Stearing lock or wheel clamp (1 Viewer)

Andyrpm

Free Member
Aug 11, 2017
Funster No
Hi everybody, newbie motorhome owner here. I was thinking about security and was wondering if anybody has a preference over the wheel clamp type attachment or the big yellow bar that goes across the steering wheel type. Personally I'm thinking the steering wheel type draws less attention to the unattended van than the very visible wheel clamp type but would welcome your input and experiences. Anybody think it's unnecessary? We will mainly be using the van in Europe starting in February in France, Spain and Portugal but want to also do the Balkans and further east. Any recommendations welcome.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I own both, I've never used either when actually travelling, but then I'd never leave the van where I thought it might be nicked. That said, you often see people who wheel clamp their vans once they are on a site. I wouldn't take either on a tour but if I had to choose one I'd probably choose the steering wheel protection, it's easier to put on so more likely that I would bother. Enjoy that trip, sounds exciting (y)

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Steering wheel clamp would be my choice. A wheel lock can get very dirty and a bit messy to handle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Own both plus a clutch claw. As Jim we never use any when touring it’s not about the van being stolen when touring abroad as being broken into and possessions taken. So we are careful where we park and tend to use sites.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
or use a quality chain and padlock around steering wheel and seat frame,
especially if the seat swivels, but if you are touring you will be spending a lot of time with the vehicle so having it stolen is remote IMO

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You don't say what van you have, I thought Ducato's were very hard to steal without a key, different story if it's a Transit. I would be more worried about someone breaking in to seal your belongings. A good alarm with a very loud internal sounder would be a better investment. I know a lot of people ignor alarms going off, thats why you need a loud internal sounder to make it unbearable for anyone inside the van.

Upvote 0

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
I use both.
The wheel clamp goes on as soon as I arrive at my destination (I use latex gloves as it can get dirty but I carry a box of them for emptying the loo cassette anyway). The steering bar goes on next. I think the more visible, the better the deterrent.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Andyrpm

Free Member
Aug 11, 2017
Funster No
Thank you Lenny HB, it is indeed a 2013 Ducato. If you're correct about them being hard to steal your advice regarding an alarm makes much more sense. Is there anybody out there who have had their Ducato stollen or have an alarm fitted they would recommend?

Upvote 0
May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
As well as the factory fitted system I put the steering wheel bar lock on no matter where I am parked as a very visible deterrent to the opportunist thief coupled with the red warning lights from Strikback. Hopefully they will move on seeking an easier target?
I also loop a steel hauser between the two front doors when parked up at home.
Beyond that there is little more one can do if faced with a very determined van thief.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As well as the factory fitted system I put the steering wheel bar lock on no matter where I am parked as a very visible deterrent to the opportunist thief coupled with the red warning lights from Strikback. Hopefully they will move on seeking an easier target?
I also loop a steel hauser between the two front doors when parked up at home.
Beyond that there is little more one can do if faced with a very determined van thief.
I put mine on every time I stop , even to go in the bakery.+ isolation of pump & alarm. Doesn't take a second to put on /remove.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Disklok every time for me. :xsmile:

My trusty yellow Disklok is now on its 5th successive vehicle and so far no scrote has attacked it nor tried to steal the vehicles.
Hi there.. is it a fiat based truck you have and if so..how old? Looking at upgrading our steering lock?
Regards Kev

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Hi there.. is it a fiat based truck you have and if so..how old? Looking at upgrading our steering lock?
Regards Kev

Yes, now a 2017 Fiat X290 PVC. There are different sizes of Disklok and I think mine is the smaller one.

Just checked - I bought it in 1997 so the Disklok is more than 20 years old! :xThumb:

Upvote 0

JaveaSteve

Free Member
Nov 8, 2017
Javea, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium T70GE
Andyrpm, like you a newbie to Motorhoming, in fact do not get Motorhome until January 5th, however have already bought Thule cab door locks, a Disklok, a Clutch claw, have appointment at Vanblitz in March and having exterior door locks fitted prior to collection.
Some may feel that's a bit over the top but I really do not want to come back and find a vacant space where MH was left.
What I do not understand are those that said, " Never leave MH long enough" perhaps my version of travelling to different places and then walking/cycling into town, along coast, snorkelling, seeing the sites, getting to the top of the mountain etc is different to theirs.........
My first long trek is to the UK and I will be using all these items for not only peace of mind every time I leave the MH unattended, after all they are a one off purchase that can be used over and over and are a lot cheaper than booking into a hotel, taxis and flights home........ Go for it.

Upvote 0

Astro

Free Member
Jul 17, 2016
North Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago I143
Exp
I'm keeping that. It'll be handy even if I never use it.
Disklok for me too . Takes 10 seconds max to fit or take off, so easy there's no excuse not to use it every time the van is parked up no matter for how long.
It's a visible deterrent that will hopefully convince most scrots to go elsewhere.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Rather than fitting either the cross bar or wheel lock I depend on Strikeback and as shown, a lock through the seat base with the seat facing backwards. (I drilled the hole myself)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back