Stopover needed near Cove,(Farnborough) GU. (1 Viewer)

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We need to be in Cove for a couple of days 21-23 of February. Wondering if anyone can recommend anywhere please?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
You could probably stay in the Monkey Puzzle (Brewers Fayre) car park near Cove it has a large car park which it shares with The Premier Inn. Might be handy for an evening meal, beers are pretty good, should be OK staying overnight if you ask them.

There is also The Basingstoke Canal Centre, it has its own caravan site, great quiet place to stay,lovely walks along the canal, with narrow boats etc. its just the other side of the A331 from Farnborough & Cove. Google Earth it you can see the site next to the canal centre, very good Cafe on site, there is also a Potters Pub Restaurant nearby also, but I would recommend The Swan along the canal further down. Give them a call to book and make sure they are open before March as I am not sure.
Basingstoke Canal Centre Campsite
Mytchett Place Road
Mytchett
Surrey (Browse area)
GU16 6DD
Tel: 01252 370073

Hope that helps
Les

OP
OP
DP+JAY

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Thanks Les, Have used the canal campsite previously , but it's closed till March.
Brewers Fayre might be worth asking though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Thanks Les, Have used the canal campsite previously , but it's closed till March.
Brewers Fayre might be worth asking though.
Oh Bugger!, I guessed the canal centre may well be closed over winter, hence the phone call suggestion.
Hope all goes well with your visit, I dont know if you would have any other method of transport whilst visiting, as there is of course the CCC site at Chertsey on the side of the Thames, very popular I hear.
Looks to open all year, but Sods law that its also closed over winter, but may be worth a check also.
Les

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The "Old Ford" Farnborough (51.27560°N 0.73127°W) WAS shown as being a Pub Stopover?

Little Bramshott Farm, Fleet Road. We have used several times (not cheap for a CL) and the driveway needs refurbishing, but has security and has EHU.

Years ago we lived just around the corner from the Basingstoke Canal Center, (when It was still a school) It got a poor reputation for thefts and vandalism in later years. The site is open to the ranges behind.

There is a dearth of sites in that area, (expensive land?). We still have family local, and find it difficult to get sites unless we can use someone's driveway!. We attended a wedding last summer and stayed on the hotel car park!. And plan to do like-wise this year for another wedding!.

Last edited:

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
The Fox and Goose at Greywell
Near Hook
Free camping as long as you use pub for at least a drink .

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Wow , cove I remember that’s where I did my army training royal engineers ! 1971 , you must be able to wildcamp near cove edge of the ranges / rush moor arena area /church crookham ?

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Little Bramshott Farm on the A3013 between Fleet and Cove is probably the closest - its a C&CC CS:

Alternatively people sometimes stay in the Crookham Wharf canal car park just down from the Exchequer pub - though according to Camper Contact access is available only when the car park gates are open.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Wow , cove I remember that’s where I did my army training royal engineers ! 1971 , you must be able to wildcamp near cove edge of the ranges / rush moor arena area /church crookham ?
Not really many places left any more - a lot of the army land has been fenced off because of dog walkers and mountain bikers abusing the access privileges :mad: If you arrive late and leave early then maybe you'd get away with it

Trying to think of other areas....the Crown & Cushion at Minley has a fairly large car park - might be worth giving them a call and asking if you could stay over? Ditto the Barleymow near Winchfield. In fact you might be able to get away with it in the canal car park down the lane opposite the pub?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Not really many places left any more - a lot of the army land has been fenced off because of dog walkers and mountain bikers abusing the access privileges :mad: If you arrive late and leave early then maybe you'd get away with it

Trying to think of other areas....the Crown & Cushion at Minley has a fairly large car park - might be worth giving them a call and asking if you could stay over? Ditto the Barleymow near Winchfield. In fact you might be able to get away with it in the canal car park down the lane opposite the pub?
Barley mow at Winchfield is a great shout and they used to do a lovely pint of Directors in there.
Round the back of the old Military stadium (if its still there) might be worth a look if wilding is in order

OP
OP
DP+JAY

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Refused to renew our CMC this year, they've had all they're getting out of me the robbing barstewards. Have used the fox & goose before & probably will again. Thanks all.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Forgot all about The Crown & Cushion Pub, as I have not been for many years, great beers, think it changed hands way back, looks like a good option as they have slip parking for the canal, as well as their large car park.
I must try out the Barley Mow at winchfield, great for a Sunday Lunch.
Great suggestions thus far, keep em coming, even I am learning something here:D
Les

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Depends how far out you want to be?. Odiham and Winchfield. have C-L`s. As Does Wokingham?. Stream Farm on the A324 Near Worplesdon may still be open? (nearly opposite the Royal Oak Pub?). They closed access to much of the ranges in the 80`s in many spots, at the height of the "troubles" following the attempted bombings in Aldershot. (my 17yr old son`s car nearly got blown up by the bomb squad after the daft bugger left it parked near Keogh barracks, without telling them, when it ran out of petrol!) BTW. Useless information:- Rudolf Hess spent most of the war confined at nearby Mytchett Place, Now used By Frazer Nash.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
We live near Deepcut Barracks, & Chobham Ranges, they are currently widening the roundabout access roads at Red Road as there is going to be a massive influx of additional vehicles, when they have demolished the barracks and built 3750 new homes:eek:.
The usual questions arise:
Where are they all going to work?
Where are they going to get GP services?
Schools?
As for any chance of a bit of FLT going forward, chances are slim I reckon.:(
Les

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
I was also there in 1971 doing basic training. 71/13 party happy days

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Ex , me 71/11 then neiburg, bfpo801, Batus(Canada ) , waterbeach , perham down (tidworth) happy days for sure !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back