Sterilising fresh water tank (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
its that time of year again when the fresh water tank needs sterilising. I have read that any mixture containing chlorine i.e. Milton can damage the boiler. Any recommendations on a suitable treatment. We don't normally drink the water from the tank but I don't like to think of all those little bugs in there.

Spongy

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
A capful of white vinegar is recommended in my Rapido handbook. Sounds good to me!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
There is some information on a thread entitled A Quickie for Frustrated Funsters which may be of interest to you too.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
IMG_0263.JPG

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Just a repeat of my Post of a few days ago:- DO NOT use any Chlorine based product where Stainless Steel is concerned. Most commonly used grades of "Stainless" are NOT resistant to Chlorine. And will (Usually) perforate after ???? (some) use. Acetic Acid (Vinegar) is OK.

Cleaning the fresh water tank even is "iffy" as traces may get into the boiler.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
That'll be the same bugs that's in all tanks and water then.....:D2

Yes -the ones that pose no danger to life or limb what so ever.
I just done an Internet search regarding incidents of poisoning from M/H water tanks. I found non!
It appears that we should be much more worried about incidents of gassing in M/H's. It seems that IS a common occurrence.:Eeek:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yes -the ones that pose no danger to life or limb what so ever.
I just done an Internet search regarding incidents of poisoning from M/H water tanks. I found non!
It appears that we should be much more worried about incidents of gassing in M/H's. It seems that IS a common occurrence.:Eeek:
That's cos we always clean our tanks out properly. :D2

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I suppose it depends if you intend drinking it. Having had a boat and MH's I have never had to clean the tank out but I would never drink it as you don't know where the water is from. I asked at the Cattle Market in Bakewell if I could fill up with water as we were getting rather low. No problem was the reply but I will show you which tap to use as all the others are pumped from the river. We have also filled up at the spring in Buxton. Running water that everyone fills bottles up from. Get the watering cans out and away you go.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If anyone saw the insides of an underground reservoir (where most water comes from) in England they wouldn't even wash in it let alone drink it......

IMG_0789.JPG

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks for all the posts, looks like the Elsan tank clean is the best bet.

Spongy

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Best bets not to bother like the majority on here.
We also had a narrow boat for 12 years (before the M/H) and never once disinfected that either. The water for NB's is in the most remote places and the quality is likely to be far than worse than any camp site or Aire.
Still here and not affected -------- well not as you'd notice:dance2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back