Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Quackery and scaremongering.
@Mack100, as I said at the beginning of my post, "I did quite a lot of research last year with regards to statins and, in an attempt to help others, would like to share my findings". Whether you choose to believe or not believe it is your choice. I have no wish to get into an argument.
@Rob and Val could I just ask what your medical background is? Thanks.
@Nirvanauk, I do not have a medical background but have in the past worked as a researcher.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
@Rob and Val , likewise I have no wish to enter into an argument with you:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Well who'd have thunk it

Statins really do cause painful muscle cramps, scientists have found, vindicating hundreds of thousands of people who have repeatedly claimed to have suffered debilitating side-effects.

Researchers say that alternative treatments are just as effective...

...Nearly 43 per cent of people taking atorvastatin over 10 weeks suffered side-effects compared to 26 per cent of those on dummy pills, a 61 per cent increased risk.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/04/03/statins-do-cause-muscle-pain-scientists-conclude/

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Statins do more harm than good and people would be better of eating an apple-a-day to prevent heart attacks and strokes, health experts have argued.

In a debate in the BMC Medicine Journal, consultant cardiologist Dr Aseem Malhotra and Professor Simon Capewell of Liverpool University argue that the cholesterol-busting drugs bring debilitating side effects while having little impact on health for most people.

They claim that industry sponsored studies do not back up real-world data which shows up to half patients give up taking statins within a year and 62 per cent of those say it was because of muscle pain and fatigue.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/hea...-improve-heart-health-say-health-experts.html

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Statins do more harm than good and people would be better of eating an apple-a-day to prevent heart attacks and strokes, health experts have argued.

In a debate in the BMC Medicine Journal, consultant cardiologist Dr Aseem Malhotra and Professor Simon Capewell of Liverpool University argue that the cholesterol-busting drugs bring debilitating side effects while having little impact on health for most people.

They claim that industry sponsored studies do not back up real-world data which shows up to half patients give up taking statins within a year and 62 per cent of those say it was because of muscle pain and fatigue.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/hea...-improve-heart-health-say-health-experts.html
Neither of these are evidence I seem to remember similar experts who linked MMR and autism for years. The views are part of a debate in a magazine what were the opposing views !. If their views become evidence based fact with repeated studies and are accepted by NICE fine but at the moment they are hearsay like gassing. The end of the article says between 20 and 50000 deaths a year are thought to be preventable if all those recommended to take statins did so .....muscle cramps or death....not that hard a decision.

Last edited:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Im reading of a new alternative to Statins in the paper this morning. Repatha is said to be the answer for those who experience muscle pains. It costs £170 per fortnightly dose taken via a pen injection, equating to £4450 per year. The paper says Statins cost £20 per year. Wonder if NICE will endorse Repatha???:rolleyes:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Neither of these are evidence I seem to remember similar experts who linked MMR and autism for years. The views are part of a debate in a magazine what were the opposing views !. If their views become evidence based fact with repeated studies and are accepted by NICE fine but at the moment they are hearsay like gassing. The end of the article says between 20 and 50000 deaths a year are thought to be preventable if all those recommended to take statins did so .....muscle cramps or death....not that hard a decision.

True, you can only take any information on board and make your own decision based on that.
The first link I posted gives a link to the clinical trial:
Broken Link Removed

My mother chose to take a life-IMPROVING drug which was known to SHORTEN lives (till they took it off the market). She opted for quality over quantity. Many people do.

It's a very personal choice.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
But the point I was making is that these articles are exactly like the scare stories about MMR the fact some people believe them makes them potentially dangerous

