Storage away from home , how long can you park on the drive ? (1 Viewer)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We have lived in a quiet area for more than 25 years, yet the insurance company still load us £50 for the privilege of parking our MH outside our house. As its on the public road as our drive way is not big enough :)

Thats understandable as there is a greater chance of damage parked on a road rather than on your drive.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I was told when I took out my insurance I was restricted to 36 hours parking at home unless I informed them.

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
A quick update.
I spoke to Comfort today on this subject.
If I have understood correctly.
Parked on your drive is OK for longer than this rule allows for. Given that the majority of the time it is in storage where you told them it should be.
Parked on the public road outside your drive is subject to this rule , which has recently been revised from 36hrs to 48hrs.

The rule is to prevent you parking it too long on a public road and going off walking etc. for 3 or 4 days thereby subjecting the MH to extra risk.

However it also asks that you inform them if it will be >48hrs and they will advise if they will cover it or not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Just lets clear up one thing. Comfort have no problem with you storing it on the drive ......... as long as that is where you have told them you are storing it. I know that for sure because I am with Comfort and that is where my motorhome is stored. The problem occurs when you have told them you are storing it on a secure site somewhere else and then don't for more than a stated time. That would be the same whether the "somewhere else" was your drive, or the hard shoulder of the M1!

I think most insurers have a similar requirement, or the ones i used all have had. If you stop storing your moho where you said you would you have to tell them.

And me. Very pleased with quotes from them for past four years.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
My parking is listed as unsecured car park to the rear of my flat,,,£220 a year,,,,BUSBY,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
My van is actually on the property, literally two feet from the door. Probably makes the difference.
Geoff

My van is 6 feet from kitchen window but Comfort would not quote,,BUSBY,,,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
That's a shame. I've found them very competitive.
Geoff
Only paid just over 210 pounds as it was..don' think that's bad for 9000 miles and 180 days abroad at a time..Use my own European and UK breakdown though. BUSBY.

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
I was told (by comfort) that I could park it on the drive for more than 36 hours with no problems (normally in storage) if I was using the house. They would have a problem with it though if I parked it there and then went on holiday and the house was empty.

C+C

Free Member
May 2, 2017
Gosport
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
Comfort only allow you to leave mono 48 hours unattended without underwriting the risk. Wanted to leave van 12 days with Royal Parking at Alicante airport had to complete 2 page underwriting proposal then paid £45 extra premium plus £20 MID TERM ADJUSTMENTS also upped mileage from 6000 miles pa to 10000 £45 + £20 MID TERM ADJUSTMENTS
I know it' boring but you have to read the small print, mid term adjustments equal 16 %of my premium!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back