Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Not sure where to post this so apologies if its in the wrong section but im sure its in everybodys interest to take note &/or sign.

http://action.sumofus.org/a/national-parks-fracking/?sub=fb

Britain’s treasured national parks could become drilling sites in a recent move by the government to open them up to fracking by big oil and gas companies. It’s part of a wider government plan inviting companies to apply for licenses to drill for oil and gas all across the UK -- and about half the country is up for grabs.

The current process to get a licence to drill in the UK is long and relatively robust, but Minister for Energy Matthew Hancock wants to speed up the process so companies can start drilling with six months of making an application.

And we all know what that means: cut corners and bad decisions.Unfortunately, once our national parks have been desecrated by fracking, there’s no coming back.

Tell the government to immediately remove national parks from the list of areas open to fracking operations.

Fracking is an especially destructive form of oil and gas drilling -- it uses a technique of breaking up rock to get to oil supplies, and there are serious environmental concerns. Ground water can be contaminated by the gases and toxic chemicals used in the fracking process. And waste from the fracking process is commonly mishandled.

The big losers of the fracking process are us: our health is at risk, while the big oil companies take the profits.

The government is defending its decision by saying that people living in or around national parks will be protected by tougher rules for fracking. But at the same time, it has removed the ability for millions of homeowners to stop companies from drilling directly under their properties.

An outright ban would protect our national parks and areas of outstanding natural beauty in Britain.

The government is touting the potential temporary benefits of a new oil or gas discovery. But is the potential permanent loss of our natural beauty really worth it?

Send your message to the government: protect our national parks from fracking by big oil.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks Rob for posting this. I have already done my bit trying to support you on this but feel like been banging our heads against a brick wall.

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Cheers Joy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'm neither for or against fracking, nor am I against wind turbines, solar parks , generating waste from rubbish or nuclear power. What I am against is the NIMBY (not in my back yard) mentality that's holding this country back from meeting it's future energy needs. Maybe when the lights start going out people will realise that we need put our personal views to one side and do what is right for our children and our grandchildren

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Or we could move to Cornwall where they have stopped some fracking I believe, I wonder why if it is so harmless? :whistle:
I'm neither for or against fracking, nor am I against wind turbines, solar parks , generating waste from rubbish or nuclear power. What I am against is the NIMBY (not in my back yard) mentality that's holding this country back from meeting it's future energy needs. Maybe when the lights start going out people will realise that we need put our personal views to one side and do what is right for our children and our grandchildren

Thinking of our children's future and the future of the world may need to be looked at from another angle, surely? Yes, the lights would start to go out if we don't do something .. so do we rob Peter to pay Paul and destroy the world anyway by not thinking of the damage fracking is doing.

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
There is an alternate power source out there its just that its being hidden from us as oil is the power of greed.
Im no eco warrior but im defo against fracking.

Tesla was on the right track & so was Edward Leedskalnin

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
so do we rob Peter to pay Paul and destroy the world anyway by not thinking of the damage fracking is doing.

Like I said I am neither for or against fracking nor will I make a decision until I've seen how it works in the UK which is geologically very different than how it works in the US.
The awkward truth with all energy generation us that there is an environmental impact somewhere. Somebody has to pay the price . Years ago I used to live near a Nuclear power station. There were protestors who came from afar and there were locals who appreciated the many high quality high paid jobs that the industry created. I don't think there is a single solution to our future energy needs however fracking may be a valuable part of it, in the right place and with the proper safeguards.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hate to admit it, but I am a doom and gloomer anyway on the future of this world, unless something drastic is done. In another fifty years there will not be enough food, housing, etc etc ..... Pass me the gun:(:( I think Nature will need to take over if we are to be saved at all, and if it doesn't then ...... ...... ... .. .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Who can you believe...Previous Governments encouraged us to buy DIESEL vehicles but now they tell us they pollute more than petrol..Electric cars sound good but is the power station that produces electricity GREEN as they say. Dont believe any of them because the world is still flat, must be or we would fall off..BUSBY:LOL:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Fracking can be perfectly safe if done properly. Mistakes have been made in this country, fracking where there was a fault line, but lessons have been learned and if properly supervised, unlike I suspect what happened in the US, no one need worry. This is not to say the drillers should be given carte blanche. Let them start and keep a close ear to the ground, literally in a sense, and check they are aware of what is happening down there.

Of course I am "safe" here in the south west as there is nothing down here the frackers want to exploit (at the moment) but other companies are going to open a tungsten mine 5 miles from my home soon and I don't have a problem with that.
Personally I'm all for renewables but realistically that isn't a solution in the near term.

As for "desecrating national parks" having been brought up near the Lake District I never felt the old lead mines and workings were a desecration. Snowdons got a huge hole in it where they took away the slate I think. But of course they don't count as it happened in the past!

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My vote goes for whatever home-grown energy source stops us having to treat Middle Eastern dictators like the sun shines out of their arses, and means the EU can stand up to Putin and tell him where to stick his gas.

