OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
If you click on the blue text just under the picture of the book you will then see the relevant Amazon page. No, levels have not gone up and the reason that I stopped taking them - explained in the book - is that statins were not doing what they were supposed to.

Afraid I don't see a picture of a book or blue text apart from your signature. Can you say the name of the book please, I will look it up.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Disturbing, but how did your GP know which insurance company your protect policy was with and why did he/she contact them about your declining treatment, presumably without your permission.

Mortgage provider changed their prefered insurer and i got the letter through the post weeks after my last vist because effectivly a new policy is issued and permission is given automaticly to all life policy issuer granting access to your medical files. its a condition in all mortgage protection/life policies and its all in the small print
Upon death prior to any benefit pay out all such info will be sought by the insurers, possibly voiding any policies, due to un declared circumstances such as I have just outlined
exactly the same as travel insurances.
imagine having cover refused because your surgery uses such a description on your files,
I also in the past have declined to take part in a 5 min memory test at the surgery my record showed "Refused tests" it didnt say what tests??? they dont realise the implications of what they write
Scary stuff is big brother
G

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
I stopped taking statins over one year ago, because of the unhealthy side affects, I started on a strict diat and more exercise, my weight went to 85kgs and have stayed there,my colestral levels over this period are Bad colestral = 3.8 and good Colestral = 1.39,i have these test done every 6 months, so good exercise and a healthy life style = No more statins , just type statins into google and read how these drugs are so unhealthy, but it is your choice so good luck and I hope you can achieve a healthy colestral level, regards Alf.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I stopped taking statins over one year ago, because of the unhealthy side affects, I started on a strict diat and more exercise, my weight went to 85kgs and have stayed there,my colestral levels over this period are Bad colestral = 3.8 and good Colestral = 1.39,i have these test done every 6 months, so good exercise and a healthy life style = No more statins , just type statins into google and read how these drugs are so unhealthy, but it is your choice so good luck and I hope you can achieve a healthy colestral level, regards Alf.
Thanks I won't be taking statins because of side effects and diet and exercise alone won't lower my levels Na Sue's of the family thing, it's s gene that controls levels that doesn't work too well so it's the Ezetibe and fenofibrate for me.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Yes I have read about the family gene,so ezetibe looks as if the correct way to go,so take care and all very best for a bright future to you,regards Alf.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Sorry -this is a saga - but you asked!! LOL

I'll tell you where I started - years and years ago a new 'modern and up to date' Diabetes consultant (you know, an Endocrinologist!!! - not a Cardiologist - not that it makes all that much difference actually to this discussion - NB he's REALLY good at Diabetes and I am very grateful for that, which was what I was seeing him about anyway) said to me that although my Chol level was only 3.2, my LDL wasn't high, my Trigs were on the low side of normal and my HDL was normal, my blood pressure was on the low side of normal in all directions - that goining onto a low dose of both a statin and a BP drug was considered a nice cuddly protective thing for all Diabetics to do so he was suggesting I might like to take the drugs. I said Oh - OK then, if it's protective - I'd better, hadn't I! and went onto the lowest dose of Atorvastatin and Lisinopril within a week.

After a while I got the common ACE side effect of a terrible dry cough, so the ~pril was stopped and I started on 25mg Losartan (an ARB) instead. More time went by and a couple of years later the NHS decided Atorvastatin was FAR too expensive and it was swapped to Simvastatin. Round about this time, my memory demonstrated that it wasn't what it used to be, since I was forgetting to do things I'd agreed to do at work and also totally failing to remember daft things like my sister's address or my mate since 1957's birthday. Ooops. This got worse and worse over the next year and had got so bad I wasn't coping at work at all, was on a Final Warning, it was all getting on top of me, I'd developed paranoia and I had to admit defeat and had a complete mental breakdown. So I was obviously off work sick for a while and though it was a relief not having to face that criticism from morning to night (It was justified criticism actually, but when you don't know how to stop it happening, it becomes unbearable) I had no relaxation really since I couldn't concentrate on anything - reading, writing, watching TV, doing crosswords - I couldn't 'get' really stupid things like 'River that flows through Shropshire passing under a metal bridge' (7) S_V_ _N. 'Sabrina' was a favourite haunt of my parents, I lived in Kidderminster for 30 years, my sister lived all round Bewdley for that period and so did that mate I've had since we were seven.

