LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We have a 16 yr Merc 312 and I wonder what the optimum time is for turning off the engine - is it better to leave it running while stationary for x mins or turn it off? What is the shortest time it is worth turning the engine off for?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
If you have a turbo, and/or you have been 'pulling hard' before you stop, it's recommended that you let the engine idle for a few mins before switching off.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
above advice is correct....let the turbo spin down and cool before switching off. probably about 2 minutes. then switch off if its going to be another 5 minutes. all depends on the health of the starter and charging systems though. no 2 older vehicles are the same

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Putting aside turbo issues those on mpg economy competitions will turn off the engine after as little as 30 seconds - but this is with petrol engines and the optimum could be a bit longer for diesels. However, in a queue, think of those stationary near you and turn it off! :)

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
No turbo. The system seems fine. Diesel engine which regularly gets treated but can be a bit smokey so I tend to turn it off but wondered whether I would generate more emissions by turning it on and off regularly or leaving it on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back