stepthrough bike and cycle carrier (1 Viewer)

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Anybody got any thoughts or recommendations for a tow bar mounted bike rack for a step through ebike frame? I have a Witter ZX302, but the per bike weight isn't going to be up to an ebike, so I'll need to replace it. I'm thinking of the Witter ZXE502, which is designed for electric bikes, but I'm not sure if a step through will attach very well to the upper clamps, as it doesn't have a crossbar as such. I particularly like the fold up design (which folds up flat to save length and clearance/overhang and can be driven in this position, and thus left on the rig whether taking bikes or not. Big plus for me, as we have no garage at present)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123172223374

I'm also looking at a Westafalia BC60, which because of loop-stye attachment might be more flexible for adding to a step through frame (It doesn't appear to fold up in transit, though)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292253697736

I'm thinking of the Rayleigh Motus or Captus or the Wisper Torque bike, if that makes a difference.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi We have a tow bar mounted Atera Strada bike carrier and use it with our Gepida Reptila step through bikes. Excellent combination, easy to mount the carrier, and easy to put the bikes on and off

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi We have a tow bar mounted Atera Strada bike carrier and use it with our Gepida Reptila step through bikes. Excellent combination, easy to mount the carrier, and easy to put the bikes on and off
We have the e-bike version of one of these and would agree. Worth having a look at the Roofbox Company website.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I recently bought a Thule Velocompact 927, to carry four bikes, up to 60kg.
I've been amazed at how well built it is and how sturdy it is when travelling.
Far better than expected, and infinitely better than the Fiamma rack it replaced.
The arms would be perfectly adequate for a step through bike.
The locks and matched keys are a nice touch, although I do use additional locks to increase security.

I did investigate Witter, Westafalia and Atera, all look good tbh.
Choose Thule for spare parts availability, ease of resale in the future and the fact that I've seen so many in use across Europe.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
At first we found the step through a bit awkward to put on the rack but we bought a new clamp which adjusts in 2 directions to fit the sloping seat tube. Don't know if the other bike rack makers make a similar one or if the Fiamma clamp will fit other brand bike racks? Alternatively you can buy an adapter for stepthroughs which is basically a removable cross bar.

OP
OP
Wellington

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
A belated thank you for everyone’s input. Witter have (unofficially) said the 302 should be fine. I’m in two minds. In the one hand it probably will be fine. On the other, it’s a seriously expensive bike to replace and I’d bet no insurance would pay out if it fell off. Although it does say on the rack itself it’s good for 60kg.

We will actually be under the 34kg limit for the carrier, but it will be one 23kg and one 9kg bike, scuppering the 17kg bike limit. I think it’s going to be around 20kg without the battery (which witter reckon will be ok) so the rack will ok. I’m not sure sure I’m happy to risk my spanking new E-Bike bouncing off down the road and the insurance company saying I should have put it on the proper rack and refusing to pay up.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The atera bike carrier 60 kg for electric bikes has anyone used it with an autotrail with the spare wheel mounted on the rear of the van. Cheers

OP
OP
Wellington

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I've been distracted with bricks and mortar all winter, but now we are on our first trip away since August, I thought I’d update.

I bought the Witter. It’s awful. It’s hard to get the bike on because it’s soooo heavy at the rear with the FollowMe (which I love) and the ramp is narrow. That’s to be expected, but rack is wobbly on the tow bar, and the bike is wobbly in the rack. It hasn’t actually fallen off yet, but it’s been a close run thing a couple of times. The loops are incredibly fiddly to secure the wheels and the frame clamp doesn’t secure the bike at well at all. It’s also canted towards the van, and can’t be straightened, hence the damage. I rang Witter, who suggested a couple of places to look at it, both of whom don’t think it’s fit for purpose. One of them said send it back and buy a Thule! I haven’t had time to follow up, so I’ve no criticism of Witter's service, but the rack doesn’t hold the bikes securely and there is damage to both the bike and the MH because of it. The light bike rack is fine for light bikes, but unless I’ve bought a lemon, the rack isn’t suitable for ebikes, it’s just not secure enough.

I love the bike, and the FollowMe. We can go zipping about on local journeys and it’s saved us a fortune in taxis. I still like to use the bus if available, but these are great if there isn’t one, or we need a bit more flexibility. There was only one hill that beat us, and it’s a second gear jonin car, so only to be expected.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I have a Westfalia and have used it for step-through e-bikes. Both with thick down tubes.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
s-l1600-3796-1024x1024.jpg
I have the thule towbar mounted rack for ebikes will take 60kg plenty for 2 ebikes

With your frame you need to buy the thule 982 bar that clamps around the head stock and the seat post creating a crossbar for you to clamp onto quick means you will not scratch your bike as you are attaching the bike rack arms to the new spurious crossbar and not your bike

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back