Storage away from home , how long can you park on the drive ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Jake Royd, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Jake Royd

Jake Royd Funster

Ratings:
    +55
    In the process of buying a motorhome and looking at insurance.
    I find that Comfort (probably my favourite so far) has a limit of 36hrs for your motorhome to be on your drive instead of storage.
    This seems a little tight to me.
    If I understand correctly , you can call them and tell them it's going to be there longer (for loading, work or maintenance etc.) and you will be covered?

Would you please advise if this is a typical constraint on most motorhome policies etc.

Thank you.

2. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

Ratings:
    +2,240
    It’s a motor vehicle, if your drive is big enough it can be kept there, I would think that insurance companies would prefer it there instead of in storage. Sounds like dud information to me.

• Like it Like it x 4
  3. Clickem

Clickem Funster

Ratings:
    +416
    The insurance quote is usually based on the Post Code of the storage location, hence they are concerned if it spends a long time stored elsewhere

4. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +17,934
    No - he's right. Some insurance companies are very picky about where & how long your MH is left 'unoccupied' when not in the stated/declared storage location...

@pyro has posted at length about these onerous T&C's

5. Southdowners

Southdowners Funster

Ratings:
    +5,634
    We used to be with Comfort - never heard anything like that and can't imagine why you couldn't have your vehicle on your drive for as long as you like. Ours was always parked on the drive when not in use. Are you sure you have the correct information?

6. milliethehymer

milliethehymer Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +9,882
    Sounds reasonable to me. The premium and whether or not an alarm or tracker is required is based on where the vehicle is usually kept.

So if you live in a high risk area, and tell them it’s kept in a storage compound with full security, in a low risk area, then that’s where they’d expect it to “normally” be kept.

And vice versa of course.

36 hours is quite a long time for loading/unloading/ washing etc and gives you one overnight on the driveway or maybe 2 if for example you arrive home at 10pm after a trip.

7. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +2,062
    I think it is because Jake Royd (the OP) has designated a different location where his motorhome will be 'officially stored'. Comfort don't like it if you try to leave the van unoccupied anywhere that is not the designated storage location.

However, I think he might be OK if he has a further conversation to advise Comfort that when it is temporarily parked at home he will be checking it closely each day.

I spotted the 36 hour rule in the Ts&Cs and queried it. Although our designated storage is on our drive, we stay in a variety of other accommodation abroad when travelling in the van - we might stay for a week at a time, so not 'occupying' the van, which is parked usually on private premises. They eventually agreed that provided I could genuinely state that the vehicle was checked by me and under close observation each day we were not sleeping in it, that was fine.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +4,299
    It must arise if you tell them you keep it in storage , same as if you told them you lock it in the garage at night , but left it parked in the road all the time ?

9. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Ratings:
    +7,959

We haven't seen @pyro for a while. Hope he's OK.

• Love it Love it x 1
  10. Vanman

Vanman Funster

Ratings:
    +1,510
    All the quotes that I have had include a rule like this. It's fair enough when you think of it, otherwise you could insure it at a really cheap / safe location and then keep it at the risky / expensive one - to get around paying the correct premium.

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. Eddystone

Eddystone Funster

Ratings:
    +282
    I'm satisfied with the CMC motorhome insurance and the usual storage is listed as 'on the drive'.

• Like it Like it x 1
  12. ABZSteve

ABZSteve Funster

Ratings:
    +1,604
    My last Moho was insured based on staying on the drive overnight when not being used. I told my insurer that I may have to park on the road if I am getting work done on the drive/house etc. I was told that is fine as long as it is within the AB10 post code area. I had no tracker or alarm fitted and they insisted on neither. Will be going with the same insurer when new MoHo comes in March.

13. Jake Royd

Jake Royd Funster

Ratings:
    +55
    Thanks for your replies.
    I have not taken insurance out yet but will in the next couple of weeks.
    It's cheaper (about £40 IIRC) where I intend to store it , its a Cassoa gold site. For ovious reasons.
    I just wanted to know if other companies have different rules.

Have not checked with Comfort yet , presumably if I phone them if it's going to be >36hrs i will be OK ?

14. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +5,838
    You really need to double check with insurers and get it in writing.
    They may be happy with you parking it on your drive but not on the main road.

• Love it Love it x 1
  15. rb62

rb62 Funster

Ratings:
    +16,673
    We're with Comfort and our van has been,
    'parked on drive behind security post' for the last 5 years never been a problem,maybe your post code :(

16. Speve

Speve Funster

Ratings:
    +4,403
    Ours has been parked on our drive for last five years but it is the designated place of keeping the 36 hr rule is when you are parking elsewhere unattended there are exceptions such as at the workshops under repair etc.

17. Mrsambulancekidd

Mrsambulancekidd Funster

Ratings:
    +4,408
    We would never use a storage site, but that's our choice.
    Ours is at home at the top of a very difficult drive, so if anyone tried to steal her they'd be in bother....2 B.Collies might have something to say about it as well.:sneaky:
    Besides that MrA likes to put the heating on now and then during the winter and do general tinkering and checks, he enjoys it.(y)

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. vin0114

vin0114 Funster

Ratings:
    +1,526
    Never heard of a 36hr limit. We have had a variety of different insurers over the last 35 years who have asked where the van was to be stored and never balked at the 'on the drive' reply but probably added a few extra quido_O currently with Adrian Flux.

19. milliethehymer

milliethehymer Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +9,882
    No, indeed, they wouldn’t balk at that because that’s where you told them you parked it.

They’d certainly have something to say though if you decided to park it unattended (I.e not camping, but just keeping it there) elsewhere for a few days and hadn’t told them....

It’s all to do with letting the insurer understand the exact nature of the risk, enabling them to price and put terms in accurately. You change one of your disclosed facts/answers to a sprcific question and didn’t tell them, you are likely to find you don’t have the cover you thought you did...

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  20. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +2,062
    Spot on - that is the point that that needs to be understood in respect of MH insurance.