Stop over between San Sebastian and Zaragoza (1 Viewer)

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Date 21st December.

Looking for a secure stop over site between San Sebastian and Zaragoza. The latter is really the area we would prefer to then leaving about 450km run into Camping Villamar in Benidorm the following day.

I have tried Acsi and find searchforsites with no luck. We don't need electricity really, it's just to have something to eat and get our heads down.

Thanks in advance.

Phil n Kim

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Aire at olite
Screenshot_20181211-085253_Maps.jpg
. Town is very old and great to visit. Worth staying a couple of nights.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Good aire in Pamplona,,BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Easy drive from San Sebastian to Zaragoza so I would suggest overnighting on the services at Sobradiel just north of the city. It is open 24/7 and I have stopped there many times quite safely. Park in the coach section.

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
@Xabia @Brisey Thank you. Not very familiar with Spain, yet, France I understand the routiers for dining and parking overnight, same the motorway services here, normally, no problems whatsoever but Spain represents a steep learning curve, trying to distinguish between the horror stories and the reality. We will be stopping just up the road from you @Brisey at Villamar so may well call in for a few sherberts and say thanks in perosn. IF we can get through the soddin Gillet Juane.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We've stopped at Sobradiel as well on our way down and we are a bit wimpy about where we park but felt perfectly safe. We did notice in October this year when we stopped there to change drivers but not to sleep over that they had no fuel but it wasn't clear if it was a permanent thing.
We stopped at the other side on our return journey for the same reason 10 days ago and they definitely had fuel.

Janiemou

Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
We have stayed at Camping Ezcaba, in Pamplona. Four of us had to be helped out of the snow the next morning, but it was fine for a night.

Deleted User
@Xabia @Brisey Thank you. Not very familiar with Spain, yet, France I understand the routiers for dining and parking overnight, same the motorway services here, normally, no problems whatsoever but Spain represents a steep learning curve, trying to distinguish between the horror stories and the reality. We will be stopping just up the road from you @Brisey at Villamar so may well call in for a few sherberts and say thanks in perosn. IF we can get through the soddin Gillet Juane.

Many of the fuel stations on the main roads in Spain are connected to large restaurants with large parking areas for all vehicles and we and many others have overnighted safely on these and enjoyed good meals.

Personally I avoid stopping near large cities, especially Barcelona.

The services on the motorways are similar to the UK but quite often with better food and are usually perfectly safe.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
There are good "aires" along your route although unfortunately not many. We've used them in the past quite happily although you'd be better getting on them as reasonably early as you can because they do fill up. Campercontact is good for finding them.

Have never thought about using the motorway rest areas probably because a. we don't use motorways and b. the general advice not to use French ones.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I would recommend going farther South than Zaragoza as it's only about a 3 hour drive. Will make next days drive a lot easier too.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

Spanish truck stops are excellent and cheap. BUSBY.

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
@Boringfrog We are starting from Gemozac in France and Zaragoza is about the furtherest we can do reasonably

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
@busby is there a list/index of Spanish truck stops? Having used the French equivalent frequently I would like to use them where possible. I have heard with the truck stops only to use the "secure" ones is this also true or another knee jerk panick response?

cantonalegod

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8086df
Exp
If you just want somewhere to cook and sleep we always stay at the Parque de Atracciones de Zaragoza.

It is basically a theme park car park on the south east side of the city.

Basic, no facilities, nice setting and walks, quiet at night.

Normally a few other motorhomes staying. :xsmile:

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Ok so not exactly what you asked but a really easy aire with dump and water about 20 miles south of Zaragoza is at Carinena. It is a minute off the A23 N330. There are bars and supermarkets a few minutes walk away and great for an early start to get over the hills to Valencia.

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
Another fan of Olite here.

Convenient, just off the main route. Free flat gravel area with water & emptying. A pretty walled town only 50mitres away. Cheap fuel on the NA 8602 as you enter the town from the north. (y)

Terry

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Truck stops have the required facilities but do not forget the amount of fridge motors coming up from Spain to UK and The rest of EU. I used smaller garages and cafe sites.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Many of the fuel stations on the main roads in Spain are connected to large restaurants with large parking areas for all vehicles and we and many others have overnighted safely on these and enjoyed good meals.

Personally I avoid stopping near large cities, especially Barcelona.

The services on the motorways are similar to the UK but quite often with better food and are usually perfectly safe.
That is all I use .Ideal ,plenty of space especially on the ones with the extra parking for when they park them up in winter snow clearance.
Have never thought about using the motorway rest areas probably because a.
From zaragoza to Sagunt/Valencia is A23 basically a dual carriageway upgrade. any service area is an ideal stop .
Best one for me is Stop 176. acres of tarmac parking & plenty of open ground for dog.

@busby is there a list/index of Spanish truck stops? Having used the French equivalent frequently I would like to use them where possible. I have heard with the truck stops only to use the "secure" ones is this also true or another knee jerk panick response?
As above any of them are excellent .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Jerk knee response,,BUSBY.

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
@gus-lopez you mentioned stop 176 where is that? Is there a specific map or listing for Spanish "truck stop style stopover/restaurants. Please forgive my ignorance, in France we prefer the truckstops for good value and quality food and wish to search for the same in Spain. After reading comments on here and elsewhere I cannot accept that all in Spain are just waiting to gas and rob us.

Tanks in advance
Phil

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
@gus-lopez you mentioned stop 176 where is that? Is there a specific map or listing for Spanish "truck stop style stopover/restaurants. Please forgive my ignorance, in France we prefer the truckstops for good value and quality food and wish to search for the same in Spain. After reading comments on here and elsewhere I cannot accept that all in Spain are just waiting to gas and rob us.

Tanks in advance
Phil
Hi it's called Stop "176" probably because it is 176kms from the Sagunt/Valenci end of the A23. All the kms are measured from that end. I've used most of them along the route & all are excellent for both food ,parking & overnight stops. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur..._176-Caminreal_Province_of_Teruel_Aragon.html

You can also get the co-ords from on here if you are a member

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=26199

Teruel has some decent areas & there is one after all the 3 Teruel exits towards Valencie 'Sierra de Javalambre' Good food, fuel, jeton if needed behind fuel station .lots of parking but gets very full of lorries out the back.

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
@gus-lopez Thank you - thank you and thank you yet again. All the way through France and not a penny on tolls, came through then Somport Tunnel, fantastic views, no really FANTASTIC through Zaragoza and stopped at 176 tow course meal and a beer for two 25 euros, had to check twice to ensure the price was correct. Site is video camera controlled and after about 2100h was very quite .... and free. All the way from Gemozac France to Benidorm and the only tolls for the whole journey 13euros and that only because I dropped a clanger with my satnav. All bandits were fought off and no damage. Also thanks to @busby for the reassurance that the "huge dangers" in travelling in Spain are simply knee jerk. Happy bunnies in the sun.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back