Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi All you travelling buddies,
I am sitting outside my MH in a nice site feeling a bit down, now I know whenever I have a problem you guys have more than contributed to overcoming my MH problems with your suggestions and fixes if not my depression,
so here goes with the first one, on leaving a lay by yesterday my Omnistor electric step “drop down not the slide out type” did not retract when the engine was started or by the button by the habitation door, so not knowing what to do and being very near to my next stopover I carefully drove to that site pissing off a few larger vehicles coming the other way as I probably overcompensated for my step being out.
Listing what I have done already as not to waste your time, before leaving the lay by I found a 20amp fuse behind the drivers seat which looked ok but I changed it just in case to no avail.
When I reached the site I had a look under the step and saw an arm with a “R” clip holding it secure, I have removed the R clip and levered the arm off the motor allowing the step to be folded back and I have zip tied it up for now, “I love zip ties”.

The second problem is to my mind a bit more depressing, just having arrived at the site and feeling low, I thought before I look at the step I'll have a cup of coffee, now I'm sure if I could hear you chaps and chapesses if there is such a word, you would be screaming at me as to what happened next, yes the coffee jar to add to my woes leaped out onto the kitchen worktop putting a dent in the laminated surface.

Now I'm sitting here waiting, what for I hear you say, no it's not for your insightful replies, it's for the “Problems all come in threes” syndrome, so I'm reluctant to do anything which will encourage something to be the third scenario.
So that's is it my friends to all I know and those I've yet to meet.
Many Thanks to all who contribute to this thread.
Best Wishes Tony

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Now I understand the step problem - on examination mine had a screw loose and poking out far enough to foul the mechanism and stop it moving - worth a second look

as for the worktop - OUCH we have had something similar when we were in our caravan a pair of salt and pepper mills did something similar and the cost of replacing the worktop was :eek: we ended up using self adhesive floor tiles and recovering the whole worktop

Lets hope that you don't have any more mishaps though

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Bummer about the two things that have happened, but your step will fix and your worktop will repair.

I'm not a believer in 'these things come in threes'. If it's going to happen, it will happen regardless, so get on with what you went away to do..... Enjoy yourself and if a third mishap happens, at least you've got it out of the way, rather than sitting worrying about it.

Best of luck :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Well I can't help you fix either of those things, but this will at least bump your thread and may make you smile (for a second anyway (y) :) ) My advice is to play a Cilla Black track - preferably Step inside love.

Yes, I know exactly where my coat is :)

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Bummer about the two things that have happened, but your step will fix and your worktop will repair.

I'm not a believer in 'these things come in threes'. If it's going to happen, it will happen regardless, so get on with what you went away to do..... Enjoy yourself and if a third mishap happens, at least you've got it out of the way, rather than sitting worrying about it.

Best of luck :D

Sorry about your step and worktop, hope you can get it fixed soon.
Like Kingham, not a believer in things happening in threes, who decided they happen in threes? Do all three have to happen in a certain period of time to be counted?
They might happen in twos, in which case you're fine, you can forget about it!! (y)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Important lesson Tony .. don't put tins and heavy stuff in cupboards over the stove, sink or worktop....

The third thing is that you feel low .. so stop worrying about it about to happen. It's happened .. and as a sufferer sending you a hug.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There are companies out there that do 'invisible' repairs to damaged domestic kitchen surfaces.
They can replicate just about any colour and patterned surface.
I believe they use a self levelling resin based product.
Not cheap but cheaper than a new work surface and the associated dismantling/fitting charges.

Type 'kitchen worktop invisible repairers' into google

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Important lesson Tony .. d
Expensive lesson learnt, but should of told me before it happened :-( or
I should of had the sence not to do it :(. What an idiot I am.
Best Wishes Tony.

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Hard lesson here I'm sure we have all had at one time or another.
If your not in favour of putting everything in plastic containers, then keep to your glass or jars but use small baskets in your cuboards this works very well
Enjoy your trip

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I met a couple on holiday and the chap had dropped something on the worktop and dented it. It was right in the centre. He has glued on a small glass worktop saver (chopping board) and it looks like it was meant to be there!

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Describe your symptoms of depression, I may be able to help!!

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
My step often "sticks"... so ignition-on fails to retract it... as does the door switch...

It's usually crud from the road that gets sprayed off the tyres...

Spraying often with wd and oil assists... but there's never a guarantee that it will retract as it should...

So.... My remedy ( now habbit ) is to stand outside and use my toe - whilst pressing the button by the door - incase it refuses to move of its own accord...

John.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Sorry to hear of your problems Tony but try not to let it get you down. As Kingham said, problems really don't always come in threes. The invisible repair people can almost certainly sort out your worktop and you will be able to get your step fixed when you are back. If the step is a problem for you whilst you are away, you could get a cheap moveable caravan step to tide you over.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
@airwave Hi There thanks for that, I personally think these or something like them should be supplied from new, I will certainly get some to give me peace of mind, I was also thinking of a high density foam over the top of the cooker and sink when traveling so should that happen again on the first opening it should just bounce off.
Best Wishes Tony

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
As a depression sufferer I would be totally unable to describe my symptoms :( especially under these circumstances. Tony, you did amazingly well to come to Stratford and mix .. each time will be a little easier.

Please try and come over to the Flora ladies too as we all understand from our own experiences ... hopefully see you at Pembury or wherever next.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back