Sterling Battery to Battery and Solar Panel (1 Viewer)

Lizard42K

Free Member
Jul 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit
Hi All,

I am in the process of putting the electrics together for my conversion. I have a 200ah leisure battery currently connected to a 60a Sterling battery to battery. I want to add solar - 120w.

I'm reading articles/threads suggesting that having solar connected will disrupt the B2B charger and confuse it.

Question 1) Can I simply isolate the output from the solar regulator with a switch that I turn on when we arrive, so the B2B and panel are not operating together whilst we drive?

Question 2) Do I connect the output from the regular direct to the battery, with the output from the solar regulator?

Any help/experience in this area will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I have both connected to the leisure batteries and it seems to depend on the voltages. They seem happy and seem to sort it out themselves. I have a dual battery solar controller.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I have the same, the B2B and solar panel are connected independently in accordance with their own fitting instructions and have no inter-action. Also have a Battery Master to keep the engine battery topped up when in storage. Each is intelligent enough to know when the battery bank needs "assistance". Been like that for a good number of years with no apparent problems.

Don't look for problems with fancy "solutions". KISS principle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

Lizard42K

Free Member
Jul 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit
Thanks for the reply. I'm certainly a fan of the KISS approach!

So do you have the output from your sterling unit attached direct to your leisure battery, and the output from your solar regulator?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Yes, both connected direct to leisure battery. Make sure you have a fuse in the line between solar regulator and battery - apart from protection it also allows you to disconnect solar from the battery if you need it.

Bill690G

Free Member
Aug 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Mclouis Glen 690G
Exp
Sorry to bring back an old thread...

I have been trying to decide on how to set up my solar. I have 2 courses of action:

1. Solar with dual regulator topping up leisure and starter battery. (Ctek250?)

2. Solar topping up leisure battery, then a battery master to trickle feed starter from leisure as and when required.

The van will on occasion sit for upto 8 weeks, and I cant work out for the life of me which of these 2 set ups would be most effective.

Terry, I see you have a battery master and a B2B, do these not do a similar job? Or am I confused?

Bill

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

I have been trying to decide on how to set up my solar. I have 2 courses of action:

2. Solar topping up leisure battery, then a battery master to trickle feed starter from leisure as and when required.

The van will on occasion sit for upto 8 weeks, and I cant work out for the life of me which of these 2 set ups would be most effective.

Terry, I see you have a battery master and a B2B, do these not do a similar job? Or am I confused?

Bill
Both solutions will work. :) B2B and Battery master are completely different things. In a sense each does the opposite of what the other does. :) We have a Battery master and it gets on fine with the B2B. The former just delivers a trickle charge to the vehicle battery. The latter can deliver a whopping charge to the leisure batteries.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Bill
Yes you are confused :D2 battery master simply,-------- OK DBK beat me to it(y)

So I had the choice battery master or dual solar regulator charging the starter battery, the dual reg was already fitted but the wiring route would not be that easy, as our van has both starter and habitation +ve terminals next to each other I went the battery master route.

Martin

Reactions: DBK

Bill690G

Free Member
Aug 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Mclouis Glen 690G
Exp
Thanks for your replies guys, I'm going to go with the battery master option!

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
I lost 2 crank batteries due to having to leave the moho for extended periods, but now have battery master, 340w of solar and 330amps of leisure power, never had a problem, solar & battery master work well together.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back