Staycations, Local Knowledge, Horses Mouth (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As you can see from the thread heading I'm not sure what to call it yet... But I want to build a definitive database of your local area. This information would be seen by subscribing funsters only. Initially it will be UK based but I might spread it wider, we'll see.

Essentially we will have every county of the UK as different categories. Into that county you will be able to add your local knowledge. You will be able to enter, text, photos, map locations etc.

So if you live in Yorkshire, you will click on on Yorkshire and be able to add your local knowledge. You will be able to add things in sub categories like

Campsites
Parking
Places to eat

Etc

So if a Funster is going to Cornwall say, looking here she will have lots of info about where to go, what to see, best places to eat etc. all of it supplied and updated by locals.

So, do you think it is a good idea?
What sub categories should we have under each county?
Would you be prepared to contribute?

Cheers

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
I think it is a great idea. We would be interested in areas for cycling as well.

We could certainly contribute on that front for France and Northern Spain.

Abandoned our planned cycling trips abroad this year so heading south in September from the frozen north hoping for slightly warmer and sunny weather!

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Love the idea...could add weighbridges, if any - as we have found them to be few n far between....and if on route and there is one that would save sep. journey .
Tricky roads alert might also be helpful... and a guide of how to download maps might also be helpful ❤️❤️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
We sort of do this in a very informal way already but it's difficult to find the information a while later when we need it.

So to have a fixed place for this sort of info is a great idea.

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
Campsites
Parking
Places to eat
Etc
Looking at the responses and ideas so far it could end up as and a lengthy rather indigestible thread where information gets dated and not so valuable. Maybe some way to focus it more would help? I can see posts stimulating discussions about the price of fish and other matters - which might not be what you want.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Water taps, including those where they charge a few shillings
Waste disposal
Public Toilets
Disabled Toilets
Any toilets
More Toilets

What we need, because you have nothing else to do, is a google map with it all on. Click on a marked spot and up it all pops. You could do an App as well to keep on our phones, tablets etc whilst travelling. And, as you say, subscribers only. There that'll keep you occupied.

:gum:

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Water taps, including those where they charge a few shillings
Waste disposal
Public Toilets
Disabled Toilets
Any toilets
More Toilets

What we need, because you have nothing else to do, is a google map with it all on. Click on a marked spot and up it all pops. You could do an App as well to keep on our phones, tablets etc whilst travelling. And, as you say, subscribers only. There that'll keep you occupied.

:gum:

And Jim will need an assistant!

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Good idea, but ......

Campsites.
Typically locals don't know anything about campsites within 10 miles of where they live as they never go there!

Using your example, you would be better off asking Londoners about Cornish campsites, as they are the ones that use them.
I've yet to meet a Cornish person camping on a Cornish campsite.

To a smaller degree the same applies to many local attractions. When did you last go to your local castle, museum, fun fair, etc.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Agree that this is a fantastic idea!! If you go ahead with this, please add Poland to the list! I know it's not as popular as other European countries but would love to share some of the great places I have been to with other Funsters.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
On the face of it a great idea. I would contribute to it relative to my county, Suffolk. It would be interesting to see how places like London and other bid cities fare.
Suffolk is the duel in the crown of the south east, would you want hoards more caravans setting up home on your pleasant homeland. Mum's the word. :unsure:

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Great idea. Yes, I will contribute for Northumberland. 👍

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Much of the general info is already available on a multitude of searchable websites e.g. overnight/wild parking, pub stops, LPG garages. To be of any practical benefit the Fun version will need to be regularly updated by the OP or by visiting Funsters when height barriers appear at car parks, overnighting banned, anti-Traveller trenches dug, cafes or restos close or deteriorate, or when LPG pumps have been removed etc.

Last edited:

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
Great idea, we regularly see posts asking for advice about various areas people are visiting/passing through and I have spent quite a lot of time searching for old posts that I thought may have given details on a good spot to stop etc and never finding it again, so having some sort of regional database, based on actual members knowledge, would be brilliant.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Good idea, but ......

Campsites.
Typically locals don't know anything about campsites within 10 miles of where they live as they never go there!

Using your example, you would be better off asking Londoners about Cornish campsites, as they are the ones that use them.
I've yet to meet a Cornish person camping on a Cornish campsite.

To a smaller degree the same applies to many local attractions. When did you last go to your local castle, museum, fun fair, etc.
But we are more likely to know about pubs, farm shops, car parks etc where over-nighting is allowed, for a casual stop-over.
I can think of 3 straight away, around Bury St. Edmunds.
This is what i believe we, as motor-Homers need, as we tend to tour, stopping at different places each night instead of setting up on a camp site for a week or so.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I would suggest that you have it as say a County and within that County all info that people can put on about their own town.

For instance, Northumberland, we'd say go to Seahouses, there is a high cost but great campsite with everything called Seafield, but right next door is a ccc site, take your choice.

But for our own town we could say which is the easiest supermarket to get your van into, same with pubs and places you should see and can get to either walking or via public transport.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
If u can stop the usual wandering off topic it would be useful.
I usually spend ages 'searching' through old posts if going to a new area.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back