Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Has anyone found a solution to Spam Emails. Things that I have considered or tried:

1. New Email address – I have used the same yahoo address for over 20 years and it becomes entwined with friends, forums and accounts – why should I have to change it?

2. Mark them as Spam and Yahoo “will learn”, but Yahoo is a very slow learner and probably has the same problems as I do, in blocking Spam messages

3. Blocking Senders Email does not work as they use “dynamic Email addressing” that changes the Sender and Reply addresses, every single time

4. Yahoo has filters that you can write to identify and re-route Spam, and I have had about 10% success with these. Reading messages to try to identify filtering opportunities has probably made things worse, as the Sender can probably see that the messages has been opened and there is a (stupid) human at the other end – don’t poke the bear. Most Spam message consist of one large image and no words, so filtering by words in messages is not possible

5. Unsubscribing has the same effect as point 4 and is not intended to give you the opportunity to stop them. The whole image is one massive link so while there appears to be an “Unsubscribe” option, clicking anywhere on the whole message has the same effect

I could take the “just put up with it” option and don’t mind deleting 8 or 10 opportunities, to buy Bitcoins or win an Ipad 12, every day, but find it frustrating when I am busy or away from home, get a message and feel the need to download and read it in case it is a family emergency rather than a time waster

Has anyone found a solution? Is there a piece of software that would sit in front of Yahoo and filter these out? Is there anything that would work from the Router (BT)?

TIA

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
I run my own domain and its email server. If I get one spam email a month I consider it a bad month.
The two things that stop most spam are 1; not accepting mail from a host that doesn't have a name, ie a reverse DNS pointer record and 2; refusing mail from any host listed on spamhaus.org.
Edit grammar errors

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I think the main issue here is relying solely on Yahoo. I use Ionos for an email domain, and their filters combined with Apples, catches just about all of them.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Change to Gmail because its spam filters are brilliant. I get perhaps one or two spam emails a year now.

After creating the Gmail account you need to set up your yahoo account so it forwards all mail sent to it to your new Gmail account. This way you won't lose any genuine emails sent to your old yahoo account but you won't get any spam because Gmail will remove them. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I can remember the last time I got a spam email...... Never.
11DBD257-4ED0-4B44-8CE0-C193E100D145.jpeg

OP
OP
Clickem

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Thank you for the useful suggestions. I do have a Gmail account, which feeds into Yahoo, at the moment. So, first will try reversing that as Gmail filter appears to be better than the Yahoo offering. I also have a Domain Name, that provides Email hosting, so that can be my backup option - Many thanks

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I run my own domain and its email server. If I get one spam email a month I consider it a bad month.
The two things that stop most spam are 1; not accepting mail from a host that doesn't have a name, ie a reverse DNS pointer record and 2; refusing mail from any host listed on spamhaus.org.
Edit grammar errors
You need to be careful with spamhaus. It is not uncommon for a spammer to use a random address as the return address. That way all of the undelivered emails go back to an innocent third party plus their address often ends up on spamhaus and the innocent user has the grief. I've had to sort this out for several companies.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
You need to be careful with spamhaus. It is not uncommon for a spammer to use a random address as the return address. That way all of the undelivered emails go back to an innocent third party plus their address often ends up on spamhaus and the innocent user has the grief. I've had to sort this out for several companies.
Detnor I don't use spamhaus in that way. I use EXIM as my MTA and when a host connects to it it checks the sending IP address with spamhaus. If its listed the HELO is rejected and no data is transfered so nothing to return, and EXIM nevers sees the return or any other address. With attemps to relay messages the connection is drop immediately after the invalid RCPT command, the body of the message is never transferred.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thank you for the useful suggestions. I do have a Gmail account, which feeds into Yahoo, at the moment. So, first will try reversing that as Gmail filter appears to be better than the Yahoo offering. I also have a Domain Name, that provides Email hosting, so that can be my backup option - Many thanks
If you eventually wanted to migrate away from Yahoo to GMail you could set up an out of office reply in Yahoo to automatically advise those sending mails into Yahoo of your new GM ail address whilst still forwarding them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back