Status Omni Directional Aerial (1 Viewer)

Burstnerite

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Overcab Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
I've just tried tuning a tv against a Status Omni Directional Aerial for the first time. Absolutely finding nothing. At the risk of stirring up an old hornet's nest - are these any good in the digital age OR are the modern electronic desk top jobs simpler and more effective ? I see Go Outdoors sell a Falcon job getting many good reviews and am tempted.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Got to point it at a transmitter- DTV app. On your phone. Make sure the amplifier is turned on. T
Mines perfect.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We've got an avtex omni directional whip aerial and nearly always get all the channels, but in Newquay the other week it failed us until I turned the van round, was ok again after that. Will be interesting to see the replies ?

?Edit: it's not omnidirectional then is it ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Make sure you are not in a very poor TV reception area. Ensure you have power to and switched on the amplifier that connects the aerial to the TV. Ensure the TV is plugged into said amp and lead in good condition. Raise aerial up as far as you can. Try a re-tune on TV, then come back and let us know;)

OP
OP
Burstnerite

Burstnerite

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Overcab Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Thanks for all your thoughts. All connected up ok and the amplifier on. Can't turn the aerial as it's the omnidirectional type.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Check if the Booster box thing is Digital or only analogue. Kind previous owner gave me his unfitted digital box and I plumbed that in. Usually get some channels no matter wherever we have stopped so far.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I fitted one of these as a lot of the canal and boat living people use them and I thought if the boats are lower than us and quite often near trees and such and they still get a signal then it's worth a punt and I have found it to be a great bit of kit.

1568813305064.png

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
They are generally thought of as rubbish. We had one and if in good line of sight to a trasmitter it did work, but the rotating one I replaced it with was in a different league.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
They are generally thought of as rubbish. We had one and if in good line of sight to a trasmitter it did work, but the rotating one I replaced it with was in a different league.

The problem we have is no space under the aerial for the tube work of the directional aerials and nowhere else to mount a directional aerial without a load of faf running in cables to it.

The times we have used the Ballade Supergain we usually get around 100 tv and 20 odd radio channels so more than enough crap to watch.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
One thing to be aware of with the Ballade. We have the Supergain Nomade aerial on our van. When it's good, it's very good, but sometimes I can get nothing at all and in those circumstances I often find the channels with an Avtex STH4000 that I carry as a backup.

It was pointed out to me the other day that the Nomade, although advertised as multidirectional, is only horizontally polarised, which I understand is the norm in much of the rest of the world, but in the UK many of our transmitters are vertically polarised and it is the signal from these that the Nomade won't receive.

Just had a look at the specs of the Ballade and it is also only a horizontally polarised aerial, so probably better described as horizontally multidirectional but vertically challenged!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
One thing to be aware of with the Ballade. We have the Supergain Nomade aerial on our van. When it's good, it's very good, but sometimes I can get nothing at all and in those circumstances I often find the channels with an Avtex STH4000 that I carry as a backup.

It was pointed out to me the other day that the Nomade, although advertised as multidirectional, is only horizontally polarised, which I understand is the norm in much of the rest of the world, but in the UK many of our transmitters are vertically polarised and it is the signal from these that the Nomade won't receive.

Just had a look at the specs of the Ballade and it is also only a horizontally polarised aerial, so probably better described as horizontally multidirectional but vertically challenged!
Turn it on its side..... Or is it roof mounted?

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Read below...this one failed??

Works every time in poor areas too!

kev

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjfoOPCgIPlAhUGsO0KHYo6AwoYABAYGgJkZw&sig=AOD64_0eooMJRzVe2Hc6ea9hy-VlFrOqSg&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwifpN3CgIPlAhXJN8AKHcq6DIsQ9aACCKkC&adurl=

Try this...It works really well on our friends narrow boat too!

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Turn it on its side..... Or is it roof mounted?

'Fraid so. I didn't choose it, it's just what came fitted to the van. I'd always assumed it was the usual omnidirectional type aerial though. It was only recently that I found out many of the Supergain aerials are only horizontally polarised (and designed for static mounting in that orientation) so I thought it worth mentioning.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Had a few issues at Dealerships. Every time the co-axial cable is cut the gain { signal } drops.
eg, A 12V socket with an aerial in { at the back } and out at the front. If You ignore the TV aerial socket and just connect the co-axial cable from the booster straight to your TV without going in and out of the TV socket your signal will greatly improve.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Took a punt on one of these this year. A lot easier than bolting the sat dish to the roof It’s a tiny 6” stubby aerial from amazon.
It’s got a magnetic base sticks to the van roof like the proverbial to a shovel. Doesn’t budge even while driving as we’ve found out many a time fit and keep forgetting oops.

Sniper Automotive Portable Digital TV Roof Aerial, Magnetic Mount DVB-T Aerial for Motorhome Caravan Boat Car Freeview and DAB Antenna Amazon product ASIN B00ZXPE1DY

Attachments

• 1570229497515.png
    1570229497515.png
    465 KB · Views: 18
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The omnidirectional one was very poor. We now have a directional one which includes a signal amplifier and a signal strength indicator. We can pick up plenty of channels in Uk and Europe 95% of the time. Occasionally if you are in a hollow or surrounded by trees or buildings we have problems, but then we get the books out.

OP
OP
Burstnerite

Burstnerite

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Overcab Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Thanks for all the help. Should be going away next week, so will give the current setup another whirl then decide.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
If it’s the ufo type they need to be perfectly level to work properly.
I tried to take our old one apart to see if the cable had come away inside but gave up before the grinder came out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back