Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
We were‘searched by French customs on our way back to England a few years ago. When we asked if he wanted to look in the loo he declined and said “all I really need to do is smell the air - if there was anyone in here I’d smell them”!

What!

Beats sniffer dogs I surpose

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 22, 2014
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Do not own one, but I dri
Exp
I`m a newbie
I was followed 4 years ago on the Madrid Ring Road by 4 guys in a dark blue Peugeot and they were beckoning me to stop. They had Yellow Vests and flashed documents suggesting they were official persons. They approached my Mercedes Estate from behind, alongside and from in front.I ignored all of their efforts and remained in the second and third lanes from the right so that i could not be forced off the road. Eventually they gave up and drove off. Nowadays I always have my Phone or Camera at the ready.

Macca1954

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
We got pulled off the dual carriageway, near Chartres yesterday, by a customs vehicle, which displayed a message in the rear window for us to follow, about a mile, off the dual carriageway and into a layby

They had a look in the garage and poked around inside the van. Asked if we had any covers for the carpets before he went in. When we said no, he kindly removed his boots before entering

The search was not thorough, and if we had wanted to hide/carry anything their search would not have found it. They asked where we had come from, where we were going, how much money we had and if we smoked. I guess they go more on impressions than a thorough search. They said they were looking for anything, drugs, currency, and weapons.

As we pulled out of the laybye another car pulled in with a following motorhome, so guess they were having a purge
Have a 19 plate vehicle. We were behind one that got pulled the same way on the same day

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
If they are pulling in all the new ones. My old one will sail past. It will be 30 years old next April. But will not be going down to Portugal until next September.

Macca1954

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Are you asking if we have a 19 plate vehicle? because the answer is yes
[/QUOTE
sorry missed out the do you. Just to say we were behind you
sorry missed out the crucial do you! We were behind you never seen that before. Must of been getting some overtime in

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
I have been stopped by customs twice once when I travelled through Andora to Spain at easter. When I left Toulouse it was 25/27deg C so I was wearing shorts, but as I drove up the mountain it started to snow so was very cold, hence I did not stop, so when I was checked on the Spanish side they considered it very strange that I had not purchased anything!
The second time was returning home at Porstmouth dock were the customs man searched the car and underneath for drugs. He said that as I lived in France and had the car serviced there it was possible that a garage could weld a box with drugs to the chassis then steal the car on entry to the UK!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
It must be me. If asked to stop I do .I've never 'followed' anyone , even in the Uk, off the road. I stop where I am.
& my answers to the above would be
Why?
Why?
wtf has it to do with you & if I was carrying in excess of the 10k euros limit I'd have decared it before leaving spain.
Why? Do want to ponce a fag ?
I can hear the squelch of latex gloves being donned as you speak ;)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I have been stopped by customs twice once when I travelled through Andora to Spain at easter. When I left Toulouse it was 25/27deg C so I was wearing shorts, but as I drove up the mountain it started to snow so was very cold, hence I did not stop, so when I was checked on the Spanish side they considered it very strange that I had not purchased anything!
The second time was returning home at Porstmouth dock were the customs man searched the car and underneath for drugs. He said that as I lived in France and had the car serviced there it was possible that a garage could weld a box with drugs to the chassis then steal the car on entry to the UK!
As in French connection one and the suspect, frog1.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
We were pulled over and had to follow french plod into a security area coming back from Portugal, they searched every where, even crunched the whole of our silver screens, asked if we had come through Andorra, said we didn't then just left us, they got the "hump" because decided to have a brew up in their security area. had fun watching them going through lorries, cars and motorhomes.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We where pulled over on the Madrid ring rd by an unidentified car with a card waving "plain clothes police man" He demanded to see passports and vehicle documents, l didn't like the look of him and asked him to show his police pass, which he waved about again so I refused. He then said we must follow him to the police station for questioning and we would be hour's. O K I said let's do it, he then got back in his car and disappeared faster than Hamilton.
I would always ignore an unmarked vehicle..BUSBY.

Mar 10, 2021
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
I got stopped at Roscoff boarding a Brittany Ferry to Plymouth.
First they checked the bathroom and storage areas for any unaccounted for passengers.
Then I drove through the barrier to by pulled over by 2 female custom officials asking if I had anything to declare which I hadn't asked me where I had visited had I been to Spain etc no explained where in France I had visited told them to check my passport to verify there is no Spanish stamp on it.

The one official told me to step back while she searched the van went all through the storage areas and under the seats etc came out fetched a sniffer dog and done the whole process again. Found nothing.

Then a tall burly guy arrived and started the whole process again
I said why are you checking it all over apparently she was searching for drugs he is now searching for tobaccos I replied but you have seen the van is empty when you did your search you would have seen if there where packets of cigarettes' on board, no reply he then comes out and goes to get another sniffer dog and goes all over the van again only this time its a bigger dog and he's lifting it up to sniff the lockers etc
Worst thing is the dog sniffed my half full rolling tobacco in my ruck sack which I had already informed them of and thought it might be a good idea to remove the rucksack before the dog went into the van but no left it there while the dog went crazy and scratched all my bathroom door.

I was not happy in the least and told them I wanted to complain
Another official arrived and gave me a sheet of paper to fill in and said it might be months before I hear anything from them
I feel I don't have much hope in any recompense and why would I try and smuggle French tobacco into the UK as it its the same cost there as it is here and I am boarding a ferry where I can buy it duty free
Anyway as you can imagine it put a downer on my French holiday.

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
I would click the 'dislike' button. Presumably they were meeting some quota of searches and you were unlucky in the lottery. Hope yu get some recompense, but I'll be surprised if you do.

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
I don't 'like' the events you've related, so I didn't put 'like' for your post despite feeling it was a good post to let others know what goes on, and there is no 'dislike' button to click, so just expressing appreciation of your post

sospan

Free Member
Sep 6, 2021
south Wales
Funster No
MH
One for business use
I was chatting to a fellow Brit in a hotel bar in France in the late 80's. He mentioned that he was off to get his sack full of tobacco and crates of booze to take back to the UK. I did the usual and asked if he was scarred of being stopped. He replied that since his van is marked as medical supplies, he is always stopped on the continent and back in Dover and it is never a problem.

He took me outside to see his van, expecting to see some hidden compartment or cubby hole. Instead it was nicely rigged out with custom made slide out drawers. He beckoned me to open one - hundreds of human glass eyes glinting back at me! Allegedly by the time the officials have opened three or four drawers they have had enough and let him through

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I hadn't asked me where I had visited had I been to Spain etc no explained where in France I had visited told them to check my passport to verify there is no Spanish stamp on it.
You would not get a stamp if using land border crossings in schengen never see anyone at them🤔

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I have frequently obeyed instructions on a 'FOLLOW ME' vehicle....

........in my Boeing 737 to get the correct route to the airport gate. :D2 I could have been lost otherwise, they thought;)

Well it gave them a job.
Great nice to have a laugh on a Monday morning

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back