I assumed I must be well on the way to Alzheimer's, right?

Of course my blood glucose control was shot and that terrified me as well. I could have a BG of 33.0 plus one minute - I'd have a correction of insulin like you are sposed to - and next minute it would read less than 1.8 - I can't tell you the ACTUAL numbers of course since meters don't tell you - they just read HI or LO - and that's what mine said every flipping time - multiple times daily. I often felt nauseous and so tired I literally fell over and slept. I didn't know then but of course 'all that' is a sign that you are on the verge of something called DKA which in common parlance is a diabetic coma - which if not blue lighted to A&E within about 10 minutes can result in either death, mental impairment or mega damage to some internal organs. Great!

None of these diabetes problems appeared until I started having memory problems - did they? Or was it the other way round? God knows but sod it - I'm going to Google 'diabetes' .......... some time later I found a D forum who truthfully, saved my life by explaining to me that the BG seesaw was 99.9% likely to be caused by - STRESS. OK - so the memory stuff caused the D stuff.

So - why have I still got this memory thing?

Off we went to my niece's wedding in Australia - sis and family moved to Oz in 1998. Been there about a fortnight, chatting to my sister one evening about nothing consequential after another relaxing and enjoyable day - and mid sentence, as I intended and actually started to say 'Well, what I think, Gill, is ....' just in that split second after I said 'think' - I FORGOT HER NAME. And so had to change it after the pause , to '.... if you ask me, is ....'

This is my ONLY sister; the one I'd had ALL my life as she was older than me. Her name was Gillian. I'd known her over 58 years at the time - though I would only probably remember the odd 55/56 years of that. Was I scared? - you bet your sweet bippy I was. Terrified by that.

Thought about it a lot. Came home after 3 weeks as planned, thought some more. Said to Pete - I JUST wonder you know - if my D isn't causing this, you don't suppose it could be either the statin or the ~sartan do you? cos that's what I'm wondering. He wouldn't have though so - well, neither would I !! BUT - just in case, cos I CAN - I've decided to try packing one of em up - I mean it's not like I've actually got hogh BP or high chol, is it? so I'll pack one of em in for a month and see how that goes, then if there's no improvement - I'll start that again and try packing the other one up for a month.

That night (took em both at night at the time) I sort of juggled he packets and the Simvastatin box was the winner (LOL) so I just took the Losartan only from then. About 10 days after, I sneakily thought I was seeing an improvement. After another 10 days - Pete started to notice there seemed to be an improvement - and it continued to improve. My diabetes had settled down too.

Then someone on my D forum posted a link to an article written by a GP in the UK who had diagnosed himself with early onset dementia/ Alzheimers because he's had exactly what I had, his partners at the practice agreed with his diagnosis and that he couldn't carry on as he was a risk to himself and his patients and they'd negotiated his early retirement 'package' with their pension provider - when he came across something that made him go - Hang on!! and stopped taking HIS the statin - and after a few month's rest, he was back at work and firing on all cylinders! I wish I could remember his flipping name - the article ISTR was in the Independent or the Telegraph - not a tabloid anyway.

Later I came across 'The Great Cholesterol Con' by Dr Malcolm Kendrick Amazon product ASIN 1844546101and other such blogs, articles, books - Dr Briffa, Zoe Harcombe and all sorts of other people saying the same thing.

That statins do NOT do what we were always told they would and did do.

They will NOT actually reduce the amount of placque anyone already has. They are not sure, one way or the other, whether they prevent any more forming or attaching. It is a FACT that we all need the 'good' LDL (it's what facilitates the mending of the neural sheaths in your brain and everywhere else, overnight - without it all your nervous system would perish and die, therefore so would you) and it's only VLDL - VERY low density lipids - we need to eliminate. There is no argument that they do not lower your LDL - cos they do and that is an absolute fact. But a) is that actually necessary? b) is it ALL the LDL or only the VLDL (I strongly suspect it's all of it - from my own experience!!) c) will this actually lower the risk of placque building up on your artery walls in the first place? Not every CVD is caused by 'hardening of the arteries' in the first place! - so to relate the effectiveness of a placque reducing drug to ALL CVD data is going to be misleading! and d) you know these common side effects (the main one they acknowledge is muscular damage) what the hell ELSE do they do that might put us off that you didn't bother to tell us about, bearing in mind you didn't even admit to THAT one, in the first pn though you KNEW about it from the Trials !!!

