Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
How do you stretch a rubber/plastic pipe with metal strengthening wire going through it? We got the first piece through the dealers and the second piece from an aquatic dealer. Both the same size.dealer said that's where they get theirs from. Our fresh water pioe has split and on buying a new 1 metre lengh of pipe we we find it wont fit onto the *inlet of the fresh water tank nor the filler siuated in the wall of the motorhome. The pioe measures an eighth of an inch smaller than the old one and try as he might even heating the end up in boiling water it still wont fit over the inlet. This is the second piece of pipe we have tried with the same result. They just dont make the pipe any bigger

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I suggest you try placing the end you want to fit over a tube (etc) into nearly boiling water which will soften it and enable you to stretch it over the fitting.

JJ :Cool:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If it's like hydraulic pipe you can cut around it with a hacksaw and remove the wire but obviously you remove the strength as well, no other way that I know of

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Right I have read it again and suppose you mean the type with the coil of wire going round and around, well you can get bigger stuff , try a large tool place , they have it for air pipes, for blowing dust and stuff away from saws and things, and it works , I have it in mine , no trouble.:thumb:

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
It's the black bendy pipe that is the concertina type with wire going round and round the inside and is within the rubber.
we have tried heating it up but to no avail.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
having softened the pipe in hot water, insert a tapered podger and work it down the pipe to spread the spring, then gently tap around the spring against the podger to hopefully bend the spring but not split the plastic.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
having softened the pipe in hot water, insert a tapered podger and work it down the pipe to spread the spring, then gently tap around the spring against the podger to hopefully bend the spring but not split the plastic.

he he...whats a podger?

will try that when I know.:roflmto:

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
You could try:
1. Heat up the end of the pipe in boiling water to make it more pliable
2. Carefully push a cone cutter, or some with a taper, up the end of the pipe to enlarge it's internal diameter.
3. Quickly push the pipe onto the tank / filter
4. Tighten the connection with a jubilee clip
5. Repeat for other end of pipe

:thumb:

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
A smear test instrument would be good. if only I had one hee hee
I thought it was a west country implement seeing as you are crom the west country rog :roflmto::roflmto:

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
You could try:
1. Heat up the end of the pipe in boiling water to make it more pliable
2. Carefully push a cone cutter, or some with a taper, up the end of the pipe to enlarge it's internal diameter.
3. Quickly push the pipe onto the tank / filter
4. Tighten the connection with a jubilee clip
5. Repeat for other end of pipe

:thumb:

Have tried the boiling water till the rubber was soft but the wire inside it wouldnt stretch enough to put it over the inlet.
we will have to find something to put inside the pipe to stretch the wire inside.

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
he he...whats a podger?

will try that when I know.:roflmto:

You should have been watching Guy Martin mending Llandudno pier last night. He didnt know what it was either til he had to use it!!!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I had the same problem many years ago on my self build. I eventually decided bodging could be a problem as the rate of flow could cause a disaster if I didn't realise when the bodge failed.

I ended up buying the correct pipe.

£4.60 per meter.

Broken Link Removed

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i no longer have access to my engineering tools, but a commercial garage should have a large flanging tool. heat the end of the pipe, put in the tool and wind the nut to stretch it. then quickly remove the tool and fit the pipe to the fitting. only issue being the extra stress a smaller pipe will exert on the fitting as it compresses may cause a fracture

better to get hold of a larger inside diameter hose pipe

just had a thought, a suitably sized sleeve anchor bolt (rawlbolt) will do the same job as a flanging tool by expanding inside the end of the pipe:thumb: could be expensive to buy one that big though as you may only ever use it once or twice

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if its that much smaller it will severely restrict water flow.

For a 1/2" pipe that is a 25% reduction in diameter.

Cut your losses and buy the correct size.

Ignore the above, i didnt read the op properly.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
if its that much smaller it will severely restrict water flow.

For a 1/2" pipe that is a 25% reduction in diameter.

Cut your losses and buy the correct size.

Yes that's the best idea, take a piece of the old one with you so you know it is right, lots of different diameters in all sorts of measurements , I had the same problem with my filler pipe, presume that's what you want , if it is it's really no need to be reinforced, only used when you fill up and no pressure on it but as I said in a previous post I found one at a tool place, one Man band place but I would think someone like machinemart will have some

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Yes that's the best idea, take a piece of the old one with you so you know it is right, lots of different diameters in all sorts of measurements , I had the same problem with my filler pipe, presume that's what you want , if it is it's really no need to be reinforced, only used when you fill up and no pressure on it but as I said in a previous post I found one at a tool place, one Man band place but I would think someone like machinemart will have some

That's what annoys me, we took the old piece to two different places and twice they insisted it was the correct size and when we got it back to the van it didn't fit.
Will have to try the various suggestions on here.
Thanks everyone

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, I think your best chance is with an aquarium supplier- they usually have several sizes in stock to suit various water pumps. Generally cheaper than accessory shops.
Measure the spigots first or take sample of CORRECT pipe with you.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back