Sterling 1600 pure sine inverter issues STERLING POWER PRO SIB121600 (2 Viewers)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Well mine has been sorted too. My problem was the cables used were not man enough and giving some voltage drop. Colin aka army two whells and I had it all out and measured today and sorted it

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Well done
Yes low voltage at the terminals would have spoken volumes at you
"Cables too small!!"

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I've now bought this 90 degree rewireable schuko plug to replace the UK 3 pin on the inline RCD unit so I won't need the euro adapter
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Strange but the link is not going to the target but to an item i posted in this week I bought
I edited 3 times and it refuses to go to the item and now 5 minute editing limit has elapsed (FAR TOO SHORT)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Glad I read this I've been considering buying the same one for ages. Torn between a Sterling or a cheaply off fleabay think I'll eventually go the cheaply route as it'll mostly only run small items and very occasionally wife's hair dryer for 5 minutes max.
Well now we know it works but it is not made CLEAR that you can ONLY use a Sterling remote that has an EXTRA bit for well over £30 extra plus delivery
So consider do you NEED a remote when evaluating the potential total cost.
Stylish and does the job but still expensive compared to alternatives.

My new UPS unit is quieter due to larger fans that run effortlessly and without discount is a similar price but with built in 3 stage charger.
No contest

BTW the unit I bought is available as 1500watt continuous too and cheaper (y)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thanks
Made up my mind up to buy a cheapie 1800 watt for occasional use and keep my current good quality 600w one for everything else. Sterling too expensive for me especially compared to other products available and my occasional use.

One question though can I run the two off one set of batteries as long as I only use one at a time and fuse separately.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It has occurred to me that members might be wondering why an inverter charger is of benefit to me? I took it for granted that people know my set up but obviously this is not true :LOL:
My 500ah battery bank is a separate entity to my habitation batteries and has never had a charger. For nearly 18 months this bank has been supported by 300 watt of solar and an MPPT solar regulator with complete success.
I can if I wish switch between my battery banks to supply the hab 12 volts but the primary use of the big bank is for the inverter alone and on good days the fridge too on 12 volts.
Having the charger in reserve is quite a bonus for winter but so far we've never been short of power at any time of year.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
EDIT
Actually the bank was 375ah up until recently but I'm sure with our usage that the solars will still manage this

Editing time really is far too short IMHO 5 mins is not real

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
techno, your just getting way to techno for funsters....
The real reason men have an inverter is for women to dry and use straighteners on their hair. My inverter works fine no too so I do trust Sterling products and they are good as far as I am concerned.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
how about a picture of the so essential extra bit?

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Right then, a little progress update. Nowt from Paul.:(
how about a picture of the so essential extra bit?

This is a typical CBE mains distribution unit. I had to retro fit the RCD myself as the French don't bother.
See the vacant position on the distribution bus bar? this is where I'll plug in the lead I made up so I can plug in the charger side of the UPS without changing or cutting off the original euro plug and thus preserving warranty.
CA_02061419093340-L.jpg

CBE plugs available from Marcle leisure
CA_07111419002016-L.jpg

Schuko socket ebay
CA_07111419000509-L.jpg

five more get ups in Bristol then a week off to ready the van for the Mosel (y)

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
right, I just want to clear things up for those that all of a sudden may of become anti sterling...
1) My 1600w inverter now runs absolutely brilliantly. The problem or difference seems to of been in the cables provided or should I say not provided. my last QSW Sterling had integrated cables so when I sold the unit I thought it only fair to sell it as I received it. I made up some cables from old jump leads I had available and thought would be man enough for the job, they were not. As soon as me and Sid (AKA Mr Army twowheels) had a look and had some testing equipment which I did not have handy (a voltage meter) it was evident what the problem was, this and a little lecture about my choice of battery terminal holders and all changed it works fine. THIS IS NOT A STERLING ERROR THIS IS AN INSTALLER ERROR.

2) The remote, I don't know what Andy was told or what Andy asked his supplier, I was clearly told when I purchased mine that my current remote would need changing despite it looking the same. I asked the question and got the answer at purchase, plus again having sold my QSW inverter with the remote advertised I knew I would have to be having a new remote anyhow. THIS IS NOT A STERLING ERROR ITS A PURCHASER ERROR. To assume your remote would work Andy was a little bit of the old ASS-U-ME if you know what I mean.

So in conclusion, I have a Sterling 1600W pure sine wave inverter that now (thansk to Andy's auto changeover gadget) provides scorching milk out the microwave, drys Nikki's hair and even straightens it wonderfully. It's now fitted with a maxi fuse holder in line with a maxi fuse in it.
My B2B charger (also by sterling) works extremely well does what it should and was simple to install. My Previous Sterling inverter now owned by another funster worked really well too.

I have no association with Sterling products other than to say, mine are brilliant and in my mind great value for money especially when you can get a discount of Eddie VB too.
So don't dismiss them on user/installer error and Charles Sterling always does his best to answer questions to sort things out. I would not hesitate on buying any other of his products

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes I agree Paul
All I asked for was a picture of the extra bit that comes with the remote as Charles says they are the same but it only works with this part included

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Haganap

I think we all understand now that the Sterling is a good bit of kit as long as it is fitted properly and not by you using an old set of jump leads. It also highlights the importance of decent cables and connections on these high power inverters.

Can you comment on the QSW vs Pure sign wave now that you have experienced both., does the microwave warm milk any quicker now.

Btw QSW = Quasi Sine Wave or sometimes called modified sine wave (just for readers info)

Martin

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
The pure sign wave does what it should. Produces clean power which works no different to the van on electric. The qsw is a great bit of kit but would not work the microwave properly or more importantly my essential hair straighteners. ..now its all working I'm very pleased with it. .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back