Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Anybody got a method of removing sticky discs, used to mount sat nav/dash cams etc., from the dash without, preferably, the use of industrial cutters. ( tis a Fiat Ducato.)
Cheers
Geoff

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Twist it off or use a cheese wire underneath it (carefully obviously)

Then rub the remaining sticky pad off with your thumb, after gently heating it with a hair dryer, again carefully

Simples!

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Don't know if the sticky stuff is the same as labels, etc but if it is then use Goo Gone. Brilliant stuff - takes sticky residue off with a quick wipe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Personally I would not use any kind of glue remover on a dash panel or top . As Eddie says Gentle heat and the stuff will roll off under a fingertip .

I've used it on all sorts of surfaces, matt and shiny, and never had a problem. It doesn't scour the surface at all and isn't harsh like an acetone based cleaner.

OP
OP
The Dotties

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Thank you all for quick replies, shall give it a go.
Geoff

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Piece of string - nylon is best as stronger but cotton should do the Stick Stuff Remover (y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Angle grinder works for me:cool: carefully though obviously and wipe the rest of the van off the disk with petrol and you can use it again(y)
That's a stupid answer! You've obviously not thought this threw have you. What happens if the OP hasn't got 230v of doesn't own a battery powered grinder? Tcsh, no the best way is a very sharp wood chisel and a big hammer, works every time. (y):LOL:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
A neighbour suggested a oxy-acetylene cutter. I've now got grease on the drivers seat from the pipes!!. Any suggestions on grease remover?
And before this gets really silly, disc has disappeared so thanks to the sensible ones among us.

images

That'll be mine then yes(y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
A neighbour suggested a oxy-acetylene cutter. I've now got grease on the drivers seat from the pipes!!. Any suggestions on grease remover?
And before this gets really silly, disc has disappeared so thanks to the sensible ones among us.
Jizer, works a treat on engines covered in oil, rub it well in with a cut down paintbrush then power wash off, itleberieyt. (y)

Reactions: GJH

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
serious note....use a length of dental floss to cut through the pad and just leave the sticky base. then warm the glue with a hair drier and pick/rub off as much as possible. any remaining residue should break down with isopropyl alcohol or surgical spirit

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
All your names have been noted and you will shortly be visited by a men'al helf assesore or by the elf 'n safety officer or by the league of misleading information detection team.
All except the sensible ones;)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Nail polish remover?

Please dont use that stuff ! It has the capability to strip the surface off the dash in half a second.

I would not use any chemical or solvent. IPA included. All it needs is gentle and I do mean gentle heat and roll the glue of with yer finger. Wrong chemicals or brutality will leave a mark that for me would annoy the hell out of me for the duration I own a vehicle.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Most sticky residues from labels and the like can be removed safely by rubbing with good old WD40

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
be very careful, nailpolish remover will melt the surface of some plastics leaving a mark
Please dont use that stuff ! It has the capability to strip the surface off the dash in half a second.

I would not use any chemical or solvent. IPA included. All it needs is gentle and I do mean gentle heat and roll the glue of with yer finger. Wrong chemicals or brutality will leave a mark that for me would annoy the hell out of me for the duration I own a vehicle.
Ooops sorry!

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
It's no good at getting this sparkly nail polish off though:blusher: can't shift the stuff!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
All your names have been noted and you will shortly be visited by a men'al helf assesore or by the elf 'n safety officer or by the league of misleading information detection team.
All except the sensible ones;)
Errrrrrrrrrrrrwotareyoutryintersayeh?

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Sticky residue from sellotape and pva glue comes off with gentle rubbing with little bit of windolene (pink stuff) on a cloth. Works really well, I never buy Goo Gone. Not sure of reaction on a dashboard though.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Jizer, works a treat on engines covered in oil, rub it well in with a cut down paintbrush then power wash off, itleberieyt. (y)
I had a really MINTY driver on the fleet and we had his tractor to clean out after he left, and I found he has a black vinyl seat in the cab??? the other one was light brown fabric. Then I cottoned on it was grease soaked and polished. I took it out and soaked it in degreaser then steam cleaned it thoroughly then let it dry. It was like new under that load of grease.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back