Please remember that doctors and nurses only know what they know either because they have been TOLD that is what happens and how it works - or they have seen 'it' do what it says on the tin for patients who they have personally treated. Usually both of those things. They have NOT actually experienced any of these conditions - or the treatments for them!! themselves. So in fact a lot of their 'wisdom' is only 'hearsay' LOL When it's more mechanical - like the Supervets operations, that's different cos you can actually physically demonstrate it! LOL

At the end of the day - only YOU can decide. All doctors can do - is advise - and they can only TELL you, what they have been told. And if the NHS says if you don't get X% of your patients over 40 on this drug you won't get paid/will get your arse kicked - they'll try it !

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Sorry -this is a saga - but you asked!! LOL

I'll tell you where I started - years and years ago a new 'modern and up to date' Diabetes consultant (you know, an Endocrinologist!!! - not a Cardiologist - not that it makes all that much difference actually to this discussion - NB he's REALLY good at Diabetes and I am very grateful for that, which was what I was seeing him about anyway) said to me that although my Chol level was only 3.2, my LDL wasn't high, my Trigs were on the low side of normal and my HDL was normal, my blood pressure was on the low side of normal in all directions - that goining onto a low dose of both a statin and a BP drug was considered a nice cuddly protective thing for all Diabetics to do so he was suggesting I might like to take the drugs. I said Oh - OK then, if it's protective - I'd better, hadn't I! and went onto the lowest dose of Atorvastatin and Lisinopril within a week.

After a while I got the common ACE side effect of a terrible dry cough, so the ~pril was stopped and I started on 25mg Losartan (an ARB) instead. More time went by and a couple of years later the NHS decided Atorvastatin was FAR too expensive and it was swapped to Simvastatin. Round about this time, my memory demonstrated that it wasn't what it used to be, since I was forgetting to do things I'd agreed to do at work and also totally failing to remember daft things like my sister's address or my mate since 1957's birthday. Ooops. This got worse and worse over the next year and had got so bad I wasn't coping at work at all, was on a Final Warning, it was all getting on top of me, I'd developed paranoia and I had to admit defeat and had a complete mental breakdown. So I was obviously off work sick for a while and though it was a relief not having to face that criticism from morning to night (It was justified criticism actually, but when you don't know how to stop it happening, it becomes unbearable) I had no relaxation really since I couldn't concentrate on anything - reading, writing, watching TV, doing crosswords - I couldn't 'get' really stupid things like 'River that flows through Shropshire passing under a metal bridge' (7) S_V_ _N. 'Sabrina' was a favourite haunt of my parents, I lived in Kidderminster for 30 years, my sister lived all round Bewdley for that period and so did that mate I've had since we were seven.

I assumed I must be well on the way to Alzheimer's, right?

Of course my blood glucose control was shot and that terrified me as well. I could have a BG of 33.0 plus one minute - I'd have a correction of insulin like you are sposed to - and next minute it would read less than 1.8 - I can't tell you the ACTUAL numbers of course since meters don't tell you - they just read HI or LO - and that's what mine said every flipping time - multiple times daily. I often felt nauseous and so tired I literally fell over and slept. I didn't know then but of course 'all that' is a sign that you are on the verge of something called DKA which in common parlance is a diabetic coma - which if not blue lighted to A&E within about 10 minutes can result in either death, mental impairment or mega damage to some internal organs. Great!

None of these diabetes problems appeared until I started having memory problems - did they? Or was it the other way round? God knows but sod it - I'm going to Google 'diabetes' .......... some time later I found a D forum who truthfully, saved my life by explaining to me that the BG seesaw was 99.9% likely to be caused by - STRESS. OK - so the memory stuff caused the D stuff.

