Storage Considerations (1 Viewer)

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I’m considering outside storage for my Hymer. I don’t have solar, and there’s no EHU at the storage facility. How long before I need to drive somewhere to recharge the batteries. Nothing should be on other than security devices.

Do I need to worry about stuff getting damp? I currently have EHU and run a dehumidifier.

Thanks...Keith

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have been on outside storage for 7 years no solar or ehu. I usually drive it around every 3 weeks in the winter and have had no probs our m/h now 5 years old original cab and hab battery. Just moved and can now keep it at home!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
We find we need to take ours for a run every two weeks throughout the year.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We use our solar panel to top up the engine and leisure batteries. We have seen some Motorhome/caravans use portable solar units presumably that does the same thing. The tyres are another thing think about as they can flat spot if left for a month (?) or more so we move it so they sit on a different part.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I am similarly placed and find it lasts 2 or 3 weeks. Used a portable solar panel on previous storage site but not enough sun on present one. New motorhome will have Efoy Fuel Cell but that is an expensive solution and not justified by storage issue alone.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
In order to get any reasonable charge to the leisure batteries you need quite a long drive. If stored outside you should consider solar, not just for storage but allows more freedom while touring.
You definitely don't need a dehumidifier. Thhe fixed ventilation in a motorhome renders them useless. You can't dehumidify the whole world.

Deleted User
In order to get any reasonable charge to the leisure batteries you need quite a long drive. If stored outside you should consider solar, not just for storage but allows more freedom while touring.
You definitely don't need a dehumidifier. Thhe fixed ventilation in a motorhome renders them useless. You can't dehumidify the whole world.

You can't heat the whole world either so are heaters also useless?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You can't heat the whole world either so are heaters also useless?
I think the point was the vents mean moist air will enter as quickly as the air inside dries out and in a storage situation with no ehu I would agree. The only option would be some of the dryers with crystals in that absorb moisture I would have thought they would very quickly get saturated.

Deleted User
I think the point was the vents mean moist air will enter as quickly as the air inside dries out and in a storage situation with no ehu I would agree. The only option would be some of the dryers with crystals in that absorb moisture I would have thought they would very quickly get saturated.
That is exactly what I use in our static van which is left unoccupied from September to May in a very damp corner of Brittany.......no problems of mildew, damp or musty smells in 12 years. Obviously the bigger the space and the period of use will determine the amount to use.

OP
OP
G-RMPS
Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks all. I don’t have spare weight for permanent solar.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
80 watt panel is 8kilos controller brackets and wiring got to be less than 10kg you must be running close ,dump 10 litres of water perhaps
actually i found a better one
80 Watt (with 1m cable & MC4 Connector Plugs) 5.5 kg

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
That is exactly what I use in our static van which is left unoccupied from September to May in a very damp corner of Brittany.......no problems of mildew, damp or musty smells in 12 years. Obviously the bigger the space and the period of use will determine the amount to use.
I don't use anything and I doubt se England is any dryer than Brittany. As long as there is adequate fixed ventilation there should be no problem with damp. We do remove bedding.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
When we used to keep our van in storage I found the starter battery would go from raring to go to completely flat in about 3 weeks. Even when we had a new battery fitted we had the same problem.

A couple of years ago we had a solar panel and all the gubbins expertly fitted by Vanbitz and have never had a problem since.

Paul

Deleted User
I don't use anything and I doubt se England is any dryer than Brittany. As long as there is adequate fixed ventilation there should be no problem with damp. We do remove bedding.

Why do you remove bedding if damp is not a problem, that is not an option for us.

East Sussex may be drier but where we are has the same average rainfall as Manchester, which believe me is quite damp:)

Our van is left completely unattended for 8 months over the winter, every year on returning in May there is green mold on the outside of the van, for the minimal cost of a few replacement crystals every year I think we will carry on using them.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Temperature changes can make condensation worse so I avoid intermittent heating when stored. Heating comes on air gets warm and absorbs more moisture from the atmosphere, heating goes off air cools and moisture comes out of the air as condensation. Ventilation is important so I do not use any covers. I do not have damp problems.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We remove bedding to wash it, and only replace when we go away again. We leave pillows in (as they aren't washable) but remove duvets as we have several tog ratings and try to take the most suitable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back