Stopping dogs getting out of van (1 Viewer)

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
How do other dog owners keep their dog(s) inside their PVC when the sliding door is open?

We will, eventually, be buying a PVC with a rear lounge and no front dinette and need to find a solution for having the dogs in the van when the sliding door is open. We are intending to get a skirt and windbreak pet enclosure combination for when stopped for the night but if we want to have the door open while just being inside the van we can't work out what would be the best solution to keep them inside.

They are confined to our kitchen overnight or when we go out etc with a barrier with a child stairgate in the middle as the kitchen and living room have no door between. Poppy definitely can't get out, and Harry could as he engages in some vigorous jumping with his back legs with his front legs over the gate... we haven't told him he can get out and so he doesn't try! :LOL:

We could try and barricade the area where the door slides, but a stairgate would be heavy and where to put it when not in use, the other issue being that I don't need more opportunities to fall over than I already have on normal inanimate objects and can see myself catching a foot and falling headfirst into the van.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I'm fitting a stairgate across the opening. Will make it so it can be removed for Winter, but during the Summer I'll leave it in place. This will mean having to open the sliding door then the gate, but not such a bad thing as the times I've opened that door and another dog has been just outside :)

Windows were more of an issue. Just finished that job:
IMG_20180514_160609.jpg

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I gave up with our old dog in our Avatar, unless the door was shut nothing would stop him getting out, he would physically go through or jump over any barrier I put in his way. :)

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2011
Chichester,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Wildax Hi Top
Exp
Since 2002
It depends on your pvc.I have a Wildax which has 2 sliding doors and both have a full height fly screen door on the inside as standard.

My dog hasn’t attempted to dive through it yet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
IMG_20160201_134056 (Medium).jpg

A lucky shot of Harry jumping! His back is on a level with the top of the gate at the highest point of the jump so he could definitely go over, but we haven't encouraged him :LOL:

IMG_20160203_143905_1 (Medium).jpg

and here he is again, half way up the door showing us his digging prowess between his toes!

Unfortunately I don't think a fly screen or being told to stay put will work with either of them - Poppy is fear aggressive, she's been attacked as a puppy and can't read dog body language, she doesn't do chatting just getting in quick with the teeth, and Harry's scared of other dogs barking and so would run (and run and run and run).

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I don't have a pvc but I like to leave the door open to let air in so I just have 3 leads joined together that's attached inside the van that way the dog can come in or out as she pleases

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Ours are always tied up outside, long leads connected to a carabiner that's attached to the chassis. They only come in when the door is closed ie it's cold or at night. We do have a solid framed fly screen door that separates from the main door, a weird Laika thing but it does get used well for keeping the dogs in although they could easily barge through it as the lock is very flimsy.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have a baby gate which I have adapted and works very well, can be easily removed if needs be and opens in and out. We've had a few different types of baby gate in our home to keep the dogs out of certain rooms and of these I found the Baby Dan ones to be the best as they have small lugs at the bottom of the gate (on both sides) which keeps the gates shut even when it's not 'locked' with the handle - to open the gate you just lift it slightly (we only tend to lock it when we travel or if there is a busy road nearby just to be safe).

Lugs:

lugs.JPG

I had a BD standard width one so I needed to modify it to make it fit, which entailed cutting off the extra vertical bars on the hinged size (outlined in blue in the below image) so it was flush with the thick upright (I removed any fixings/inserts which were slotted in first!), but they now make a BD narrow gate which doesn't have this on so will more than likely not need any modification.

BD standard:

baby dan cut down.jpg

BD narrow:
baby dan.jpg

This is what it looks like now it's finished and fitted:

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

In preparation I had to modify the camper slightly - I moved the kitchen worktop flap along (inwards) about an inch to allow sufficient space for the dog gate to be fitted without the flap hitting it. Importantly I also removed the large rubber 'block' on the sliding door (its fixed with Hex key headed bolts) as no matter how careful you are it WILL get stuck in the dog gate bars if you don't ... trust me ... been there, done that, it's a s*d to get out!

