LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I have read through all of the above 29 posts and have a question to ask the collective, if I may? I have always used my Garmin Montana 600 GPS, mounted on a suction cup holder to provide me with satnav capability in our motorhome. It's worked great and has always gotten us where we needed to be .... however, it is not easy for Mrs Sunlover to make use of, and when it's mounted to the right of me, it is impossible for her to reach it to make any changes. Our new van has a Pioneer AVIC head unit, with CarPlay. I have never used CarPlay so excuse my ignorance in asking, but am I correct in thinking that if I configure the head unit to connect to my iPhone 12 Pro with CarPlay, if we then load up Waze on the iPhone, then it will show the app on the Pioneer head unit display screen, which in turn means Mrs S can then have control of the destination input and route changes etc?

That is exactly what it means. A larger screen than a phone or standalone satnav. Always up to date, including live traffic. No subscriptions/update fees. However, you generally need internet access for most apps and have to plug in the phone every time. You control everything via the head unit, so you don't need to use the phone controls for anything once you're plugged in. Indeed, controlling the phone whilst driving is an offence.

Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
You will get a screen in the head unit that shows the apps on your phone similar to this picture although that is from my car, you can select any mapping app on your phone to use it’s navigation.

Attachments

• 061A35AD-7B42-4BBA-8DD7-5A1E6BB75A1D.jpeg
    061A35AD-7B42-4BBA-8DD7-5A1E6BB75A1D.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 9
Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
That is exactly what it means. A larger screen than a phone or standalone satnav. Always up to date, including live traffic. No subscriptions/update fees. However, you generally need internet access for most apps and have to plug in the phone every time. You control everything via the head unit, so you don't need to use the phone controls for anything once you're plugged in. Indeed, controlling the phone whilst driving is an offence.
But could the app that is running the satnav/mapping be controlled by the non-driver's phone/fingers, as opposed to on the head unit, or does the head unit act as the iPhone screen and any swipes and gestures are made on that screen instead?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
But could the app that is running the satnav/mapping be controlled by the non-driver's phone/fingers, as opposed to on the head unit, or does the head unit act as the iPhone screen and any swipes and gestures are made on that screen instead?

I don't know specifically about Apple's version and can only comment on my Android experience. The screen is not actually mirrored. The phone screen is inactive and the app runs on the head unit screen only. Typically the head unit is mounted where the passenger can reach it.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I have read through all of the above 29 posts and have a question to ask the collective, if I may? I have always used my Garmin Montana 600 GPS, mounted on a suction cup holder to provide me with satnav capability in our motorhome. It's worked great and has always gotten us where we needed to be .... however, it is not easy for Mrs Sunlover to make use of, and when it's mounted to the right of me, it is impossible for her to reach it to make any changes. Our new van has a Pioneer AVIC head unit, with CarPlay. I have never used CarPlay so excuse my ignorance in asking, but am I correct in thinking that if I configure the head unit to connect to my iPhone 12 Pro with CarPlay, if we then load up Waze on the iPhone, then it will show the app on the Pioneer head unit display screen, which in turn means Mrs S can then have control of the destination input and route changes etc?
On my previous van, I fitted a head unit with Android Auto for this very reason. We did 6 months in Europe, moving pretty much every day. Used Google Maps every time. If I had a question about the route, there was traffic, we were changing the destination or we just needed to divert to get fuel, my wife would tap away on the radio to sort it... and do the DJ'ing.

The Android Auto/Apple CarPlay radios tend to have fairly basic features while there's no phone plugged in. Attach the phone and the phone is effectively driving the radio like it's a second screen. I'm not sure what Apple is like, but Android does allow you to keep using your phone while it's driving an Android Auto radio, so you can keep messaging, etc. But you can't double-use Maps.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Basically what happens when you switch to Apple Carplay the radio unit becomes your phone, it will read any txt's you receive and will ask you do you want to reply, delete or save.
Any apps you have on your phone will now be on the radio screen, in short it bloody fantastic.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
I think I need to go and sit in the moho this evening and have a bloody good fiddle :) The Garmin needs to be mounted on the side window as the screen on the A-Class is too far away from the driving position to easily reach it, but that then needs removing every night due to the privacy blind pulling across the side screen for the evening shut-eye. I'd prefer to set things up and leave them set up rather than have to keep demounting and refitting every day. I had tried mounting an iPad on the clipboard holder, connected to my phone with wi-fi hotspot enabled, but it didn't seemingly want to make use of the phone's GPS, so the mapping never worked properly as it did not update during transit. I thought I could get around that by using an old Bluetooth GPS receiver connected to the iPad, but at 13 years old it doesn't want to connect with the new iOS on our phones <sigh>

