Stixall or Sikaflex?? (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2019
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner t700
Exp
Early 2019
Installing solar panel on my Motorhome, don't want to get the drill out for fixing so which one is best or is there no difference?
Most companies are saying Sikaflex but some other forums have mentioned Stixall.

Cheers

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
I've fitted panels to 3 of my vans in the past...always used aluminium angle for the brackets, and always drilled extra holes in the Alu brackets to allow the adhesive sealant (usually stixall) to 'bleed' through these holes to give a bit more fixing.

regards
Allen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
I enquired from SIKA about fitting solar panels and skylights.
See their comments in red.
Screenshot_20211003-092257_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 0

Paul Cartlidge

Free Member
Dec 26, 2017
Funster No
This is an alternative that I've used with success. It requires a bit of prep in that alloy pads are mechanically attached to the plastic feet, these pads are then bonded metal to metal to the roof cladding. In our case the roof is an alloy sheet which was abraded as detailed by West.

This adhesive does not have the brittleness of conventional epoxies but UV degradation should be considered I believe. The wet sanding with the adhesive is not a messy as it sounds!

Upvote 0

Ken Hall

Free Member
Aug 15, 2020
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2016 Carado T135
Exp
40 years
I first started using Sika adhesives about 20 years ago, have fitted over 100 panels since and never lost one.
I've also had the task of removing panel brackets to fit new panels when the efficiency of the first panel gets too low. Once you have removed a panel bracket either aluminium or ABS you will come to appreciate, trust and respect the ability of these adhesives to do the job they are created to do.

As for spacing, to allow the correct thickness of adhesive, Sika markets a double sided tape "Sikatape", similar to glazing tape but the adhesive is much more aggressive, meaning you don't get a second chance when placing the brackets. Only problem is that it comes in long rolls enough to fit about ten panels, but on the up side it has a good shelf life, (eight years and counting) much better that either the activator or the adhesive.

It is also advisable to fit the spoiler bracket, the full length of the leading and trailing edges of the panel and I fit a 3mm aluminium skirt, laterally to block off airflow access to the underside of the sides of the panel. This reduces wind pressure to virtually zero, making the fixing even more secure. It also reduces the buildup of grime under the panel, which normally requires the removal of the panel annually to clean the van roof, otherwise filthy grimy water makes a mess of the cleaned roof.

I've been a motorhomer for over 40 years, worked on many, fitting after sales accessories, subscribed to a number of forums and write for Warner's Publications. In that time I've never heard of a panel coming loose. I'm not saying none have, but I would have thought it would be a very hot topic, on these forums, if it was a regular occurrence.

It's also worth noting that every dealership I've worked with uses and recommends adhesive only. Prep well, use the correct adhesive for the job and you will be OK.

However I do empathise with those who would prefer to use mechanical means as well to fit their panels (belt and braces never hurts)

I just need new batteries after five years of heavy use and toying with the idea of Lithium

Ken

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I have a little experience of using Sika to secure Solar panels - I have fitted two, so do not claim to be an expert in any way.

I am aware that there are numerous products that are probably suitable for fitting solar panels, but this is my experience:

I fitted the first one two years ago, using Sika 512, following the recommendations for abrading, cleaning, applying Activator 205, and ensuring at least 3mm of adhesive.

Before fitting the second one, I contacted Sika Technical Dept.

After questioning whether my MH roof was "plastic", saying he had only come across metal ones, (!) he recommended Sika 552, which I had not come across.

His reasoning was that it had a better Tensile Strength - 3 N/mm² compared with 1.8 N/mm² for 512, but also that the surfaces to be bonded did not need to be as stringently cleaned/primed.

Also - Sikaflex®-552 is suitable for structural joints that will be subjected to dynamic stresses.

However, he confused me even more by finishing the conversation saying that despite what he had said, if I had used Sika 512 before, and the panel was still on, then if was probably fine to use it again!!!!

I compiled the attached comparisons of Sikas 512, 552 and 291i to assist in my decisision.

I was swayed by the fact that Sika 552 is the only one described as an Assembly Adhesive, rather than a Sealant/Adhesive, and that it has increased Tensile Strength.

My panels have now been fitted for 5 and 3 years respectively, and I check them regularly to see if there is any sign of weakness in the bonds.

I have also attached the Data Sheets for each product.

I hope this helps!

Attachments

• PDS for 291i Adhesive.pdf
    537.5 KB · Views: 21
  • PDS for 512 Adhesive.pdf
    59.5 KB · Views: 9
  • PDS for 552 Adhesive.pdf
    63.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Sikaflex Comparisons.pdf
    83.8 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 0

drago35uk

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Been using this for years available from Screwfix and a fraction of the cost of sika.
Compare the data sheets.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I may as well add my twopenny worth 😉
I have been using Puraflex 40 for years to stick anything to anything 👍without problem.
If you need something with instant grip then Siroflex (not Sikaflex) mighty grip and grab 👍 don't expect to move it once you press it on 😁Both less than half price (around £5 a tube) of Sikaflex and equally as good if not better 👍

Upvote 0
Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
I have said this before regarding the same question.
Correct preparation of all surfaces is critical, most if not all of these "Urethanes" (glue/bond) require a cleaner and or a primer.
Vehicle glass (windscreens and fixed windows are fitted using "Urethane") is fitted with Urethane and if all correct procedures are followed the bond cannot be broken during normal vehicle use.
So you can use it without fixings but the correct cleaners and primers must be used.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
Fobbing, UK
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato apache
Exp
Since 2019
My advice would be to ask those who do this for a living, there are so many variants of do’s and don’t that confuse the hell out of everyone

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I personally have used puraflex 40 to mount Aluminium brackets to roof then machine screws into rivnuts. If using stainless steel in al use a media to electricaly isolate possible galvanic action. Dont forget to clean roof and preparation as advised on data sheet.
Following thread is a round up of options used by Fum members.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
My advice would be to ask those who do this for a living, there are so many variants of do’s and don’t that confuse the hell out of everyone
You have obviously never been in a MH manufacturers 🙂😳
Most people who work there don't give much of a toss on how it's put together 😁

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back