mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We are booked on the ferry from Poole to St Helier on 26th May.. I have booked with the 3.1m height limit because I know my van is just over 2.7m high..

When we were in the new forest for the weekend, I suddenly realised I don't know how tall my aerial is.. it is a status aerial and omnidirectional so I assume either the 330 or an older model however the status web site lists it as being 28cm tall (meaning I will be fine for height getting on the ferry) but really and truly it looks taller than that.

Now I am not one for mucking about so I figure I will just go for it and deal with it when I get there if the aerial fouls on the height barrier which I assume there will be at the entrance..

but if it does foul.. how will I get up there and get it down :(

so does anybody know the height of this potentially unknown model? DOes anybody know if older models of status omnidirectional aerial are the same height as newer models and lastly if the older models have the removable spike like newer ones..

oh and any ideas about getting on the roof at the port if I do need to whip it off at the last minute?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I don't remember height barriers being there, the height issue is more likely about where they park you on the Seacat as some areas on the car deck are quite low.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Given you have booked as being 3.1 metres I doubt very much head room for your designated birth will be less than 3.5 to 4 metres MJ, and most probably far more than that !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Critical height is usually on a ferry with moveable decks. Sometimes they can be set very close to the height of your van.

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I don't remember height barriers being there, the height issue is more likely about where they park you on the Seacat as some areas on the car deck are quite low.

Given you have booked as being 3.1 metres I doubt very much head room for your designated birth will be less than 3.5 to 4 metres MJ, and most probably far more than that !

thanks both..

sounds like I will be fine getting on the boat and probably fine when I get on the boat but the first I will know about it either way is when I drive off and the aerial is hanging over the side of the van.. :D:D:D:D:D:D

might phrase that differently when I break the news to Ms Tiggs :D:D:D:D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Out of the goodness of my heart (actually I needed my jack) I just went to my garage and measured an old one I have there.

Without the spike but including the threaded stub....18cm....Without the threaded stub ....17.5cm.
Add 100mm for the spike....28cm base to tip.

Easy to remove.
A small Allen screw in the base acts as a pinch screw...slacked then gently twist upwards leaving the mounting foot on the roof.
The cable can't be released so the saucer would need to rest on the roof

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
My Buccaneer Caravel is about a foot less than the sales brochure and the converters handbook states it to be.I measured it last year!it could have settled on the springs but not that much.So ever with the status it was still below what it should be!!

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Out of the goodness of my heart (actually I needed my jack) I just went to my garage and measured an old one I have there.

Without the spike but including the threaded stub....18cm....Without the threaded stub ....17.5cm.
Add 100mm for the spike....28cm base to tip.

Easy to remove.
A small Allen screw in the base acts as a pinch screw...slacked then gently twist upwards leaving the mounting foot on the roof.
The cable can't be released so the saucer would need to rest on the roof
Pappajohn I am in your debt to the tune of a ladder and the extra payload to carry it.. Thank you (only joking about the payload ... I can't magic that up)...

Mind you, I was toying with the idea of roof mounting a ladder.... But then I realised I wouldn't be able to get it down :(

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Pappajohn I am in your debt to the tune of a ladder and the extra payload to carry it.. Thank you (only joking about the payload ... I can't magic that up)...

Mind you, I was toying with the idea of roof mounting a ladder.... But then I realised I wouldn't be able to get it down :(

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Of course you can carry a ladder.....use a loft ladder bolted to the roof then just hook it down when you need it, only needs a pole with a hook.. :LOL:

loft-ladder-pull.jpg

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Of course you can carry a ladder.....use a loft ladder bolted to the roof then just hook it down when you need it, only needs a pole with a hook.. :LOL:

View attachment 105265
I actually think thus is a good idea.. Could fit a sundeck :D

No panic, I've done the trip quite often, you won't have a problem
Thanks Terry/Jan

What are the 'must sees'

Bearing in mind we will have 9 week old pup with us so trips out will need to be limited to a couple of hours :D

Terry and Jan

Free Member
Feb 25, 2014
Saltash,Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Obviously underground hospital, although you may need more than a couple of hours, we go because our daughter and grandchildren live on the island, we stay at Bauvalade site, very good. Toilets and showers good, small bar and restaurant on site and shop. Lovely people own it will help you anytime.

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
You will have no problems with height of van, the only height problems that the new boat Condor purchased and are now using on this route are the waves! Wave height restriction of 3.5 metres. We in Jersey can not believe they bought this boat - useless to us in winter months, got cancelled loads but you should be fine. Don't know which site you staying on but be prepared for lots of narrow lanes but all useable in panel van conversion. Lots of lovely dog walks here and later I will post good places for walks with car parks suitable to park van. Best beaches to be able to park van are Grouville in east of island and my favourite St Ouens five mile beach in west on Atlantic Ocean. St Ouens is in conservation area so vey natural area and not only beautiful beach but lovely bay with no high rise buildings, just miles of green, sand dunes, ponds and good bird life and wild flowers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back