So - why have I still got this memory thing?

Off we went to my niece's wedding in Australia - sis and family moved to Oz in 1998. Been there about a fortnight, chatting to my sister one evening about nothing consequential after another relaxing and enjoyable day - and mid sentence, as I intended and actually started to say 'Well, what I think, Gill, is ....' just in that split second after I said 'think' - I FORGOT HER NAME. And so had to change it after the pause , to '.... if you ask me, is ....'

This is my ONLY sister; the one I'd had ALL my life as she was older than me. Her name was Gillian. I'd known her over 58 years at the time - though I would only probably remember the odd 55/56 years of that. Was I scared? - you bet your sweet bippy I was. Terrified by that.

Thought about it a lot. Came home after 3 weeks as planned, thought some more. Said to Pete - I JUST wonder you know - if my D isn't causing this, you don't suppose it could be either the statin or the ~sartan do you? cos that's what I'm wondering. He wouldn't have though so - well, neither would I !! BUT - just in case, cos I CAN - I've decided to try packing one of em up - I mean it's not like I've actually got hogh BP or high chol, is it? so I'll pack one of em in for a month and see how that goes, then if there's no improvement - I'll start that again and try packing the other one up for a month.

That night (took em both at night at the time) I sort of juggled he packets and the Simvastatin box was the winner (LOL) so I just took the Losartan only from then. About 10 days after, I sneakily thought I was seeing an improvement. After another 10 days - Pete started to notice there seemed to be an improvement - and it continued to improve. My diabetes had settled down too.

Then someone on my D forum posted a link to an article written by a GP in the UK who had diagnosed himself with early onset dementia/ Alzheimers because he's had exactly what I had, his partners at the practice agreed with his diagnosis and that he couldn't carry on as he was a risk to himself and his patients and they'd negotiated his early retirement 'package' with their pension provider - when he came across something that made him go - Hang on!! and stopped taking HIS the statin - and after a few month's rest, he was back at work and firing on all cylinders! I wish I could remember his flipping name - the article ISTR was in the Independent or the Telegraph - not a tabloid anyway.

Later I came across 'The Great Cholesterol Con' by Dr Malcolm Kendrick Amazon product ASIN 1844546101and other such blogs, articles, books - Dr Briffa, Zoe Harcombe and all sorts of other people saying the same thing.

That statins do NOT do what we were always told they would and did do.

They will NOT actually reduce the amount of placque anyone already has. They are not sure, one way or the other, whether they prevent any more forming or attaching. It is a FACT that we all need the 'good' LDL (it's what facilitates the mending of the neural sheaths in your brain and everywhere else, overnight - without it all your nervous system would perish and die, therefore so would you) and it's only VLDL - VERY low density lipids - we need to eliminate. There is no argument that they do not lower your LDL - cos they do and that is an absolute fact. But a) is that actually necessary? b) is it ALL the LDL or only the VLDL (I strongly suspect it's all of it - from my own experience!!) c) will this actually lower the risk of placque building up on your artery walls in the first place? Not every CVD is caused by 'hardening of the arteries' in the first place! - so to relate the effectiveness of a placque reducing drug to ALL CVD data is going to be misleading! and d) you know these common side effects (the main one they acknowledge is muscular damage) what the hell ELSE do they do that might put us off that you didn't bother to tell us about, bearing in mind you didn't even admit to THAT one, in the first pn though you KNEW about it from the Trials !!!

Please remember that doctors and nurses only know what they know either because they have been TOLD that is what happens and how it works - or they have seen 'it' do what it says on the tin for patients who they have personally treated. Usually both of those things. They have NOT actually experienced any of these conditions - or the treatments for them!! themselves. So in fact a lot of their 'wisdom' is only 'hearsay' LOL When it's more mechanical - like the Supervets operations, that's different cos you can actually physically demonstrate it! LOL

At the end of the day - only YOU can decide. All doctors can do - is advise - and they can only TELL you, what they have been told. And if the NHS says if you don't get X% of your patients over 40 on this drug you won't get paid/will get your arse kicked - they'll try it !

