Staycations, Local Knowledge, Horses Mouth (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If u can stop the usual wandering off topic it would be useful.
I usually spend ages 'searching' through old posts if going to a new area.

Looking at the responses and ideas so far it could end up as and a lengthy rather indigestible thread
It won't be a forum thread, it will be a dedicated section. maybe map based, not sure yet, Obviously we will be able to discuss others entries or add to them (y)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Looking at the responses and ideas so far it could end up as and a lengthy rather indigestible thread where information gets dated and not so valuable. Maybe some way to focus it more would help? I can see posts stimulating discussions about the price of fish and other matters - which might not be what you want.

I had similar thoughts about its size, accessability and currency.

Geoff

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I had similar thoughts about its size, accessability and currency.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
If you were on the "town" based info, what would you want to know if you were new to the area ?

Where to get cheap diesel ?

Where to park ?

Best pubs, with or without stopover perhaps ?

Local attractions ?

Local restaurants ?

Local events ?

Location of tourist info ?

Public transport links ?

Maybe Jim could do a check list ?

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Nearest bus stop and the name of the operator.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Good idea but sadly very few posters in my experience will contribute.

Jul 10, 2020
North East England
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tribute
Exp
Think it would be great especially for newbies like us, and yes I would be happy to contribute with my very limited (at the moment) knowledge of my local area's sites/and places visited.

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Jim Having been a member of Searchforsites since inception and an app user since the day of release the one issue that continues to be a problem is just how to keep the info up to date. Ian does a great job himself by spending weeks at a time touring Europe keeping info up to date (what a hardship!) but here in the uk there are so many entries not correct.
It’s easy for members to update sites info but so many don’t even when they leave reviews!
When the reliance is upon locals to update there may be more inclination but sometimes it’s the recognition of what others may think is good that can be hard!

Reactions: Jim
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I get very annoyed with people whose reviews say "weather was lovely".
Slightly less annoying is "large pitches" or "crappy toilets" (that's a pun, by the way).
I love the price of "cheap food" but not necessarily it's taste.

Keeping things factual, perhaps including the date at which things were quoted, might be worth while?

One thing which I regularly recommend is "annual membership tickets": for example a Norfolk Annual Musuem Pass costs £38 for over 65s and allows admission to 10 museums, some of which cost over £12 just for one day. I'm sure there are similar schemes in other places.
In March we made use of Dorset Winter Parking(?) which allowed 24h for £2.50 (from memory) on any of the council carparks.
Can they be included please?

Gordon

Reactions: Jim

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Maybe a form to complete, with the date you fill it in & various sections like specific town/village, then places to park, lpg, supermarkets etc? Also a section called “other” where bits like the museum ticket thing, or good deals could go? If it had the date on folk could use their own judgement as to how old, & you could go back & edit your form if you remembered! Probably places like London would have more than one form to read, but Cromford would only have mine!

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I think it’s a brilliant idea, by the way! Particularly since we will no doubt be touring the Uk far more than usual in the near future!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I ve wondered about this before and the possibility of the information going outside

I thought that if there was a map that could be updated, that we can access the information from "Subscribers only" area, could be held within the pinpoint that we were allowed to add (just like google maps) and then it could be colour coded for aires, beautiful towns, cycle routes ( I appreciate that the information is only as good as the person with least skills entering it) but if anyone was allowed to adjust it (perhaps a maximum of 5 a day to negate sabotage from someone in Coventry) we could then add aires stellplatzes in foreign countries as well etc.

I was thinking of how to do this for the current Germany/Austria thread but i don t have the knowledge to have multiple inputters on a google map system. If somebody does know (and wants to give instructions) I could do a guinea pig run with it to try with people on that thread

Just my twopenny worth

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Most large sites have an information room with what to see or do in the area. A lot of it is miles away and involves driving. It's whether to walk left or right out of the gates to see things that I want to know. Also if it's safe to walk/cycle on the local roads.

So agree with you - people say ‘it’s not far to the bus stop, beach, pub etc. - I need to know how far.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
We can comment on north Norfolk and wheel chair rambles. We have, near us, 2 long distance cycle paths, 3 NT properties and lots of camp sites all within 12 miles drive or even closer.

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
I typed this, this morning but didn't post it as I am a negative bugger sometimes and didin't want to spoil a good thing that would benefit all right minded people who love what we all do.

If it were all compiled and put into a booklet that was updated every so often and charged for, as in the pre digital era it would be a wonderfull organic resource for discovery and excited planning. Once its just a click away it's lost the magic. But thats the way it is nowadays isn't it, instant , no foreplay so to speak.
Maps on the floor, compass, travel books, bums in the air, sweets and grandads bs tales of secret places and stuff... the spice of life.

If Jim can get some of that atmosphere into the mix it would be nice.

But I don't think thats possible so it may become just another sterile phone experience with it all done for you and would make this kind of opportunist grief unstoppable, because its all simply out there.

We ain't the only group on the lookout and I think however well intentioned, it may prove to be a mistake, on a lot of levels to highlight and compile a resource about anything nice. I think that everything eventually being out there on social media will be the undoing of so much we hold dear.

Am I just a miserable, negative old sod, or do I have a valid point?. I don't know anymore :(

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
OK so we've built this. Its a work in progress but there is nothing stopping you to start uploading stuff from your area. Look at the categories below for inspiration.

It's easy to do, its just like making a post. But you need to choose a country and and a category first then hit the Orange Add Button on thetop right

1616142597858.png

1616142502805.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back