I used 2 square 'U' metal bracket that I already had in my bits box (they were originally the top mounting brackets for a vertical blind :D) and not wanting to drill/create any more holes I utilised the 2 existing panel securing screw holes near the sliding door to attach them - I simply replaced the original screws with longer ones and placed a small spacer in the recessed screw head hole to make it flush with the surface then fitted the bracket. I also placed some pads on the inside so the metal won't scratch/damage the gate and also some on the outside to make them look better cosmetically (not shown in photos); I also fitted a small block at the very bottom of the gate to ensure it can't move and interfere with the sliding flyscreen.

5.JPG

4.JPG

On the other side at the bottom of the kitchen unit I screwed on a small bracket (courtesy of my 'useful bits' box) into which the base of the gate slots and tightened up the nut to pressurise the base bar and keep it in situ - on my particular camper due to the flyscreen and very narrow place which the gate pushes against I replaced the original 'pressure pad bolt' with a smaller headed bolt but if you have a wider point to push against and/or don't have the flyscreen to contend with you could use the original one. I also put on some felt pads where the 'lugs' sit to prevent the gate rattling whilst travelling (not all shown in the below).

6.JPG

I replaced the 'pressure pad bolt' that goes into the end of the handle with a smaller headed bolt with a felt pad on the end so that it doesn't impede the use of the kitchen flap or snag the flyscreen. I also cut about 2 inches off the length of the raising part of the handle so it can't accidentally catch on the sliding door handle.

Finally on the top of the hinge side upright I fitted a small 'knob' and on the top of the gate about 6 inches away a piece of elastic of a suitable length so that when the gate is opened (either inwards or outwards) I can use this to stop it accidentally closing.

When it comes to the time to remove it in the future the only trace of it ever being fitted will be the 2 small screw holes at either side of the bottom where the small bracket and block have been fitted - I could have chosen to just stick these on instead but with our heffalump Romy I wanted to make sure they were attached very securely, however had I just used adhesive once cleaned off, it wouldn't leave a trace at all.

This is the second incarnation of the dog gate - in our Familyscout I fitted it the other way round and as a consequence had to secure it differently however we found it was a nuisance at times as we ended up having to 'walk round' it when it was opened inwards due to it protruding into the aisle but by having it mounted opening towards the cab it will cause less hassle. This is what the first version looked like:

closed - handle up.JPG
Open - inwards.JPG

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I just tell mine to stay. :) Only 9 months old, she sat at an open door looking into the activity in the tea tent most of last weekend at the Newbury Show. Took about 30 minutes over 20 short sessions to teach.

Training is easy, Sit her there in the door, tell her to stay, take a step back If she steps off, make yourself big, lean over the dog, use a deep voice and physically and not being too gentle (just like her mum wouldn't be when telling her off) physically put her back on the step. Not asking, firmly telling. Step back and repeat. , once she stays for five seconds call her off the step and deliver lots of praise, then, get her back in the van door and repeat getting a little longer stay each time, a few sessions is all Jazz needed. Some dogs might need to do it 106

I appreciate many have dogs that just will not do this, but its far fewer than you imagine so don't give up, you just have to persevere. Some dogs will need to be heaved back in the door a hundred times, but it will stick for most dogs with half a brain if you have the patience to stick at it. Sadly many dog owners are not the pack leader :D

If you rely on a gate, one day you wont shut it properly or they'll find a way through it. If you teach you dog to only leave the van when you say, you might save her life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
One of the main reasons we have the gate is because of other dogs.

Our dog is well trained (and will stay etc if I tell him etc :) ) but is still a Staff. If the door was open and another dog tried to get in, well, he's a Staff.

So to protect him from irresponsible dog owners I have to have him secure.

Actually this is the same when walking him. I have him on a harness and if in public use a muzzle (he isn't overly violent, but a lot of people see a Staff, especially a big one, and assume it's there to eat their children). So I have my dog well trained AND totally secured.

