Stirling B2b Battery Charger On A Ih 630rl (1 Viewer)

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Exactly, but presumably you have done this yourself? Which to be fair wasn't what was being discussed.

In fact you prove the point that it wouldn't be hard for the Motorhome converters to do a much more efficient job than most do.
The way I read the original post it appeared that the original poster was considering fitting a B2B. I would say that anybody capable of fitting a B2B is also capable of either upgrading an existing split charge system by adding an HD relay and heavier cable or fitting a complete new one.

You know a lot more about what is actually in a modern camper van as all of mine have been self built. I didn't realise that they are still fitting such badly underrated split charge systems.

It's all a bit academic now as between us all the OP has been persuaded not to bother with the B2B. There are better ways of spending that money, such as solar, so we had the right end result.(y)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
A BtoB is only worth having if you have wet cell vented leisure batteries, which you probably don't. With sealed batteries you have to set the BtoB to a lower output voltage which makes it little better than a properly installed split charge system.

Strange as I have AGM batteries and when I email the B2B maker he said it would work fine when set correctly. I have had it fitted now since January and works a treat. So is it worth having if you have AGM batteries........ Of course............ As for a split charge system if fitted correctly 99% of MH do not have it fitted correctly and therefore the alternator shuts down to trickle charge. As a split change system will supply "may be" 10amps into batteries the B2B will supply whatever is needed ( I have run batteries down to 12.4 and got 34amps to recharge batteries at 14.4volts ) NO split charger system can do that. As Eddie has stated many MH owners do not use the on board batteries for long as they go to a camp site and plug into mains............. Buy a B2B system and you will never look back.

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Split charge to a 130Amp/hr battery this morning just to show what a proper split charge can do.
Engine stopped. IMG_2351.JPG

Engine running.IMG_2352.JPG

Maybe a BtoB does more but not enough to warrant it's extra cost IMO

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back