Thank you for your detailed reply. I very much appreciate your taking the time to do it, most informative

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Jenny (@sedge), you seem to have gone through a lot of trauma and I hope that your health is now improving. I too became worried about the side effects of statins and read a number of books - two by by James B Yoseph (one of which I mentioned in a previous post on this thread) and quite a lot of other research. One particularly interesting article that I came across last year is shown below: -

I Would Not Take Statins

by Christiane Northrup, M.D.

In Western Medicine, drugs are created to treat symptoms as opposed to the root cause of the condition. If you only suppress your symptoms, instead of also addressing the cause, your body will often protest by developing so-called “side effects” to medication or even by developing another dis-ease. This is how our bodies talk to us. But, there is nothing “side” about these effects—they are the direct result of the drugs.

Many of the most popular drugs being prescribed for millions have significant side effects that just don’t outweigh the risks.

Statins for Heart Health
Statin drugs are prescribed to lower cholesterol. And the myth is that lowering cholesterol is the key to preventing heart disease. But the latest research has shown that things are far more complex than that. The truth is that statins deplete the body’s CoEnzyme Q10 (CoQ10)—a vital nutrient for producing energy in the cells. Of all the organs, the heart requires the most energy and CoQ10 to function properly. So why take a medication for heart health that depletes a vital nutrient shown to support the heart—as well as every cell in your body?

Low levels of CoQ10 have also been linked to depression and dementia, as well as muscle weakness, fatigue, pain, and nerve damage—all of which are also known side effects of statins. And because your body makes less CoQ10 as you age, taking any medication that lowers CoQ10 is not advisable.

Further, fat—and fat in the form of cholesterol—has been vilified as the enemy of a health heart. Actually, sugar is the real culprit, not fat, because sugar causes inflammation. And this inflammation taxes the cardiovascular system and the entire body.

If you want to protect your heart, start by reducing inflammation. This means a healthy diet and supplements that are high in antioxidants. Taking vitamin E has been shown to keep blood platelets slippery (so fewer blood clots) and reduce inflammation.

These days I am firmly of the belief that many health problems are actually caused by the very drugs that are prescribed to aid recovery.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am bad because I haven't been to the doctors for about 8 years.

If I feel ok I avoid being told I am not.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
My husband was put on statins after developing diabetes after the car crash that maimed him for life. He was very tired all the time, had muscle aches and headaches ( not surprised the doctors said, knowing what you have been through) . 7 years later he read an article in The Telegrapt about a man who was almost crippled with pain and fatigue. This man went on holiday to Spain, but forgot to pack his medication. Within a week he was playing a round of golf and felt wonderful. The medicaton he forgot to take was a statin. So Steve decided to stop his Statins. The improvement was almost instantaneous. For 7 years this drug made him ill. He is now on Istimbe which is ok for him. But,based on his experience, and research I have done, I would rather take my chance with high cholesterol than blight my immediate life with a drug that causes awful side effects. Besides which, the medical profession and or scientists are continually moving the goal posts. Not so long ago 7 was a great cholesterol reading. When was it dropped to six and under? Maybe when statins were produced and a market was sort? Cynical, that's me!

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I had a similar experience @Cat53. For years I had been taking Fluvastatin and Ezetimibe in combination. My quack said that my cholesterol was not low enough so doubled my Fluvastatin dose. Within a few months I could hardly walk and the muscle and joint pain was unbelievable. The quack refused to accept it was the statins but I stopped taking the drugs completely. The pains went quite quickly ( about three months) but it took more than two year and a lot of hard work in the gym to restore my damaged muscle mass. I have also worked hard to lose some weight and this has brought my cholesterol level down. My best advice to anyone is beware of statins lose weight and exercise instead.

colo60

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
Dewsbury
Funster No
MH
merc vito 108cdi
Exp
Not sure this is the right place for this but here goes.