I have the big powerful dog that the media like to vilify, so I have to allow for the idiot with an untrained dog who thinks it's fine to let him off a lead on a beach. Not the dogs fault it isn't trained, the moron with the dogs fault. I've pointed this out to quite a few bad owners with not very subtle wording over the years :whistle:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Good advice Jim and our dogs do stay BUT if they see another dog outside it can be too tempting to stay put totally when our Lily especially goes into 'protect the home' mode! :rolleyes: As we wild camp and sometimes park on roads etc with the door open (eg lunch stops etc) having the gate on means we don't have to worry/watch them all the time ... it also prevents other dogs getting into the camper which we've had some try to do! o_O

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Good advice Jim and our dogs do stay BUT if they see another dog outside it can be too tempting to stay put totally when our Lily especially goes into 'protect the home' mode! :rolleyes:
A bit confused, so is your dog trained or not? You seem to be saying that they do what they want to do?

As we wild camp and sometimes park on roads etc with the door open (eg lunch stops etc) having the gate on means we don't have to worry/watch them all the time ... it also prevents other dogs getting into the camper which we've had some try to do! o_O
Funny, had motorhomes nearly 30 years and most of my mates have motorhomes, and most have dogs and I have never witnessed this phenomenon?:unsure:

How weird?

Perhaps it is because we have always had what my friends call "Proper Dogs" Who knows?

Pallets seem popular, seen them being sold at shows to keep other peoples dogs out/badly trained dogs in(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I have a baby gate which I have adapted and works very well, can be easily removed if needs be and opens in and out. We've had a few different types of baby gate in our home to keep the dogs out of certain rooms and of these I found the Baby Dan ones to be the best as they have small lugs at the bottom of the gate (on both sides) which keeps the gates shut even when it's not 'locked' with the handle - to open the gate you just lift it slightly (we only tend to lock it when we travel or if there is a busy road nearby just to be safe).

Lugs:

View attachment 233383

I had a BD standard width one so I needed to modify it to make it fit, which entailed cutting off the extra vertical bars on the hinged size (outlined in blue in the below image) so it was flush with the thick upright (I removed any fixings/inserts which were slotted in first!), but they now make a BD narrow gate which doesn't have this on so will more than likely not need any modification.

BD standard:

View attachment 233391

BD narrow:
View attachment 233392

This is what it looks like now it's finished and fitted:

View attachment 233375 View attachment 233376 View attachment 233377

In preparation I had to modify the camper slightly - I moved the kitchen worktop flap along (inwards) about an inch to allow sufficient space for the dog gate to be fitted without the flap hitting it. Importantly I also removed the large rubber 'block' on the sliding door (its fixed with Hex key headed bolts) as no matter how careful you are it WILL get stuck in the dog gate bars if you don't ... trust me ... been there, done that, it's a s*d to get out!

I used 2 square 'U' metal bracket that I already had in my bits box (they were originally the top mounting brackets for a vertical blind :D) and not wanting to drill/create any more holes I utilised the 2 existing panel securing screw holes near the sliding door to attach them - I simply replaced the original screws with longer ones and placed a small spacer in the recessed screw head hole to make it flush with the surface then fitted the bracket. I also placed some pads on the inside so the metal won't scratch/damage the gate and also some on the outside to make them look better cosmetically (not shown in photos); I also fitted a small block at the very bottom of the gate to ensure it can't move and interfere with the sliding flyscreen.

View attachment 233379

View attachment 233378

On the other side at the bottom of the kitchen unit I screwed on a small bracket (courtesy of my 'useful bits' box) into which the base of the gate slots and tightened up the nut to pressurise the base bar and keep it in situ - on my particular camper due to the flyscreen and very narrow place which the gate pushes against I replaced the original 'pressure pad bolt' with a smaller headed bolt but if you have a wider point to push against and/or don't have the flyscreen to contend with you could use the original one. I also put on some felt pads where the 'lugs' sit to prevent the gate rattling whilst travelling (not all shown in the below).

