Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
My manual steps were hard to pull out and didn't get level when out so I put a lot of WD40 on them and finally managed to get them to move freely and they now lock in the extended position and you have to lift the end to push it back up. My problem now is that it will not stay up and drops down a bit while driving and sticks out a bit is there any way it should lock in the closed position?

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Not sure they are on an Autotrail Cheyenne 634L 2002 I will have a look for a makers name later.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
They might be Omni steps this bit was interesting to read.

SAFETY: We advise against using manual steps on PSVs, mini-buses, etc., and do not recommend their use on other self-propelled vehicles such as campervan conversions or motorhomes. On these vehicles we strongly suggest that you should use electric or electronic steps, wired to auto-retract when the engine starts, for both safety and insurance reasons.

OMNI-STEP_MANUAL_47.jpg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Yes, I did read that, do you have a warning buzzer ?

I had manual Omni steps on a Karmann that had a buzzer that sounded if you started the engine with the steps down..

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
No nothing on mine at all unless its been removed by a previous owner, I will have a look under the step once its dried up a bit. I always do a walk around before setting off so that's not really a problem its stopping them from opening by themselves that's the problem.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
No nothing on mine at all unless its been removed by a previous owner, I will have a look under the step once its dried up a bit. I always do a walk around before setting off so that's not really a problem its stopping them from opening by themselves that's the problem.

ok.. let us know what you find.. maybe a securing catch needs adjusting or has worn... or dropped off..

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
If you're planning on replacing from scratch, the attached diag..will help
image.jpg

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Its got these words on the front but some are missing anyone recognise the make or model?
step.jpg

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Thanks big map now just got to find some diagrams or parts list to see what's missing.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Looks like a good starting point.(y)

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Just sent MAPA an email asking for UK dealers see what they say unless anyone has an idea of who may stock these springs.

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
try this,
did a quicky but could not find springs,
i dealt with them a few months back and were very helpful p&p was a little dear though,

http://www.mapastore.com/cerca.asp

Thanks Al-Di looks like I have to register with them to order but they do sell them. I will have a good look at my steps when its dry and then decide what to do. I suspect the springs are broken and may have been removed then someone has tightened up the brackets to stop it coming out that all fits in with my original problem.

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Well the rain went from a deluge to just a downpour so decided to have a good look under. All the pieces of the jigsaw are now falling into place. First the underside has been under-sealed at some point which was a nice surprise but the tame guerilla that lives in the pit had sprayed lots on the step framework this is why it was tight. The springs were in place and not broken but had become weak over the years (2002) but they can be tightened up as one end sits in a slot a 180 degree twist should restore the tension. The problem is that they are covered by the retracted steps when in least tension and when they are accessible in the step out the tension is too much to turn. Next step (no pun intended) is to remove the front bolts and lower the step so that I can turn the spring easier. There is a micro switch but it looks like its never been connected, no wires to be seen might rig up an alarm later. I will post how I get on once its done. Thanks for the help so far.

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Well they are all sorted now. Plan A did not work as it was very difficult to turn the spring and put it back in its slot so gave up on that. Found a much simpler way of doing it, the springs sit on a hexagonal shaft with a slot in the end. Loosen the not holding this to the frame work then you can just get a spanner onto the hexagonal shaft turn this to tension up the spring then hold it and re-tighten the nut so its locked in place. Repeat on the other side Job done, I think you may be able to do this with the steps extended but I managed with then in a half open position. I now no longer drive around looking like one of those vans that carry plates of glass around.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back