I cannot take statins because of adverse side effects my doctor had put me on Ezetimibe, a non statin cholesterol reducing drug. I was wondering if anyone is taking the and if so whether they have had any adverse effects and whether it has lowered their levels.
I've been taking stats for a year, read a lot about them on varios sites, what I see is a multi million pound industry, are medics leaned on to keep the dollar spinning ? a lot believe so, NOT being a medical pro I would NOT advise anyone to stop or to take, a personal choice, I did notice that grapefruit kept popping up regarding cholestrol ,, acts apparently as a alternative ? whats interesting when reading my adverse condition paper that comes with my tablets, is not to eat grapefruit or the juice as it kinda higher the statin dosage, does that mean it does the same job as a stat ? , grapefruits would nt be pushed tho I guess, Not a million dollar empire there lol.

CeeJay13

Free Member
Sep 16, 2015
The North of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Returned 2015 after many years of kids and other expenses!
@sedge. Similar story here, not as bad, but frightening!

Diagnosed Type 2 in 2011, immediately put on Simvatatin as at 5.2. Working long hours, lts of pressure and didn't notice how I was forgetting things, just put it down to getting older (not been at this age before). I would write procedures for people to follow explaining quite technical stuff, which could take several days to develop and then two weeks later I would have forgotten I had done it.

Last straw was end of last year when we were at a 'do' and I said hello to some old friends calling them by name. Sat down to have a conversation and couldn't remember one of the names. Turned to my wife and mouthed 'What's her name?' She mouthed back 'What do you mean'?. I asked the question again and she told me.

Had a Diabetes appointment a few weeks later, mentioned my 'problems', she gave me a dementia test, on which she had to think about one of the answers! Based on this she stopped the Statins for 3 months and it was like a cloud being lifted.

Unfortunately, Cholesterol is still high, Atorvastatin prescribed, into my 3rd month and despite the lower dose, getting cramps and memory is staring to get flakey again. Off to see the Quack to see what can be done. Diabetes under control (Metformin), but Cholesterol at 5.1 and down here above 5 and you are given Statins.

BTW Diet is good, weight is OK (BMI 26 and working on it - never been above 28), fitness is OK.

Aug 19, 2010
trawden lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have been taking stats since, since I wish I can remember lol, seriously I have taken them 10 years or so plus various blood pressure which from time to time gave me symptom problems gout, knee probs and similar had to have the tablets changed but not the stats, I do give them thought from time to time i understand that cholesterol is needed for brain function and the skull I came across this recently

http://thecardiackiller.com/video.p...ation.com/safeframe/1-0-2/html/container.html

It looks a better option but does it check out, is it true?
Thoughts on it please John

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've been taking stats for a year, read a lot about them on varios sites, what I see is a multi million pound industry, are medics leaned on to keep the dollar spinning ? a lot believe so, NOT being a medical pro I would NOT advise anyone to stop or to take, a personal choice, I did notice that grapefruit kept popping up regarding cholestrol ,, acts apparently as a alternative ? whats interesting when reading my adverse condition paper that comes with my tablets, is not to eat grapefruit or the juice as it kinda higher the statin dosage, does that mean it does the same job as a stat ? , grapefruits would nt be pushed tho I guess, Not a million dollar empire there lol.
At your own risk......read on !

http://www.rxlist.com/grapefruit-page3/supplements.htm

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have been taking stats since, since I wish I can remember lol, seriously I have taken them 10 years or so plus various blood pressure which from time to time gave me symptom problems gout, knee probs and similar had to have the tablets changed but not the stats, I do give them thought from time to time i understand that cholesterol is needed for brain function and the skull I came across this recently

http://thecardiackiller.com/video.php?campaignid=313244766&adgroupid=19702560126&targetid=&device=t&devicemodel=samsung+sm-t320&creative=78674819286&utm_expid=111324480-6.NbLoCPoKTdWSA-a1-mhBJg.0&utm_referrer=http://tpc.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-2/html/container.html

It looks a better option but does it check out, is it true?
Thoughts on it please John

To be honest John, I didn't go to the end of the presentation but what I saw was the classic hard sales pitch. Based on some things we already are familiar with the Doctor attempts to convince us he has a secret answer to our problems and frighten us that if we don't accept his solution we are going to die shortly. Although I didn't go to the end I am sure we were going to offered a substance we can purchase. Correct me if I am wrong. but we already know that there are good and bad cholesterols and that antioxidants are good for us. These antioxidants can be found in our food and I doubt we need supplements to obtain them.