View attachment 233380

I replaced the 'pressure pad bolt' that goes into the end of the handle with a smaller headed bolt with a felt pad on the end so that it doesn't impede the use of the kitchen flap or snag the flyscreen. I also cut about 2 inches off the length of the raising part of the handle so it can't accidentally catch on the sliding door handle.

Finally on the top of the hinge side upright I fitted a small 'knob' and on the top of the gate about 6 inches away a piece of elastic of a suitable length so that when the gate is opened (either inwards or outwards) I can use this to stop it accidentally closing.

When it comes to the time to remove it in the future the only trace of it ever being fitted will be the 2 small screw holes at either side of the bottom where the small bracket and block have been fitted - I could have chosen to just stick these on instead but with our heffalump Romy I wanted to make sure they were attached very securely, however had I just used adhesive once cleaned off, it wouldn't leave a trace at all.

This is the second incarnation of the dog gate - in our Familyscout I fitted it the other way round and as a consequence had to secure it differently however we found it was a nuisance at times as we ended up having to 'walk round' it when it was opened inwards due to it protruding into the aisle but by having it mounted opening towards the cab it will cause less hassle. This is what the first version looked like:

View attachment 233394 View attachment 233395

Wow, that's absolutely brilliant!

Thank you so much (y)

Just showed it to Mark and he said, I've got all those brackets in my "box of bits".

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
The problem for us with Poppy goes right back to her puppy days - she was in puppy training and doing well, but at 4 months old she broke all the toes in one of her front feet - a total accident as I was not more than 2 feet away at the time, but my son was holding her and she tried to jump out of his arms to me, he grabbed her and somehow her foot got bent in the excitement! She had an operation and had pins put into each bone to hold them in place and was then splinted and on cage rest for 6 weeks total. When she was allowed to come off cage rest I was with her in the woods with our very old creaky Welshie (15 yrs old) and a dog walking pack came hurtling up to us, the Welshie was deaf and nearly blind and so didn't really know much about it but an Irish terrier went for Poppy, the dog walker was totally useless, didn't control the dog and by the time we managed to extricate Poppy and Conker from the pack Poppy was a total quivering mess which turned into full on aggression - she can't identify which dogs are friendly and just want to say hello and have a run around and which might be attacking!

She's now scared of other dogs, and other owners can say all they like about how their dog is fine... "yours might be, but mine isn't", she's muzzled and walked on a long line which we pick up when we see other dogs, she does all the things terriers do - muddy puddles, ditches etc and gets security from knowing that we "have her".

It isn't a case of saying no, or telling her to sit, if another dog approaches her or she sees one then she will go for it - we've had a lot of expensive training to learn how to work with her and not to have her put down as that was a serious consideration - we'd rather have her as she is than not have her at all and so have learnt ways round things so that she isn't put into situations which absolutely terrify her!

A lot of people don't realise what fear aggression is really like for an animal who is affected by it... she's a sweet loving dog, loves Harry with all her heart and they eat, sleep and play together, no aggression at all - he's her "family" - but she is terrified of other dogs, there's no "chat" or "hmm are you ok?", she would literally get in first every time - but holding her to a short lead and keeping on walking works for us - she's 5 now and things have calmed down, but she will never be able to walk without a muzzle or long line, it just isn't worth the risk!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
When we don’t have the dog pen/windbreak set up we use something like this

iapyx® Stake-Out Spike Spiral Stake with Dog Lead 4.5m M Ground Anchor Ground Anchor with Running Lead Amazon product ASIN B01MUHU6YU
That would work for Harry, but not for Poppy and her issues, she's best kept behind the gate unless we have the windbreak pet enclosure set up.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
[QUOTE="Minxy Girl, post: 2855028, member: 149" ... it also prevents other dogs getting into the camper which we've had some try to do! o_O[/QUOTE]
Have on more than one occassion just managed to stop a dog as it cocked it's leg inside my van, another case of owners not following good practice. ie keep on a lead when on site or should that be under control at all times. Neither a dog owner nor hater.

