LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
I’m not sure bleach is a wise option based on previous posts.
Have used a dash of the same in the waste tank for the last 9 years and can advise nothing, other than it stops the stink.

Oh must add cheap tesco bleach isnt that strong and if you only put a glug say 50-100cc in each plug hole and add a healthy dose of water.

Happy to be advised if I'm in error.

Edit thinking about it, the stuff is only in the tank short term as we drain down for the winter 3 months if not travelling. In between time the tank is cycled regularly due to use.

Last edited:
Reactions: M-J

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The issue may not be sodium hypochlorite and the pipe itself but the seals and any contaminants that may cause a reaction with the sodium hypochlorite and then cause an issue. Looking at the MoHo hand book it suggests strong chemicals are not used !

Some thing gentle like this works (but doing drink it ! its not hat gentle)

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
I'm not sure if I'm missing the point, but if your sink traps etc etc are working and you have a working vent on the roof, it doesn't matter too much if it smells it shouldn't reach you.
We must all be imagining it then.............. :LOL:

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
If your waste tank has a top access hatch, I suggest that you squirt a hose pipe into the waste tank with the waste trap/drain tap outside open.
Squirt in all directions around the tank on a jet but try avoid where the tank sensor is when on full jet.
Turn the jet down to a gentle flow when directed near the sensor.
This will lift all of the debris that has stuck to the tank sides and floor.
You may be surprised what gathers in there.
Then close the outside waste trap/drain. Pour some cheap disinfectant down the sinks/shower drains - neat.
I usually buy the 59p stuff and pour a whole bottle down each drain.
Fill the waste tank with enough water to swish about and then go for a drive.
Drain the tank when done.
This works for us.
I only clean the tank with the hose once a year doing the above but after each holiday, I drain off the waste and do the disinfectant bit and drive home with the bit swishing around and then drain to empty when home.

I've tried the cola, the tank cleaner, toilet cassette cleaner etc. but found this way does stop any drain smells for us.
Not tried bleach as I'm unsure how it reacts with the sensor and the tank seals.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cherub

Free Member
Sep 24, 2020
Glen Prosen, Angus, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
Since 2009
think, what is smelling? it's the microbes in the waste water breaking down the fats and starches. Best idea is something to oxygenate the waste tank and pipes. Bio laundry liquid in hot water will really help. All the "tank cleaners" are is similar bio enzymes in the laundry liquid, but without the scent part.

I clean my fresh tank at least once a year with puriclean crystals, then run the water into the waste tank. Drive around for a bit and leave to work for a day or so. You will be amazed the crap that comes out after cleaning, even a supposedly clean tank.

On some vans that we have had, we suffered from pongy waste pipes. The smell seems to come from the bathroom sink, but nearly every time it was the shower waste trap had dried out. Some hot water with bio laundry liquid always sorted it quickly
Just mixed two Aldi bio laundry tabs in big jug of hot tap water. Poured some down shower plug hole, some in bathroom sink and lots in kitchen sink. Did another lot just in the kitchen sink and it drained immediately, faster than ever before. I used dishwasher tabs last year but laundry tabs way better.

Apr 15, 2022
Funster No
MH
DethleffGlobetrotter
Exp
Started in 2005, then took a 15 year break, back in 2022
3 x 2 Litre bottles of cheap Aldi cola and a 15 mile drive around the country lanes did a great job of cleaning the old cak out of the grey waste tank of a PVC we bought a few years back. (y)
What's worse is that some people drink that stuff, or worse still give it to their kids. Blimey

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
as much as we can we keep the tank empty it only smells when is full and we open a window whilst driving so just leave the plugs in

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
After 2 full years trying the only way I've found to stop the pong is to empty the tank every day (or two max) and don't travel with anything except a bit of cheap bleach in there sloshing around

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
When ever possible leave the tank Drane tap open don't allow it to stagnate
When not in us leave tap open and from time to time use washing Machen tabs
That what works for us.
Bill

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
We have never suffered ponging but then we never leave it more than a couple of days.

Mer neither! What are we doing different (I keep both wash-place plugs in and never leave the drain open)??? (mine has stayed in, sometimes, for a lot longer than a couple days) :unsure:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Mer neither! What are we doing different (I keep both wash-place plugs in and never leave the drain open)??? (mine has stayed in, sometimes, for a lot longer than a couple days) :unsure:
I suspect in our case it's because we don't cook a lot in the MH and wipe any grease off plates and pans before washing and both shower every day so any food waste is very diluted and not in the tank very long.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I suspect in our case it's because we don't cook a lot in the MH and wipe any grease off plates and pans before washing and both shower every day so any food waste is very diluted and not in the tank very long.

Perhaps that is the answer, I too clean plates BUT have never used van shower (I'm a BIG lad and find it restrictive) I use site ones.
I do however, do my washing-up in a bowl and when finished, pour the water directed at the plug hole from a distance of about nine inches.
Perhaps the force of water cleans the pipe each day as the kitchen sink is a long way from the holding tank? :unsure:

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
We keep the tank clean with hot water and dishwasher tabs, but have also just fitted one of these to each of the two shower wastes, which are most likely to pong a bit if we don't get around to doing the cleaning:

<Broken link removed>

Two goes at getting the right adapter for the waste hose but otherwise an easy job.

May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
We have always pre cleaned everything with kitchen towel, the more you can but in the bin and not in the tank the better. After every empty we put a drop of lemon bleach down both kitchen and all bathroom plug holes, basin and shower tray and in over 40 years of motorhoming we have never had an odour problem

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
As have we have only stayed on sites with cleaning facilities I do all the washing there and refrain from washing down the sink. Generally it's the water from managements daily clean that goes down there, so mainly soapy... ish. Regularly empty tank, quite often using bucket, save having to go to site MHome point. I also regularly use Elsan grey waste tank fresh which seems to do a good job only on occasions I forget that there might be a slight aroma. Prior to winter, drain tank and rinse through.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
My grey waste tank has suddenly developed a stink and needs a good clean, I’ve previously used elsan tank freshener but assume all that has done is masked the smell rather than cure the problem.

I was thinking of buying the fenwicks grey tank cleaner but having read about so many cheap alternatives I am here to ask which actually work.

cheap cola?

caustic soda?

bio washing liquid?

I would like a one time solution that I can do a couple of times a year rather than something I need to add regularly.

Thanks in advance.
Do not put bleach down there!!!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Motorhome drains need traps. Even those motorhomes with traps can sometimes have smells if the traps dry out, they tend to be shallow. We use our shower daily but if you use other facilities you might need to top them up by pouring a little water down them.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Read this thread all the way through as for the first time the water from my grey waste is stinky. I don't know why as I'm not sorry g anything differently. So using what is available I have poured down all the plugholes liquid detergent, if it works in the loo, surely it will work in the grey waste. Will find out once I have moved locations and it's sloshed about a bit :unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back