Sterling Battery To Battery - Poss Issue (1 Viewer)

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have a Sterling B2B charger connected to my main battery via an IF relay with a 30 second delay before it connects (once the engine is running). Now the Sterling powers up and assuming the input voltage is OK it should wait 2.5 mins (to allow the the starter battery some recovery time), before charging the leisure. It actually powers up and immediately starts to charge the leisure (I think it may have always done this). Also it is supposed to pause every 20 mins, but I have not noticed this either although I know this can be bypassed with a remote which I don't have.

I have spoken with Sterling who cannot give me any explanation except I should not worry about it, but I can send the unit back to them for testing although if faulty is out of warranty.

Just wondering if anyone else who has a Sterling B2B has noticed this or has any thoughts on this behaviour?

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Sounds OK to me.

Ours used to work that way. It is the A2B that waits 3 mins and then pauses every 20 mins. That's what our A2B does,:thumb:

OP
OP
pablomc

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Jon. Don't want to waste my time (and money) sending it back if it is a common theme.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I cant say I've noticed what mine is doing at all other than the fan noise. I inherited it fitted so until I notice a problem I'll not investigate. I believe it has been fitted for over 4 yrs and by Vnbitz

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I have a Sterling B2B charger connected to my main battery via an IF relay with a 30 second delay before it connects (once the engine is running). Now the Sterling powers up and assuming the input voltage is OK it should wait 2.5 mins (to allow the the starter battery some recovery time), before charging the leisure. It actually powers up and immediately starts to charge the leisure (I think it may have always done this). Also it is supposed to pause every 20 mins, but I have not noticed this either although I know this can be bypassed with a remote which I don't have.

I have spoken with Sterling who cannot give me any explanation except I should not worry about it, but I can send the unit back to them for testing although if faulty is out of warranty.

Just wondering if anyone else who has a Sterling B2B has noticed this or has any thoughts on this behaviour?

Hi, if it helps mine does exactly the same.
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
This may or may not be related to this thread but as I was leaving Longridge on sunday night I was about a miles or so away when a 'wire burning smell' came in the cab followed by the charging light coming on.:Sad:
I pulled over and stopped the engine. The lights and all were still working with no lose of power. But I turned everything off pulled the bonnet and got out to have a look. The smell was stronger with the bonnet open but nothing obvious could be seen. I had a think about possibilities and then I thought that b2b keeps running, I wonder? so I pulled the fuse that I had put in (60amp) and started the engine and the light for charging went out and the smell went. So I took a chance and continued on home (240miles)
all was well apart from an occasional pulsing of the head lights. The next day I had a look but again found nothing so started the engine up no problem, but a meter on the battery 14.2v so that's working then the smell came back so I let it run on looking and feeling the wires but could not find anything then I put my hand on the alternator and it was too hot to touch:thumb: so found the problem. Checking I find that the alternator is only 90amps so I am thinking this is not man enough for a 50amps b2b plus all the lights fuel pump heater etc etc. and it was overloading. So I have ordered a new one which is 120amp which will help and I might try to remember not to run the b2b with everything else on in future. I hope the info may be of use to others:thumb:
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
The sterling one I fitted a while back for a customer had two temperature sensors, one to be fitted on the pos battery terminal of the leisure battery another to fit to the alternator casing, the idea being to shut down the B2B if either overheats

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
The sterling one I fitted a while back for a customer had two temperature sensors, one to be fitted on the pos battery terminal of the leisure battery another to fit to the alternator casing, the idea being to shut down the B2B if either overheats

You are correct. But I only put the one on the battery as it was easy to get to. The one to the alternator body I left off:cry: so when I fit the new one I will make a point of fitting it. OTHERS PLEASE NOTE

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back