So, whilst there's a SatNav feature built into the Pioneer AVIC, I have had my one complimentary free map update within the first 40 days of purchasing the van, and now there's a ÂŁ100+ fee to update the maps every time (not wanting to buy into that model of keeping the head unit maps current). If I can make use of existing data packages/devices and user familiarity, it will make van life and route changes a bit easier for both of us hopefully.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Basically what happens when you switch to Apple Carplay the radio unit becomes your phone, it will read any txt's you receive and will ask you do you want to reply, delete or save.
Any apps you have on your phone will now be on the radio screen, in short it bloody fantastic.
Could be awkward if one of my secret lovers texts me a cheeky message and it pops up on the main radio screen :oops:

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I think I need to go and sit in the moho this evening and have a bloody good fiddle :) The Garmin needs to be mounted on the side window as the screen on the A-Class is too far away from the driving position to easily reach it, but that then needs removing every night due to the privacy blind pulling across the side screen for the evening shut-eye. I'd prefer to set things up and leave them set up rather than have to keep demounting and refitting every day. I had tried mounting an iPad on the clipboard holder, connected to my phone with wi-fi hotspot enabled, but it didn't seemingly want to make use of the phone's GPS, so the mapping never worked properly as it did not update during transit. I thought I could get around that by using an old Bluetooth GPS receiver connected to the iPad, but at 13 years old it doesn't want to connect with the new iOS on our phones <sigh>

So, whilst there's a SatNav feature built into the Pioneer AVIC, I have had my one complimentary free map update within the first 40 days of purchasing the van, and now there's a ÂŁ100+ fee to update the maps every time (not wanting to buy into that model of keeping the head unit maps current). If I can make use of existing data packages/devices and user familiarity, it will make van life and route changes a bit easier for both of us hopefully.
There are lots of debates about the pros and cons of motorhome specific satnavs. My personal opinion is that generic Google Maps and Waze have the best mapping with good routing and the best traffic information. They don't know about roads that are too narrow for motorhomes. But the satnavs that do take into account vehicle size and weight tend to be worse navs with mapping that's more likely to be incorrect. I prefer the reliability of Google Maps and just accept that I might decide not to make that right turn down that country lane when I get there, but it'll sort itself out.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I had tried mounting an iPad on the clipboard holder, connected to my phone with wi-fi hotspot enabled, but it didn't seemingly want to make use of the phone's GPS
The iPad only has a GPS chip if it also has cellular capability, though it doesn’t need a sim card for the GPS to work. I used my iPad using phone data for a couple of years but it must have it’s own GPS chip.

All this is now history because CarPlay is brilliant. All you need is a USB to lightning lead plugged into the back of the Pioneer head unit. We have our lead emerging in the Fiat’s small dash top glove box. We set up the Waze or Google Maps route on the phone and simply plug it in and leave it in the glove box. All the functions you need can be controlled from the Pioneer touch screen. If you have a second phone I find it a good idea to switch off it’s bluetooth because the head unit may also pick up calls via bluetooth and it gets confusing.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
We too have the two usb connection leads in the chill box on the top of the dash, so if I get a lightning to usb connector then it doesn't need to use the Bluetooth, is that right? * edit * so that's basically just a charging lead that we already have x:-)

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
We too have the two usb connection leads in the chill box on the top of the dash, so if I get a lightning to usb connector then it doesn't need to use the Bluetooth, is that right?
CarPlay needs a plug in connection, bluetooth gives some connectivity but not the navigation functions. A lightning to usb connector should work but I haven’t tried one, some of the cheaper ones may only act as a charging connection not data.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We too have the two usb connection leads in the chill box on the top of the dash, so if I get a lightning to usb connector then it doesn't need to use the Bluetooth, is that right?
Most radios need a wired connection to use CarPlay/Auto... although wireless ones have started to appear.

