Stonking Three broadband deal - be quick!!!! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you want a stonking '3' monthly broadband contract sign up for the one which is on offer at the moment giving 20gb of data for the cost of 5gb, so you get:
  • 20gb data
  • 12 month contract
  • £13 a month ... yes that's right £13!!!!
  • It can be used abroad as part of the 'feel at home' arrangement
  • free 4G if available, otherwise 3G (assuming your equipment will receive 4G)
This is the link to the sim offer and although it refers to a phone ignore that as it's definitely a broadband one:

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=205821200

We've just done a contract for it and the chap on the phone (in Scotland) has confirmed that it is a 'flash deal' moment and is due to finish shortly so grab it while you can!

If you need a mifi have a look at this thread that I've just started too!!!

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/cheap-4g-mifi-at-currys.141013/

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
It can certainly be used abroad @Minxy Girl but the data cannot be used with your phone tethered to another device whilst your are abroad. Nevertheless a good deal if it suits.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Looks great. And in light of this I will be ringing them in the morning to haggle a better package for me. (y)

Cheers Mel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
How's that then? Why no tethering?
No idea why but it's a fact. You can tether in the UK but not abroad. Three and I are getting close to court as I was misled by them on a similar deal.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It can certainly be used abroad @Minxy Girl but the data cannot be used with your phone tethered to another device whilst your are abroad. Nevertheless a good deal if it suits.
What I've mentioned is a mobile broadband sim, NOT a phone sim - it's just the muppets who do the website who 'forget' to alter some of the wording who get it wrong .. to re-iterate it is a MOBILE BROADBAND SIM! :)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Looks great. And in light of this I will be ringing them in the morning to haggle a better package for me. (y)

Cheers Mel.
Good luck ... if you go for the 15gb sim, same terms as this one, it's £18 a month! o_O

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
As said its a data sim and works in a mifi unit so can be shared by those you give the password to! No need to tether.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Will they suppress it after 2 mths abroad ..?
AFAIK that's the case with all of the mobile broadband sims, 2 months use abroad within a 12 months rolling period (if you had a 24 month contract for example) without using it in the UK would mean it is breaking the terms of their foreign use so they'll probably stop the sim working until you get back to the UK and use it again there, however I understand that this has to be 'full months' in order to count so you could do just under 2 months then only 1 month would count, use it in the UK and still have another month abroad .. now whether if you only used it for just under a month each time and used it again in the UK in between it would mean you would still have 2 months usage available I don't know!

Dec 16, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
I was in a great sea view campsite in Kingsdown near Deal in Kent the other day and hadn't turned off Roaming and noticed my phone, iPad and Mifi (all with three sims) kept jumping on to French networks (even though there was a big mobile phone mast overlooking the site!). Does this mean they will be flagged as having been used for 1 month abroad?If so will have to be careful if I go there again to avoid losing a whole years worth of access.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
What I've mentioned is a mobile broadband sim, NOT a phone sim - it's just the muppets who do the website who 'forget' to alter some of the wording who get it wrong .. to re-iterate it is a MOBILE BROADBAND SIM! :)
That's different, thanks.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
AFAIK that's the case with all of the mobile broadband sims, 2 months use abroad within a 12 months rolling period (if you had a 24 month contract for example) without using it in the UK would mean it is breaking the terms of their foreign use so they'll probably stop the sim working until you get back to the UK and use it again there, however I understand that this has to be 'full months' in order to count so you could do just under 2 months then only 1 month would count, use it in the UK and still have another month abroad .. now whether if you only used it for just under a month each time and used it again in the UK in between it would mean you would still have 2 months usage available I don't know!
I have 3 on a 12 month contract. Phone Sim only. Using the sim in spain for just 7 days this month then going to a spanish sim. Will that be classed as a month or just 7 days out of 60 days. I've tried to find out on 3 website but it doesn't say. Just says 2 months out of a year.?
Any knowledge on this please?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I have 3 on a 12 month contract. Phone Sim only. Using the sim in spain for just 7 days this month then going to a spanish sim. Will that be classed as a month or just 7 days out of 60 days. I've tried to find out on 3 website but it doesn't say. Just says 2 months out of a year.?
Any knowledge on this please?
It actually says 2 complete months out of a year:

upload_2016-10-29_8-33-55.png

So, as far as I know, it would have to be a complete month abroad to count against your 2 month allowance but it's not quite that simple - it is based on the length of 'time' abroad, not actual day's when you turn it on.