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
But the point I was making is that these articles are exactly like the scare stories about MMR the fact some people believe them makes them potentially dangerous
That is a good point, and most of us are stuck somewhere between "clean-earth" campaigners and Big Pharma. There have been proven "rights" on both sides.
But in this case specifically, in addition to the propaganda from both sets of interests, there's a whole heap of anecdotal evidence. Some people choose to believe anecdotal evidence, some don't (hence the clinical trials before and after licencing); and some choose to act on that evidence while others discount it's being "evidence" at all.
In a world where we no longer trust experts, we are left floundering and having to make decisions based on a mass of conflicting information.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I just find it strange we live in a world where on average we live longer healthier lives than ever before and some people hark back to the good old days when medicine was less proven and more trial and error. The anecdotal evidence is as reliable as anecdotal evidence of gassing. To my mind the government have no interest in spending money on inefective expensive drugs if they have set up a body of experts to deal with looking at risks/costs and benefits and they say its a good idea to take statins if it were recommended to me I'd take it. The NICE evidence is not big pharma or clean earth so thats what I'd go for.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I just find it strange we live in a world where on average we live longer healthier lives than ever before and some people hark back to the good old days when medicine was less proven and more trial and error. The anecdotal evidence is as reliable as anecdotal evidence of gassing. To my mind the government have no interest in spending money on inefective expensive drugs if they have set up a body of experts to deal with looking at risks/costs and benefits and they say its a good idea to take statins if it were recommended to me I'd take it. The NICE evidence is not big pharma or clean earth so thats what I'd go for.
It's good that you've read around it, considered the evidence and made your decision. You're right, medicine and regulation have come a very long way in a very short time.
I would hesitate to discount the anecdotal evidence given in this thread; but maybe those affected were a small minority and if you are advised to take statins, hopefully you won't be so unlucky.
Even better, hopefully you'll never need cholesterol medication - Good health and happy travels! :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The following foods should be avoided: -

· White flour in any food

· White or processed sugars of any kind in any food

· White potatoes

· White rice

· Anything with corn syrup or high fructose corn syrup

· Nitrate-containing meats

· Anything containing MSG or hydrolysed protein

· Anything containing partially-hydrogenated oils

· Corn or corn products (most corn is now genetically modified)

· Soy or soy products (most soy is now genetically modified)

· Anything with ‘modified’ or ‘GMO’ on the label

· Artificial Sweeteners

· Artificial Preservatives

· Artificial Dyes

· Frozen Food except meat or fish

· Meats that have not been raised on certified organic farms

· Canola Oil, Vegetable Oils, Corn Oils

· Hydrogenated (or trans fat) oils of any kind

· Roasted Nuts

· Blue Cheese

· Alcohol in any amount of any description

· Recreational Drugs

· Off the shelf Snack Foods

· Fizzy Drinks
So.....you should grow two more stomachs and eat nothing but organic grass and distilled water.

How boring life would be.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Statins prescribed for raised collesterol triggered off Ginny's fairly rare Myotonia condition that had been lying reasonably dormant for most of her life. Her neurological consultant told her that a worrying number of his referrals are due to the side effects of statins.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Im reading of a new alternative to Statins in the paper this morning. Repatha is said to be the answer for those who experience muscle pains. It costs £170 per fortnightly dose taken via a pen injection, equating to £4450 per year. The paper says Statins cost £20 per year. Wonder if NICE will endorse Repatha???:rolleyes:
Probably not it also looks at whether the treatment cost is justified in terms of improvement in life expectancy or quality of life. In the old days individual GP's would decide whether a drug was worthhile in terms of costs/benefits but it was often though this was influenced by incentives supplied by drug company reps!!

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Statins prescribed for raised collesterol triggered off Ginny's fairly rare Myotonia condition that had been lying reasonably dormant for most of her life. Her neurological consultant told her that a worrying number of his referrals are due to the side effects of statins.
Again another reason not to use these dangerous drugs, I really hope you get well real soon Ginny, it took me over 6 months to get rid of the side affects of these drugs ,they are NOT good at ALL, the pharmaceutical company's are making to much profit from this drugs ,again it's a case of money before people ,and that's my oppinion and a person who was badly affected by this drug before my wife and myself started to investigate and the country's where they were made and it started to speak for it self the DANGERS of this drug,So for me it was a big no no,regards Alf.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
W
Again another reason not to use these dangerous drugs, I really hope you get well real soon Ginny, it took me over 6 months to get rid of the side affects of these drugs ,they are NOT good at ALL, the pharmaceutical company's are making to much profit from this drugs ,again it's a case of money before people ,and that's my oppinion and a person who was badly affected by this drug before my wife and myself started to investigate and the country's where they were made and it started to speak for it self the DANGERS of this drug,So for me it was a big no no,regards Alf.

Unfortunately, the damage is irreversible. What is particularly annoying is that her Myotonia symptoms were picked up and suspected over 15 years ago but the consultant at the time didn't follow it up. Had he of done, statins would never have been prescribed. GP's are all to quick to prescribe these so called miracle drugs!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back