It's likely only one of the leads will be the primary that can drive CarPlay/Auto. The other one can be to charge another phone (slowly). Or can be used to plug in a USB memory stick of music.

An oddity of Android Auto (not sure if CarPlay is the same): even when the phone is plugged in and driving the maps, I think the audio is still via Bluetooth?

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Thanks Guigsy, that fits with my understanding of the two leads in the glove box. I need to go plug something in and see what lights up .... maybe over lunchtime as the suspenders are killing me :ROFLMAO: It would seem we can connect both wired and wirelessly, so the world might just be my oyster if I can get it right.

1629371321473.png

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My CarPlay music is via the cable link not bluetooth. I listen to cached music on the Radio Paradise app which is CarPlay enabled. Better than bluetooth if you are listening to lossless recordings. I guess that some music apps are not enabled and fall back to bluetooth.

Edit. Interesting about CarPlay over bluetooth. That bit is new to me.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My CarPlay music is via the cable link not bluetooth. I listen to cached music on the Radio Paradise app which is CarPlay enabled. Better than bluetooth if you are listening to lossless recordings. I guess that some music apps are not enabled and fall back to bluetooth.

I'm fairly sure that Wireless CarPlay and the rarer Wireless Android Auto use WiFi for the link.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp

It appears to disconnect the Bluetooth function ... I've read this again and again a few times now and it confuzzles me, so it really does need me to plug something in and have a fiddle to get the measure of what's what.

1629372351671.png

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It appears to disconnect the Bluetooth function ... I've read this again and again a few times now and it confuzzles me, so it really does need me to plug something in and have a fiddle to get the measure of what's what.

View attachment 528425
I'm pretty sure that you can still play music and take calls via the radio for the phone plugged in. I guess that technically it's not using the 'Bluetooth audio' function anymore because it's use the 'CarPlay' function. But from a user's perspective... what's the difference?

Feb 5, 2016
South Wales UK
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XLB
Exp
8 years
Yes that’s right. I’ve done the same although personally I prefer Apple Maps. Easily accessible for passenger to view and update as and when required. I also find it more up to date than my old Garmin camper.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Could be awkward if one of my secret lovers texts me a cheeky message and it pops up on the main radio screen :oops:
We won't mention the txt my wife Chris received back from me, the digital equivalent of a spell checker signed off by see you later T**T.
It raised a giggle.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Alrighty, cooking on gas now. Connected iPhone to CarPlay lead, selected device and followed the printed instructions to connect via usb lead. Bit of a false start, but got there eventually. Opened up iPhone via the on-screen icon and bingo, there's my phone screen with my CP enabled apps all waiting to be used. So far have tried Google Maps, Waze and Spotify and all were working as expected. Probably need to get a bit more conversant with switching into it and better understanding what to touch, and where and when, to make it a smooth operation, but it is definitely working and if nothing else, gives us the Waze satnav option which has proven itself to be handy for realtime live traffic condition updates.

Mrs Sunlover will be pleased to have been given the opportunity to reroute us as she sees fit now :) Many thanks for all the assists in getting me up and running on using the CarPlay feature.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012

As any message comes in (even WhatsApp) it will read it out to you, also you can reply verbally without having to write anything.

It does have it's limits..... i have a colleague in Israel called Hila, i replied to a WhatsApp message asking the person to "just ask Hila to arrange it" it wrote "just ask Hitler to arrange it" fortunately it always reads it out before sending it so i managed to catch it, but had a laugh at least.

CarPlay: wouldn't be without it now ! have it in all 3 vehicles.

Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
Another good feature when abroad is the bbc sounds app you can get your preferred radio station whilst simultaneously using the map for navigation. Also make use of Siri to do it for you đź‘Ť

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back