For example, if you used your '3' sim for 7 days in Spain, then a Spanish sim for say 28 days, then used your '3' sim abroad for another 7 days it would make 34 days in total and even though you'd only actually used the '3' sim for 14 days, '3' would count the whole 34 days as your 'time' abroad so that would mean you'd used one month's 'time' allowance. If, however, you came back to the UK in the period between each of the 7 days' of '3' use, and used the sim here would reset the 'time counter' to zero.

I know others have used their '3' sim abroad and got close to their 2 month usage but not quite the full amount in one holiday, come back to the UK and used the sim, then gone abroad again, and found that indeed only 1 month had been counted, not 2.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
It would be nice if we could have roaming in the UK on UK contracts. That way we may get some decent coverage.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Think he means latching onto strongest signal ie roaming between all the UK networks
like visitors do when they are over here

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I've read briefly that Apple are now offering a 4g Data package that can operate on World coverage dependent on which plan you choose!
Dependent on cost it could be the ideal product for those going between different Countries.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
STOP PRESS

I've found out about something else that's only available in store: a Huawei B310 router and a '3' 12 month contract for 40gb costing £20 a month - as the router is 12v I'm going this morning to check it out and also see if the 40gb sim contract is included in 'feel at home' - if so it would be an even better deal for us, and maybe others too.

I will report back later.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
@Minxy Girl Hi Mel, If you get the chance can you confirm whether or not the unit can be used tethered to other devices when abroad in "feel at home" countries.
Cheers DD (Roger)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
@Minxy Girl Hi Mel, If you get the chance can you confirm whether or not the unit can be used tethered to other devices when abroad in "feel at home" countries.
Cheers DD (Roger)
I am not sure how you can tether a data only sim in a mifi unit or standalone router. The mifi / router will allow multiple devices to connect to it so no tethering is needed, i think the only way you can do what you are asking is to take the sim out of the mifi/router and put it in a phone which you would not want to do anyway and would not work.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
STOP PRESS

I've found out about something else that's only available in store: a Huawei B310 router and a '3' 12 month contract for 40gb costing £20 a month - as the router is 12v I'm going this morning to check it out and also see if the 40gb sim contract is included in 'feel at home' - if so it would be an even better deal for us, and maybe others too.

I will report back later.
This sounds pretty decent, i just called them up and they said they can take the order over the phone, it is as @Minxy Girl says £20 a month on a 12 month contract with a 40GB a month data allowance. Very tempting as then i could just leave this device in the motorhome for when i need it although i would need to leave it switched on as otherwise they may deactivate the sim if not used for a few months.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I've been using my '3' broadband Sim here, since November last year. And it's definitely abroad here ;)

I'm on a monthly rolling contract.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
UPDATE on the '3' home router deal:

I've been told that it is ONLY available in the HU postcode area (Hull) and not in other parts of the country yet - this is due to the unique situation we have here as we only have a single landline broadband/phone provider, namely Kingston Communications (KC), and not BT as the rest of the country has, so we can't take advantage of any of the land-line based deals for phones, broadband etc that the rest of the country can such as TalkTalk, Virgin - it's KC or nothing for us.

As '3' have already invested a lot of money into infrastructure in this area due to the high demand compared to the rest of the country (ie those 'escaping' the grip of KC!) it is able to offer this without compromising the usability of it's network, however once it is 'proved' here (which I'm sure it will be) it will be gradually rolled out over the rest of the country, so you should be able to get it in the future but just not yet.

When you able to get it though you will be able to connect up to 32, yes 32 devices!!!! the sim will have a capped 12gb of data use abroad per month, with the usual 2 months of COMPLETE usage limit but see other postings regarding that.

So, sorry but for once we in Hull are ahead of the pack!!! It makes a refreshing change! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
This sounds pretty decent, i just called them up and they said they can take the order over the phone, it is as @Minxy Girl says £20 a month on a 12 month contract with a 40GB a month data allowance. Very tempting as then i could just leave this device in the motorhome for when i need it although i would need to leave it switched on as otherwise they may deactivate the sim if not used for a few months.
As per my post above you need to make SURE they will let you have it as I've been told it's just for the HU (Hull) postcode area at present and not available anywhere else.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
'Umberside allus was way behind ;)
B@llocks ... East Yorkshire you biking lunatic! :D

... not that I'm agree we are behind of course! :confused:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back