Sticking stuff on the roof of your van (1 Viewer)

peter

Free Member
Nov 23, 2007
Near Boston Linc's
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia 640
Exp
Since 2000
Hi, I just thought anybody planning on doing the above might be interested in a new type of double sided tape I've found. It's called Mammoth Tape and it is not cheap at £3.99 for a 2.5 Mtr roll. But boy does this stuff stick, you have to be careful with placement, as it sticks instantly on contact, and is very hard to remove. I've just used it to stick two 100 watt semi flexible solar panels on my van and the mounting plate for my Snipe satellite dish. Dead easy and very clean professional looking job it looks too, and it's ready to use immediately, so saving a great deal of time and mess. As a belt and braces measure I did run a small bead of Silicone around the edges to stop any water creep under the units. Which would be nigh on impossible anyway as the adhesive is like a gel type mastic material and is very sticky and flexible, being about one millimetre thick.
Give a try, I think you will be well pleased, as you can use it to stick anything to anything. By the way I bought it at my local B&M (BM?) store.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hey-up Peter ... I didn't realise you were a funster too! :)

I've just realised you've 'moved' from Boston ... trying to get away from me in my static no doubt! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi Peter, I didn't realise you had come over.:hi:

Sounds good for that type of panel. Not so sure on the sat dish I'd rather use proven adhesives, will you let us know when it falls off.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As I posted on a 'solar panel' thread the other day, some flexi panels now come with the adhesive tape already on so you can just stick them down, but I wasn't so sure about it ... if you need to remove them I bet its a s*d of a job. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
peter

peter

Free Member
Nov 23, 2007
Near Boston Linc's
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia 640
Exp
Since 2000
Hey-up Peter ... I didn't realise you were a funster too! :)
I joined as a lurker years ago. But just decided to cough up the 15 quid, as I kept getting banned from the MMM forum for being intolerant to a couple of the pompous fools on there. It's boring as hell now so who cares, not me.

OP
OP
peter

peter

Free Member
Nov 23, 2007
Near Boston Linc's
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia 640
Exp
Since 2000
As I posted on a 'solar panel' thread the other day, some flexi panels now come with the adhesive tape already on so you can just stick them down, but I wasn't so sure about it ... if you need to remove them I bet its a s*d of a job. :rolleyes:
I can't think why you'd want to remove them as they are cheap as chips now. But if you needed to if they were faulty you would use piano wire or guitar string to shear the adhesive, as it's thick enough to get the wire under there.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I joined as a lurker years ago. But just decided to cough up the 15 quid, as I kept getting banned from the MMM forum for being intolerant to a couple of the pompous fools on there. It's boring as hell now so who cares, not me.
:D Nothing changes then! I got fed up of it ages ago when I had some nasty stalkers who were a right pain in the bum; the forum's a shadow of it's former self now and on the very rare occasion that I pop in (usually just to see if anyone's sent me a private message) and have a look at the odd thread, I see that it's still the usual suspects having a snipe at each other ... sooooooo boring! Quite a few have seen the light and come over to the fun forum and so far none of the really nasty ones ... at least I don't think they have! :rolleyes:

You'd better behave yourself on here though otherwise you'll be in trouble!;)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the tensile strength of 70nm per 25mm is pretty good but I am worried about the stable temperature range. still think i will stick with urethane based adhesives like sikaflex as its not affected by heat. thankyou for posting about mamoth tape though and please keep us informed how well it continues to perform in use. technology is always moving forward

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Looks good stuff, please update us as to how it works out under pressure.

Stopped at mmm due to bickering.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Now I wonder who they are.:D:D:D
Same reason I'm not very active on there anymore.

OP
OP
peter

peter

Free Member
Nov 23, 2007
Near Boston Linc's
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia 640
Exp
Since 2000
Double sided tape still holding up well. Both on Sat' dish and flexi panels. Did 2000 miles in France a couple of weeks ago and I don't hang about on the road. Had a load of rain as well, which tested the bonds well.
I'd have no hesitation in using it again. Goodbye to all the faffing about and mess of using Sikaflex etc.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks for letting us know how you've got on with your sticky stuff Peter! I'll have to go and get some as I'm sure it'll come in handy for a some jobs I've got planned. :)

PS: I assume you heard about Eddie (Judgemental) ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks for letting us know how you've got on with your sticky stuff Peter! I'll have to go and get some as I'm sure it'll come in handy for a some jobs I've got planned. :)

PS: I assume you heard about Eddie (Judgemental) ?

OP
OP
peter

peter

Free Member
Nov 23, 2007
Near Boston Linc's
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia 640
Exp
Since 2000
:DSorry about the delay in responding Minxy, but I haven't been on here for ages. As I have been really busy doing up our new house in Swineshead.
Only a bit of painting of the interior woodwork left to do. Which can do as I feel like it.
Yes I did hear about Eddie, such a shame, as he seemed like a really nice bloke.
By the way the Mammoth tape is still holding up ok.
Hope to post a bit more now the house is done.:D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi Peter ... I'd forgotten all about this thread! :D

You really didn't have to move to Swineshead just to get away from me at my static caravans near Tattershall ... I sold them anyway! :D

OP
OP
peter

peter

Free Member
Nov 23, 2007
Near Boston Linc's
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia 640
Exp
Since 2000
Why did you sell it.. I thought you were getting well into it.
I suppose you made a pile of dosh out of it as well. :ROFLMAO:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Why did you sell it.. I thought you were getting well into it.
I suppose you made a pile of dosh out of it as well. :ROFLMAO:
Unfortunately one of our dogs just wouldn't settle, some info about it on this thread:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...apel-hill-nr-tattershall-lincolnshire.127466/

BUT ... we've now bought a couple of Lodges to rent out instead!

Broken Link Removed

Oh, yes, we DID make some nice dosh on the 2 statics, enough to buy a couple of used Smart ForTwo cars ... so not complaining although that hadn't been the plan but at least we didn't lose out .... :D

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990

Crikey, banned from MMM (OAL) forum - you must have been a bad boy !!! You're more likely to be banned from MHF (if I'm allowed to mention them) :sick:

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Maybee wees cld pal up Borr,,, eyes bin chucked orff the mor "liberal" (allegedly) forums orn thisun ear site jus cos I defendud masen agin a "Pyromaniac" attack,?!!!
Thisun kinda thang don appen Dunear in Narfuk Borr,?!
;):LOL::LOL::LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back