Status 530 - Leaking (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We've just returned from a week in the highlands, it rained, a lot. I discovered water dripping from the crank arm of the Status aerial in the wardrobe, not a lot but enough to soak a shirt that was hanging there. The water appeared to be coming down the inside of the aerial tube, not from the seal round the outside.
The aerial is now 11 years old and still functions perfectly though I do not want any more water in the wardrobe. Has anyone else experienced this and did they find a fix?
If not repairable I reckon a new aerial is required but thought it worth asking first. TIA

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I can't really see where water can be getting in. There's a triple O ring on the mast head and will never be disturbed.

Maybe wrap some tissue around the lower mast to make sure it isn't running don't the outside and onto the winder.
Nothing to lose.

Screenshot_20191015_185124_com.android.chrome.jpg

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Could it be condensation forming on it, we’ve noticed how the pole gets very cold because the other end of it is outside. If you had heating in the van and it’s been cold, this could be the answer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Maybe wrap some tissue around the lower mast to make sure it isn't running don't the outside and onto the winder.
Nothing to lose.
I'll try that, just need to get some rain, though it did very much look like it was running down the inside

Could it be condensation forming on it, we’ve noticed how the pole gets very cold because the other end of it is outside. If you had heating in the van and it’s been cold, this could be the answer.
Not condensation, we've been in far more extremes of temperature and never had a problem.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Having seen the pic / reply off pappajohn plus this video.
May be worth checking the o rings, then the casing of the aerial which could be cracked and just need some sealant / tape / sticky stuff to stop water getting inside... Worth a try. (y)

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Unfortunately it's probably the casing for the antenna has developed a leak, we had a similar problem, I did manage to reseal the casing joint to stop the leak but found a lot of corrosion on the electrics in the antenna and eventually renewed it.
Cheers
Ed
EDIT Beat me to it Steve tonka

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
If the water appears to be coming down the inside of the aerial tube you may be suffering from worn or damaged O rings because some type of sealing must have been in place to stop this happening when new. O ring kits are cheap to buy on the internet.

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
When I trial fitted our new one I just assembled it for 10mins, when I took it apart again to go back in the box 2 of the 3 O rings had snapped!

Rang status and new ones were sent out. So would be worth at least checking yours.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
On our old mh we had a leak it only happened when I parked the aeriel the wrong way round and drove through heavy rain was it parked the right way round ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think at 11 years old it may well be as in the video now I've watched it.
Surface seals like between the two half's don't last forever as they are exposed to all weather's.

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
On our old mh we had a leak it only happened when I parked the aeriel the wrong way round and drove through heavy rain was it parked the right way round ?
We were parked up with the aerial in use. I think at 11 years old it is probably life expired. If it's not raining tomorrow I'll take it down and have a look but I'm not filled with hope.
We use the van a lot, all year round and other stuff is wearing out as well. TV bracket droops to one side because of wear, toilet cassette needs another set seals, kitchen tap needs fixed, etc.
Thanks for everyone's help and advice, cheers.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We were parked up with the aerial in use. I think at 11 years old it is probably life expired. If it's not raining tomorrow I'll take it down and have a look but I'm not filled with hope.
We use the van a lot, all year round and other stuff is wearing out as well. TV bracket droops to one side because of wear, toilet cassette needs another set seals, kitchen tap needs fixed, etc.
Thanks for everyone's help and advice, cheers.
You'll be able to check any repairs you undertake week after next as it'll be chucking it down!(y)We're gonna be around and about there!:(
And as for "droops to one side because of wear", stop using it so much!:rolleyes:

Edit : ooooooops just noticed "TV bracket"!:whistle::whistle:

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Outcome:- Ordered a new Status 570 aerial and fitted it today. Stripped the old aerial to find all three 'O' rings flattened, much as I expected, and evidence of water ingress in the tube. On stripping the old aerial it was on it's way out, bit of rust on some components. New aerial is superior to old, outside my house I generally get 90-92% quality and 90% strength, new aerial gives 99% quality and 91% strength. At 11 years old it was past it.

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Well past it? Better check your 'O' rings or whatever.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back