jennymaywright

Free Member
Aug 21, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We have a 2001 registered Peugeot Boxer as the base vehicle for our MH.
Suddenly last year couldn't get 5th or reverse gear but then all was well after having new cables fitted. However, just lately we're finding another problem with gear changing. When we first set off all is normal but after about 25 - 30 miles we start to having difficulty in getting up into 5th as well as back down into 2nd causing us to grate the gears. It happens when either of us is driving so can't be put down to technique! We mentioned this when the 'van was serviced last week and the mechanic greased something or maybe it was an oil change. Anyway, whatever he did hasn't improved matters. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what this might be caused by so we can be forearmed when approaching the garage again? Thanks.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i dont know a lot about it but it may need the fifth gear upgrade mod.

not sure of the symptoms leading up to the mod but it is an easy repair.

dont think that would affect reverse though :Doh:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sounds suspiciously like the gear box is low on oil ( and if it IS that aint good !! Not that it is low on oil but where the hell it has gone ! )

As the box gets warmer, so gear change gets harder.. classic lack of oil ( but this is total supposition and it could just be that the clutch needs adjusting, the cables need replacing or a dozen other things, all of which are cheap and easy to fix :thumb: )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Not very long ago I had a Boxer in for service and the customer complsined of difficulty engaging fifth gear, I removed the fifth gear housing expecting to find a problem with the cluster or engagement fork but found it full of very thick mayonaise instead. The scuttle drain pipe did not seal well to the scuttle and so whenever it rained water ran straight down the selector rod and into the gearbox. This water then gets mashed up with the oil and turns into a thick gloopy mess. I had a hell of a game cleaning the box up and it tokk nearly an hour to drain the mayo out to start with.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back