Upvote 0

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
The problem for us with Poppy goes right back to her puppy days - she was in puppy training and doing well, but at 4 months old she broke all the toes in one of her front feet - a total accident as I was not more than 2 feet away at the time, but my son was holding her and she tried to jump out of his arms to me, he grabbed her and somehow her foot got bent in the excitement! She had an operation and had pins put into each bone to hold them in place and was then splinted and on cage rest for 6 weeks total. When she was allowed to come off cage rest I was with her in the woods with our very old creaky Welshie (15 yrs old) and a dog walking pack came hurtling up to us, the Welshie was deaf and nearly blind and so didn't really know much about it but an Irish terrier went for Poppy, the dog walker was totally useless, didn't control the dog and by the time we managed to extricate Poppy and Conker from the pack Poppy was a total quivering mess which turned into full on aggression - she can't identify which dogs are friendly and just want to say hello and have a run around and which might be attacking!

She's now scared of other dogs, and other owners can say all they like about how their dog is fine... "yours might be, but mine isn't", she's muzzled and walked on a long line which we pick up when we see other dogs, she does all the things terriers do - muddy puddles, ditches etc and gets security from knowing that we "have her".

It isn't a case of saying no, or telling her to sit, if another dog approaches her or she sees one then she will go for it - we've had a lot of expensive training to learn how to work with her and not to have her put down as that was a serious consideration - we'd rather have her as she is than not have her at all and so have learnt ways round things so that she isn't put into situations which absolutely terrify her!

A lot of people don't realise what fear aggression is really like for an animal who is affected by it... she's a sweet loving dog, loves Harry with all her heart and they eat, sleep and play together, no aggression at all - he's her "family" - but she is terrified of other dogs, there's no "chat" or "hmm are you ok?", she would literally get in first every time - but holding her to a short lead and keeping on walking works for us - she's 5 now and things have calmed down, but she will never be able to walk without a muzzle or long line, it just isn't worth the risk!
You give some very good reasons here why all of us should keep our dogs tethered or on leads on sites, or walks etc

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
upload_2018-5-24_9-18-23.png

A bit confused, so is your dog trained or not? You seem to be saying that they do what they want to do?
Lily is a Patterdale terrier and extremely strong willed so can make a dash for the door, she doesn't necessarily go out of it though but it's not worth the risk if she does and get hit by a car, so we'll stick to the tried and trusted 'safe' method of using a baby gate.

upload_2018-5-24_9-18-53.png

Funny, had motorhomes nearly 30 years and most of my mates have motorhomes, and most have dogs and I have never witnessed this phenomenon?:unsure:

How weird?
We have it happen every now and then abroad as there are more strays there which can come up to the camper for a bit of a nosy/grub ... some have tried to get in and that can really upset our dogs as our 'home' gets invaded ... we've even had kiddies try to clamber in before today!

Perhaps it is because we have always had what my friends call "Proper Dogs" Who knows?
You mean peddies with lots of inbreeding problems ... ? :rolleyes: If so our Lily is a 'proper' dog as she's a pure Patterdale. Or do you mean 'big' dogs in which case our Romy is one as she's a cross Greyhound/Staffie and a heffalump. :D Please clarify ... :)

Pallets seem popular, seen them being sold at shows to keep other peoples dogs out/badly trained dogs in(y)
Yes, it amazes me what people will pay for them ... but then again some people will buy anything at shows ... even motorhomes! :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
You mean peddies with lots of inbreeding problems ... ? :rolleyes: If so our Lily is a 'proper' dog as she's a pure Patterdale. Or do you mean 'big' dogs in which case our Romy is one as she's a cross Greyhound/Staffie and a heffalump. :D Please clarify ... :)
I "think" that they meant not "Rat like" rather than reference to the known breed / mongrels argument that everyone is having.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
View attachment 233422 Hi, our Knaus pvc has a fly screen fitted which is great for acting as a dog guard & viewing point, the dog would need to be of the less excitable type though & not prone to just leaping right through it. It works really well for Daisy.
Do I spot yet another Globecar owner???? :D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back