Stixall or Sikaflex?? (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2019
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner t700
Exp
Early 2019
Installing solar panel on my Motorhome, don't want to get the drill out for fixing so which one is best or is there no difference?
Most companies are saying Sikaflex but some other forums have mentioned Stixall.

Cheers

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Screwed and stuck ours on with 512 but I've used stixall since and it's also good, it's probably the same stuff anyway. The important thing is preparation if you're not using screws, and I'd use full width aluminium angle rather than the plastic corner brackets.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Thanks, its Sikaflex 221 that seems popular, is 512 the same?

When I contacted SIKA in 2018 asking for advice about fitting Solar Panels, I was advised to use SIKA 552. This has a greater Tensile Strength than 512, (3N/mm^2 versus 1.8N/mm^2) /and has less stringent surface preparation requirements.

I used Aluminium Angle Brackets.

I used it, and so far the panel is still attached!!

Upvote 0
Apr 18, 2021
Lincolnshire Wolds AONB, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
Installing solar panel on my Motorhome, don't want to get the drill out for fixing so which one is best or is there no difference?
Most companies are saying Sikaflex but some other forums have mentioned Stixall.

Cheers
Both are actually made by Sika

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Stixall and sika 221 are not structural adhesives and neither should be used to fit solar, unless adding a mechanical fixing as well.
At the least, it needs to be a structural adhesive like sika 512

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TONCAZ
Dec 30, 2019
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner t700
Exp
Early 2019
Screwed and stuck ours on with 512 but I've used stixall since and it's also good, it's probably the same stuff anyway. The important thing is preparation if you're not using screws, and I'd use full width aluminium angle rather than the plastic corner brackets.
Good idea thanks..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TONCAZ
Dec 30, 2019
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner t700
Exp
Early 2019
Stixall and sika 221 are not structural adhesives and neither should be used to fit solar, unless adding a mechanical fixing as well.
At the least, it needs to be a structural adhesive like sika 512
Cheers, mind made up Sika 512 it is..

Upvote 0
Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
Fitting a panel to a van only using adhesive/glue call it what you like, made by whoever you like is wrong and reckless.
Sika technical dept will not condone fitting this way without mechanical fixings.
I could not do this and sleep at night. Just imagine the devastation a flying panel letting go would create going through a family car windscreen.
I know panels have been fitted with glue only for years and have stayed fixed but a lot have detached. John.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TONCAZ
Dec 30, 2019
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner t700
Exp
Early 2019
Fitting a panel to a van only using adhesive/glue call it what you like, made by whoever you like is wrong and reckless.
Sika technical dept will not condone fitting this way without mechanical fixings.
I could not do this and sleep at night. Just imagine the devastation a flying panel letting go would create going through a family car windscreen.
I know panels have been fitted with glue only for years and have stayed fixed but a lot have detached. John.
Good point, thanks

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Not a believer in modern adhesives then.

I wo3agree that the surfaces need to be suitable and structurally sound but there is little wrong with the correct adhesive if correctly applied.
But each to our own, and whatever helps us sleep at night.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I use Stika 291i marine adhesive/sealant over twice the holding power of 512 and if you want something even stronger Stika 292i marine adhesive I used that for my sat dish.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Puraflex 40. Recommended by others and works.... 3 years on my old MH and will use again on new one (big proper corner brackets and roof surface roughed up in prep).

Upvote 0
Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
I have spoken to Sika technical twice about sticking window blanking panels and solar panels.
I rung to ask what adhesive they would recommend from their range as I didn't want to drill through the roof.They told me they didn't have a product to offer me without mechanical fixing. I suggest to all the doubters to give Sika a call.
I know how strong Sika can be on its own, I had the job of taking the heavy side windows out an old ambulance to fit blanks.
I think I could have lifted the whole van just by the windows alone but still would use mechanical fixings as well as Sika for roof mounted panels. John.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I , like many researched and used Sika 252i. Applied to 8 brackets with the feet of the brackets and the roof abraded.
I also made sure it was a dry warm day.(15 to 25C )
This is a structural adhesive.
From memory it's something like 450psi tensile (for the US version) and I have a total foot area of about 70 in2 so that's a force of 31500lbs or 14 Imperial tons to pull it straight off.
Of course the forces acting on it are complex but it gives an idea of its security.

Upvote 1
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I have spoken to Sika technical twice about sticking window blanking panels and solar panels.
I rung to ask what adhesive they would recommend from their range as I didn't want to drill through the roof.They told me they didn't have a product to offer me without mechanical fixing. I suggest to all the doubters to give Sika a call.
I know how strong Sika can be on its own, I had the job of taking the heavy side windows out an old ambulance to fit blanks.
I think I could have lifted the whole van just by the windows alone but still would use mechanical fixings as well as Sika for roof mounted panels. John.

I agree.

I had my last panels Sika'd to the roof (252) and they were fine for a couple of years. Before I replaced them I read this, from Sika:

Sika-221-Warning-edited.jpg

I used 151 AND a mechanical fixing this time around.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
Fobbing, UK
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato apache
Exp
Since 2019
After a lot of web searching I used Sika 552 to stick my solar panel plastic brackets to my auto-trail roof, They immediately stuck and I couldn’t budge them a day later. I would recommend this adhesive to do the job, always make sure both surfaces are clean.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Most of the panels that have blown off roofs have been fitted using plastic brackets. The type of adhesive is very critical for plastics and you must use the correct grade of Stika.
I would never use plastic brackets I always use alloy and the marine grade Stika which has a much higher holding power.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
Nobody has yet mentioned Tec7...i have used it for years and in my opinion better than sika. ...brilliant stuff.....however i wouldn't use it alone for the bog standard plastic solar fittings without screws ... i would however highly recommend the larger alloy "aero" style fittings that go the whole width of the ends of the panel.... they give a much larger surface area that you can use just adhesive sealant alone....and have the advantages of obviously stopping airflow lifting the panel and also allows you to slide the panel out if needed by just releasing two screws...

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back