Sterling 50A B2B - reinstalling - what size cable please to battery connections (1 Viewer)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
i am reinstalling a Sterling 50A B2B, which i bought from a member on here about a year ago. can anyone advise on the size of the cable i need to connect to the battery? i understand it may depend on the length, which is under 2m - if i fitted a cable larger than a 50A capacity, would that suffice? i was looking at a 100A rated cable which is twice as much as the B2B rating (or have i got that wrong?)

Thanks

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
i am reinstalling a Sterling 50A B2B, which i bought from a member on here about a year ago. can anyone advise on the size of the cable i need to connect to the battery? i understand it may depend on the length, which is under 2m - if i fitted a cable larger than a 50A capacity, would that suffice? i was looking at a 100A rated cable which is twice as much as the B2B rating (or have i got that wrong?)

Thanks
You cannot fit cables too big ! The bigger the better

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Off the top of head I would go for 25mm although you could use thinner.

25mm equates to 170A - i was thinking that if the B2B is rated at 50A then the cable doesnt need to be a higher rating than that, however i was looking at 16mm which is 110A - so rated as twice as much as the B2B

i do understand your point Jaws, but there seems little point in using a sledgehammer to crack this particular nut ...

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
25mm equates to 170A - i was thinking that if the B2B is rated at 50A then the cable doesnt need to be a higher rating than that, however i was looking at 16mm which is 110A - so rated as twice as much as the B2B

i do understand your point Jaws, but there seems little point in using a sledgehammer to crack this particular nut ...
There are two issues to consider when choosing cable cross-section: the first and obvious one is to pick a size that will carry the likely current. The cable data will tell you how big you'll need to go. The second and more important when considering low-voltage supplies is the resistance of the cable. This can range from irrelevant for a very short cable run to very important if the run is more than a couple of feet. For a 2M run err on the side of caution and go with Jaws suggestion.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

16mm over 2m will give about a 2% voltage drop. The recommended maximum is 3% to 4% so you should be fine. I would still use 25mm but 16mm will work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Thanks everyone. 25mm cable ordered as advised !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back