Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
I am reading on a Daily basis now that 1 or 2 Motorhome's a Day are being stolen in the UK, posts on Motorhome threads and Facebook lots of shares etc? Where do they all go must be somewhere, if they are being shipped abroad how come they don't get stopped at ports? Very rare i read of one that is found? Perhaps its time owners petitioned Dealers and Manufacturers to make them more difficult to steal? before people stop buying them? And Insurance will rocket?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The criminals have it sussed, pre-book a crossing on the ferry with a genuine number plate. Steal your choice of van, switch plates after leaving it locked up and watched to ensure that it has no tracker. Then simply drive to the port safe in the knowledge that even the most switched on policeman will not even notice as the plates are genuine. When it reaches it's new home and gets it's identity changed, often in Ireland it then gets sold and maybe even returned to the uk

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
There is only one market for RHD vehicles....

Motorhomes are basically low mileage pick up trucks - horrible as it sounds to motorhome owners these vehicles are a valuable source of spares or a base vehicle

To a criminal it must seem an attractive proposition - a few hours 'work' for thousands in untraceable 'booty'....without a care for the original value of the MH

Just my thoughts....

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Mr TheBig1 seems to know a great deal about the methods used by these criminals...

Hmmmmmmmm... :whistle:

:rofl:

JJ :cool:
I thought that,far too knowledgable! I’ve spoken to Hercule Poirot and he says that makes him a prime suspect. But don’t tell anyone just yet,he may give us more clues......(y);)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a friend of mine is a master locksmith and the processes used and frequent destinations are well known in the trade.. The guarda in southern ireland have supposedly been told to turn a blind eye to the flow of vehicles into particular rural areas. But there is no proof, only undercover investigations that have followed stolen vehicles to the same places. It's either to hide where the money flowing in comes from or the paramilitary organised criminal gangs they are scared of

at least knowing their tactics has helped recover several vans

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I am reading on a Daily basis now that 1 or 2 Motorhome's a Day are being stolen in the UK, posts on Motorhome threads and Facebook lots of shares etc? Where do they all go must be somewhere, if they are being shipped abroad how come they don't get stopped at ports? Very rare i read of one that is found? Perhaps its time owners petitioned Dealers and Manufacturers to make them more difficult to steal? before people stop buying them? And Insurance will rocket?

Motorhomes are basically low mileage pick up trucks - horrible as it sounds to motorhome owners these vehicles are a valuable source of spares or a base vehicle

To a criminal it must seem an attractive proposition - a few hours 'work' for thousands in untraceable 'booty'....without a care for the original value of the MH

Just my thoughts....
The Ford transit ones I'm convinced are stolen for the chassis cab or low mileage engine. I've seen a few posts on Facebook where they have found motorhome bodies up on bricks in yards and the chassis cab gone.

I don't think many would be shipped abroad unless they are being converted to lhd as few countries would take them.

There's also the itinerants who seem to be moving from caravans in to motorhomes

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
The Ford transit ones I'm convinced are stolen for the chassis cab or low mileage engine. I've seen a few posts on Facebook where they have found motorhome bodies up on bricks in yards and the chassis cab gone.

I don't think many would be shipped abroad unless they are being converted to lhd as few countries would take them.

There's also the itinerants who seem to be moving from caravans in to motorhomes

There is a country that still drives on the right - Ireland...

I watched a 'Police Interceptors' show - the Transit van's VIN no. didn't match the reg no...

.....'No action taken"

Last edited:
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

Just my thoughts....

So, would this mean that A-class Motorhomes are less likely to get stolen...?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
So, would this mean that A-class Motorhomes are less likely to get stolen...?

Makes sense........(y)

Unless the vehicle is stolen for 'export'.....;)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
3.14 lock operators are definitely switching to MoHos!! (I had an "altercation" with some in France last year) they had RHD British MoHos with GB stickers but were all Irish!!

Sez it all really!! :cautious:

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
They would have GB stickers if from Northern Ireland.

I can assure you they were from the South!, my wife is Northern Irish and I have worked in both the North and the South so I can very easily tell the difference in accents! :)

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Some stolen vans are ringed as was the one we bought.Buy a scrap van with log book then steal one the same make and swop the number plates over.We bought one from a Car dealer and the hpi check came up with a different mileage but not stolen,accident damaged etc.We got a reduction for the "extra"mileage and wouldn't have been any wiser about it being a stolen van if I hadn't noticed about 12 months later that there was a manufacturing date on a wiring harness that was 12 months later than its registration!.I investigated further only to discover the VIN nos had been changed.Called the police who confirmed our worst fears.It was a stolen vehicle!Police were a waste of time.Cut a long story short.Insurance company let us buy it and I sued the Dealer.Got awarded £12k but never got any of it despite sending the bailiffs round,then getting a charge on his house.He went bust and the house was repossessed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back