Staying in Europe longer than 90 days without a visa (1 Viewer)

Originalsmoothie

Free Member
Jun 15, 2016
Southam
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
Exp
I'm a newbie
My American wife Cynthia thinks she may have found a solution to staying in the Schengan group of countries for longer than 90 days. Here's what she's found on a French consulate website...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

American family members of european passport holders

Please note that you do not need any visa to enter and live in France for longer than 3 months if :

puce-32883.gif
you hold a valid U.S. passport

puce-32883.gif
and you are the legal spouse (marriage certificate) or child (under 18y.o.) of a citizen of the above listed countries

puce-32883.gif
and you are accompanying your spouse / parent who is also moving to France.

However, you will have to apply for the residence permit ("carte de séjour pour membre de famille d’un ressortissant européen") within 2 months of entry into France, at the Préfecture of city of residence. Note that it is always advisable to contact the Préfecture BEFORE leaving the U.S., in order to get a complete list of documents to provide to apply for such permit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am concerned about the final paragraph. How do motorhome owners deal with this as they are not in a full time residence? Any ideas?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I don't think the problem is travelling around the Schengen countries, I don't think anyone is too bothered. The paragraphs you quote seem to be about living in France, not touring/visiting.

The problem will be when she eventually leaves Europe and her passport is scanned at the airport. If she arrived in the UK and leaves from there then the system will know at once if she has overstayed. But does that also work if she leaves from France having arrived in Europe in another country? Do their passport scanning machines talk to each other? I don't know.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Think she shuld be OK leaving from another European country's.
That can't stop IS how thay going to stop us from moving around.
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Originalsmoothie

Originalsmoothie

Free Member
Jun 15, 2016
Southam
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm assuming that the checks are done at the point of exit so I don't want her to overstay her allowed time. American passport holders appear to be legally allowed to stay as long as they like providing that they are married to a UK passport holder. The point I want to clarify is how we deal with the fact that we don't have a fixed address which we can register as per their final paragraph in my first post.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I think it's the last point "accompanying your spouse......who is moving to France"
British ex-pats used to have to apply for the Carte de Sejour before all the EU regs made it redundant. It acted as an I.D card once you had it, as all French nationals carry I.D cards.
Once you have the Carte de Sejour, you've given an address that would be where you're renting/ buying/ bought/ staying with relatives. You'd also be in the system to complete tax returns once you're there for 180 days.

I think checking with French Consulate is your best bet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back