If we have to frack, let's frack. If nuclear would stop us having to bum-lick the likes of Gadaffi then let's split atoms. Better still, let's find ways of using less. Fusion power can't come soon enough.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Or we could move to Cornwall where they have stopped some fracking I believe, I wonder why if it is so harmless? :whistle:T

Don't think it's even started down here, we have the wrong sub strata, we don't have shail ,we have solid granite! , I can honestly say there is no licences here in Cornwall ,on offer, to drill for gas, (fracking). In the past the powers to be have spent a few million drilling for "hot rocks" Geothermal energy! Nothing! So !come to Cornwall by all means! We aint got Fracking, we aint got Geothermal!

But hey! Ladies! us Cornishmen (just a little correction here US! Cornish Kiwis too) we'll keep ee warm me'ansome!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Hate to admit it, but I am a doom and gloomer anyway on the future of this world, unless something drastic is done. In another fifty years there will not be enough food, housing, etc etc ..... Pass me the gun:(:( I think Nature will need to take over if we are to be saved at all, and if it doesn't then ...... ...... ... .. .

Ordinary man has been under threat since he first stood on earth and still is - but we are still here

(y)(y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
There is an alternate power source out there its just that its being hidden from us as oil is the power of greed.
Im no eco warrior but im defo against fracking.

Tesla was on the right track & so was Edward Leedskalnin
There are options out there for power sources, and i know that as a fact. my grandfather invented a way of powering a car using water many years ago. no sooner had he patented the idea than the powers that be at the time put pressure on him to sell the patent to the petrol companies. since then, it been buried away and denied with action taken against anyone else that tries to re-invent it

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I say let the franking begin and let the tree huggers frezz there will be so many environmental concessions to for fill by both the drilling contractor and the oil gas company's that you would hardly know they were there I know I have had to put op with the bullsit for years
we need the gas and as soon as possible

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
There are options out there for power sources, and i know that as a fact. my grandfather invented a way of powering a car using water many years ago. no sooner had he patented the idea than the powers that be at the time put pressure on him to sell the patent to the petrol companies. since then, it been buried away and denied with action taken against anyone else that tries to re-invent it

Ive heard similar before I once met a guy who after being paralyzed in an accident designed the normal car engine to run on water & sold it off to some big companies only to have it buried, stuff like this is continually happening to keep us mortals spending.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Ive heard similar before I once met a guy who after being paralyzed in an accident designed the normal car engine to run on water & sold it off to some big companies only to have it buried, stuff like this is continually happening to keep us mortals spending.

Do you really think a "secret" like this could be buried ?? I don't ! If some "ordinary" guy could "discover" how to run a car engine on water then some bright lads and lasses at Universities could surely have done the same, and they would have told all their mates all about it and patented it asap !!

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
But back to the subject of fracking. Yes, get on with it !!! If your worried about the environmental impact esp in National Parks etc look at Wytch Farm in Dorset. Been happily producing oil for umpteen years, it's only two miles from Corfe Castle and most people would not know it was there !! Surrounded by trees, very little vehicle movement from it.

Winter 15/16 is going to be very tight for electricity supplies, Ferry C going on fire may make winter 14/15 tight for electric supply, I don't know. And if Russia winds the handles down on gas supply then a lot of us may be shivering over those winters. If that happens then I think the people against fracking will be in the minority !!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Do you really think a "secret" like this could be buried ?? I don't ! If some "ordinary" guy could "discover" how to run a car engine on water then some bright lads and lasses at Universities could surely have done the same, and they would have told all their mates all about it and patented it asap !!

I'm with you these urban myths about water powered cars have been around for years.
Sorry I don't believe it either.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

I'm amazed how many people I've known over the years claim exactly the same about petrol companies buying out patents, I worked with an engineer once who developed a water system that injected water into the cylinders that through steam generated increased combustion pressure, unfortunately he couldn't control the pressure and I witnessed four spark plugs blowing holes in the car bonnet:eek:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
How much would you charge the oil company to keep it off the market 1 billion 10 billion ?????

Mar 17, 2010
MANSFIELD
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
early 2010
Fracking has been done on a number of wells in the midlands without any issues. Some of these wells are situated in places that were thought to be in an environmental impact area but even the locals were unaware. Gas from these wells supplied a number of industrial units with cheap gas.
How do I know all this? I was the project engineer.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Fracking has been done on a number of wells in the midlands without any issues. Some of these wells are situated in places that were thought to be in an environmental impact area but even the locals were unaware. Gas from these wells supplied a number of industrial units with cheap gas.
How do I know all this? I was the project engineer.

Nice one madmick! It's about time that 'facts' were published as opposed to the 'maybe's/perhaps's etc put about by people who are often honest and believe the misinformation they're being fed.
I always follow the money/power trail. Who benefits from us not fracking? Putin and the sheiks, say no more.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Who can you believe...Previous Governments encouraged us to buy DIESEL vehicles but now they tell us they pollute more than petrol..Electric cars sound good but is the power station that produces electricity GREEN as they say. Dont believe any of them because the world is still flat, must be or we would fall off..BUSBY:LOL:

This could be because technology has improved and we know much better now. Why do you assume that the governments made the wrong decision ealier when they did not have the information we have today.

I'm afraid that if you have never made a bad decision then I suspect you have never made any decision up to now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back