sterilising fresh water - question (1 Viewer)

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
We use our fresh water from the tank only for brushing teeth and washing fruit and vegetables...not to drink...but would like to feel it's 'fresh' and clean nonetheless. In warmer climates we are of the inclination to sterilise the tank on a regular basis to stop any nasties.....does anyone here sterilise regularly in very warm weather and if so what do you use....I've read somewhere that Milton is bad for MH water tanks.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
We have always used aquaclean tabs when filling the tank abroad, dissolve enough tabs to cleanse a full tank in a cup with a little water then add through the inspection access point and stir. Suppose you could fill, add and drive if you dont have an easy access point that would sort it. We use tank cleaner at least annually too. Dont forget to avoid spray from unused taps / shower heads, risk of lots of bacteria lurking there too. I think bottled water best for drinking abroad but I like to take a full tank of Yorkshire water!

OP
OP
Pia

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
We have always used aquaclean tabs when filling the tank abroad,
Thanks, Granjan....do you use them every time you fill the tank or just periodically?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As we only have an 80 lt tank we also take bottled water as it gives us a longer time off grid, but we do use aquatabs around every other fill up , not a lot of money and I've can never taste anything, so no reason not to really .

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
I just tend to use them with non uk water, or anywhere I am not happy about the water supply. I have seen people abroad use the fresh water delivery point to rinse out their toilet cassette, you would be best to clean the delivery holster too, antiseptic wipes and rubber gloves are another comfort zone. Bottled water best for drinking.

OP
OP
Pia

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
I have seen people abroad use the fresh water delivery point to rinse out their toilet cassette, you would be best to clean the delivery holster too, antiseptic wipes and rubber gloves are another comfort zone. Bottled water best for drinking.
yes, people do the strangest things......definitely wipes for the taps...and we aways use bottled or filtered water to drink even in this country. thanks for the chat and the tips:D...happy travels.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
We don't actually drink just water. So whatever we do comes out of the tank from the local water. The kettle boils it for tea etc. Never sterilised anything. Never caught anything. :)

When back in the UK with all the stuff they put in our water, methinks the tank sterilises itself.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We have used NaturePure in the past but in the new van did not bother, we use a Britajug which works well for us.

Reactions: CWH

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
I've always used Nature Pure with a faucet. ..but just bought a new van and will be installing Nature Pure filter on the kitchen tap only, no faucet. ..
Keith

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We have used NaturePure in the past but in the new van did not bother, we use a Britajug which works well for us.
I'm getting a tiny van Michael, so space will be at a premium; did you have any issues with NaturePure ?
I've always used Nature Pure with a faucet. ..but just bought a new van and will be installing Nature Pure filter on the kitchen tap only, no faucet. ..
Now I'm confused Keith. What's the difference please between a tap and a faucet? or are you saying there's a filter you can fit onto an existing tap?

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Never had problems, have had them on 2 boats with aluminium tanks which buggered the tea, and on the last van. They are excellent for chlorine taste removal I have found. The cartridge lasts a long time we only used to bother to change when tea started tasting funny

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Generally all the water in Europe is chlorinated and safe to drink so no health worries but you often get the 'orrible taste in a cupper caused by the minerals in the water reacting with the plastic pipes & tank. Used to use a jug filter but for the last couple of years fitted a cheap Ā£20 whale filter in line with the kitchen tap and never had a bad cupper with either.

Last edited:
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Me and my mates are still here.....:cool:

IMG_0934.PNG

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Me and my mates are still here.....:cool:

View attachment 151083

Exactly

All the time we toured N Z we drank and used the tank water without issues and that was in a hired MoHo.

I don't think they treat the water as much as over here either.

Remember what doesn't kill you makes you stronger :D

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Drink Water and your insides go rusty, you can always tell if they are rusty, your whoopsee is brown :pop:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Frankly I am not overly concerned about the water out of the taps, but I do hate a plasticy taste in my morning coffee and from the ice maker

Ruins my Rum lol

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Yes I use the Nature Pure Seagull system and absolutely love it

Hi Eddie,

Do you use the filter & faucet (tap) so that you only filter water to drink? or do you filter all the cold water supply?

Reason I ask is that I would have thought that using the additional tap means you only filter drinking water so the filter should last longer than if filtering all the fresh water - BUT - do you know if the pure seagull system supplies a faucet/tap with a micro switch to operate the water pump?

I guess I could fit any caravan tap with a built in micro switch - doh!! o_O

Thanks in advance :)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Mine was Hobsons Choice as a good mate donated a brand new kit when he changed his van. Luckily for me it was perfect. A faucet which easily fitted in the kitchen worktop, actually balancing everything up as the camper has twin stainless steel sinks, a mixer in the middle, and a "swisher" thing for rinsing prepared veg etc one side leaving it looking unbalanced.

The faucet has no micro switch which meant that I could easily put a "T" piece in line before the faucet to plumb the ice maker on filtered water as well

As you say it would be dead easy to change the faucet for one with a micro switch, or, change the pump for one with a built in pressure switch to make the micro switches redundant, better in the longer term.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks to this thread, I now know that the water filter system in our motorhome is a Nature Pure Seagull. Does anyone else find that the tap is a bit of a pain, as the 'off' positions are not at the end of the travel, so you have to be precise in the postioning of it, and it can be quite tricky if you can't see the flow, e.g. when filling a kettle?

I've bought a replacement 'press' tap to fit when we finally get home.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Thanks to this thread, I now know that the water filter system in our motorhome is a Nature Pure Seagull. Does anyone else find that the tap is a bit of a pain, as the 'off' positions are not at the end of the travel, so you have to be precise in the postioning of it, and it can be quite tricky if you can't see the flow, e.g. when filling a kettle?

I've bought a replacement 'press' tap to fit when we finally get home.
My "Off" is definitely "Off" No drips no mess. Perhaps the tap is worn?

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
My "Off" is definitely "Off" No drips no mess. Perhaps the tap is worn?
It does turn off properly, but you have to get it the right postion - go past and it turns on again. The sequence from fully clockwise to fully anti-clockwise (and vice versa) is on-off-on-off-on, rather than just off-on, or even off-on-off would be fine, so that 'off' was at the end of the travel in at least one direction.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It does turn off properly, but you have to get it the right postion - go past and it turns on again. The sequence from fully clockwise to fully anti-clockwise (and vice versa) is on-off-on-off-on, rather than just off-on, or even off-on-off would be fine, so that 'off' was at the end of the travel in at least one direction.
Well mine goes from dead stop off, through ninety degrees, to flat out and is incremental flow wise in between IE at forty five degrees its about half flow

Normally when a tap goes over a position it indicates that it is worn.

Last edited:

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La ChĆ¢tre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Tank water... yuk.

Cheap supermarket, large bottled water for me thanks, always a couple of litres in the fridge ice cold too, nothing beats it.

(Ok, Scotch comes a close second)

Milton's bad for your water heater insides as it has a corrosive nature on stainless steel fittings so best not to use it at all.

I do chuck a couple of puraclean tablets to the tank water once in a while just to keep things sweet, washing veg, teeth etc as I have seen loads of idiots washing toilet cassettes with fresh water, even dropping the hoses in the cassette.

I carry spray disinfectant in the gas locker where I keep my hoses for a quick squirt round and never let my hoses touch the ground near a toilet/fresh point after I saw a woman cover herself and most of the water point in sh!t from her cassette blowback. Did she clean it up? No. Off she went on her merry way and guess who hosed it all down.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back