Steering wheel/brake pedal lock? (1 Viewer)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Hi, anybody use one of these?
It's the type that clip over the steering wheel at one end and under the brake or clutch pedal at the other end and then you rachet it tight and lock it in place.
A bit old fashioned I know, but not bad I thought as an added deterant to any oicks thinking of trying to nick the van.
After fitting it in place and racheting it up so it was tight I suddenly remebered that you can adjust the height of the steering wheel. So, I pulled the lever and pushed the wheel down to its stop and the steering lock fell off.
Hey, ho, lesson learnt.
So if you do use one of these locks remember to push the steering wheel down to its lowest point first.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I gather that with one belt of a hammer in the right place that they break!

The Steering lock where a circular steel disc encompasses the steering wheel with a side bar to prevent it turning are very good at slowing down the crooks in tests that can be seen on YouTube. More expensive but you get what you pay for with locks.

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
Disclock, but check the size if you order

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
If you stamp on the brake pedal hard it breaks the lock. Had to do it a few times when I worked in a garage.

OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
As I said it is there as a deterrent. Most of us realise by now that if some scrote really wants to steal or break into your vehicle nothing will stop them. But the more obsticals you put in their way may make them decide to move on to another vehicle rather than face the hassel of overcoming the deterrents in your pride and joy.
My origanal point was, if you fit one of these steering wheel/ brake or clutch pedal locks just be aware that if your steering wheel is not in its lowest position then the lock can become useless

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Apart from already having an alarm fitted with immobilizer I recently had an auto electrician fit a old fashioned cut out switch, something that seemed to work well years ago but thieves don't look for anymore as everything nowadays is electronic, its hidden that good I have a job finding it sometimes :LOL:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Back in the good old, bad old days, when a nail file and 30 seconds could get a scrote almost any Ford or Vauxhaul, I used to fit a kill switch in all my motors.. But I never hid it..
Instead I mounted it on a wee two switch panel.
One switch went to the horn via a latching relay the other was the kill switch. And it was mounted right there on the dash.. Because it was in clear sight no bugger thought to try them.. And if they did they had a 50 50 chance of turning on the hooter which could not be turned off unless a third switch ( slightly tucked away but only cos usually there was no where to mount it easily ) was turned off !

I spose this would be one of the earlier versions of a car alarm :)

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Hey, 1980 called, they want their Krooklok back! :LOL:

$_86.JPG

Wow, this is a blast from the past (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Used to fit a switch in-line with the fuel pump on Morris minors & mini's. Do you remember Fords in the 80's when first started using the current shaped keys, they came with a plastic emergency key that would open any Ford of the same period.

Phil.1300

Free Member
Jan 12, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have got what they call a pedalbox .If fitts over all the pedals and has a padlock on top in a steel cover to lock it in place . You can also leave your mobile phone and satnav inside it as well as it is a secure steel box. Have a look ( protectavan solutions ltd )

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Disklok for me visual deterent and door deadlocks .(got a small size Disklok for sale)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I have got what they call a pedalbox .If fitts over all the pedals and has a padlock on top in a steel cover to lock it in place . You can also leave your mobile phone and satnav inside it as well as it is a secure steel box. Have a look ( protectavan solutions ltd )
Looks impressive but can't find a price. How much are they please?

Phil.1300

Free Member
Jan 12, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
£149 + posting. Sounds like a lot but it's a heavy piece of kit and very well designed and made. If a scumbag was looking to nick your motorhome and looked through the window and saw this over the pedals they would walk away without looking back.

Phil.1300

Free Member
Jan 12, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
You won't be disappointed with it. The amount that we pay for our motohomes, it's reassuring to know that we have done what we can to help protect our pride & joy

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC

I've been looking at this product with some interest!

http://www.protectavan.co.uk/content/pedalbox

This could solve two problems for me in one go... if... do you know if an iPad Mini would fit inside it?

I don't have a safe fitted so I always take my valuables out with me (iPad, cards, documents, etc) which is a pain, but nessecary.

This could be two birds with one stone if an iPad Mini fits (as that's my largest valuable in terms of physical size.

Phil.1300

Free Member
Jan 12, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've got a samsung S7 and a caravan club sat nav which i think is 6" screen and they both fit with no problems . I don't know what size an ipad mini is so i can't say if it will fit . Sorry

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Disklok for me visual deterent and door deadlocks .(got a small size Disklok for sale)
How small is small will it fit my ducato steering wheel?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Leopold, haven't seen one for 25 years or more but if memory serves it was a length of 1/2" or 5/8" box section with a J bend at the ends.....30 seconds with a hacksaw.
or 10 seconds with a modern 18v angle grinder

Nov 18, 2016
Monmouth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We've just bought our first van and wondered whether the Tracker subscription is worth having.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Back in the good old, bad old days, when a nail file and 30 seconds could get a scrote almost any Ford or Vauxhaul, I used to fit a kill switch in all my motors.. But I never hid it..
Instead I mounted it on a wee two switch panel.
One switch went to the horn via a latching relay the other was the kill switch. And it was mounted right there on the dash.. Because it was in clear sight no bugger thought to try them.. And if they did they had a 50 50 chance of turning on the hooter which could not be turned off unless a third switch ( slightly tucked away but only cos usually there was no where to mount it easily ) was turned off !

I spose this would be one of the earlier versions of a car alarm :)
i always used a floor mounted dip switch for that as no one ever saw you switch it of

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back