What do you think about the presentation.

Aug 19, 2010
trawden lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Did our doc's try to convince us to take stats because they are good for us!
The presentation does give the foods required the supplements are instead of eating them but are the foods plasable or do we just keep taking the stats which by the evidence from other funsters are not too good and no I didn't know that there is good and bad cholesterol,do stats kill both? if so how are you replacing the good cholesterol with? and do we really need them! Plus if the antioxidants are in food do we need the stats at all, do some people naturally have or need a higher level of cholesterol to function properly? should we all eat fish to lower the cholesterol and get mercury poisoning from the fish, the question is, is the cardiackiller.com an answer the doc is qualified and yes he is selling a product but do we believe him or just keep talking stats and loose our memory.
The presentation is great the hand is a really quick drawer, I can only draw a pint.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Everyone seems to think about the side-effects of medication the real question is what is the side effect of taking it vs what is the effect of not taking it thats part of why NICE were set up. If you read in the papers one day statins are great they will make everyone live for ever next day loads of side effects marketed by evil drugs companies and GPs on targets of course the truth is somewhere between the two. I would go to your GP and ask our question asking others on here is a bit like expecing to like blue cheese if others do it is a waste of time they all have different opinions as they all have different medical conditions (even if they all have cholesterol problems). If you don't trust the GP change to one you do!!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
WARNING

Be very wary what and how you refuse from your Doc as it may bite you in the ass, as it very nearly did me
and ask to see any comments your records may have in that regard

I second that advice. My medical records said that I self-discharged against medical advice and missed a follow-up appointment. When I queried this it was found that in actual fact someone with a similar name had self-discharged and the appointment I had "missed" had never been sent to me, the appointment letter stil being in the secretary's diary. I have made sure that a copy of the letter of apology has been lodged with my records both at the hospital and at my GPs as the self-discharge and missed appointment come up on every request for medical information.

Oh and my hospital medical records have me as male........ when I asked that it be corrected I was asked if I had had gender reassignment!!!! They will not admit that at some point someone ticked the wrong box.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Just another truth to share with you all. Your cholesterol levels go up if you knock yourself on a cupboard corner, are ill or have an injury. So if you are having a test, make sure it's well after any of the above. No medic has ever told me why the cholesterol levels were lowered from 7 to below 6 or 5 if you live where @CeeJay13 lives!

Remember Thalidomide? Prescribed by doctors. I like my doctors, I trust them to heal me when I go to them, but I don't trust big pharmaceutical companies.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Remember Thalidomide? Prescribed by doctors. I like my doctors, I trust them to heal me when I go to them, but I don't trust big pharmaceutical companies.

What you moaning about Cat? Thalidomide prevented Morning Sickness exactly like it said on the tin !!

I was going to type 'LOL' then but that is absolutely inappropriate.

Just for interest - if you are a female of childbearing age, statins are 'contra-indicated' since even if you have no intention whatever of getting preg, they cause foetal deformities anyway. Not 'might'. They definitely DO.

(Odd that a foetus could be so affected by something that's alleged to be 'harmless' ..... my granny didn't teach me to suck eggs, however she did warn me there's usually not any smoke, where there isn't also a fire ...... )

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
What you moaning about Cat? Thalidomide prevented Morning Sickness exactly like it said on the tin !!

I was going to type 'LOL' then but that is absolutely inappropriate.

Just for interest - if you are a female of childbearing age, statins are 'contra-indicated' since even if you have no intention whatever of getting preg, they cause foetal deformities anyway. Not 'might'. They definitely DO.

(Odd that a foetus could be so affected by something that's alleged to be 'harmless' ..... my granny didn't teach me to suck eggs, however she did warn me there's usually not any smoke, where there isn't also a fire ...... )
If you find a medication without any side effects it won't do anything!!!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
What I mean is there are no medicines which help some conditions without side effects somewhere else thats the con of herbal medcines they claim to be able to cure things with no side effects (but no clinical trials no recommended dose ). The fact we all live so much longer than previous generations is partly due to the advances in medcine.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
I did quite a lot of research last year with regards to statins and, in an attempt to help others, would like to share my findings: -

THE PROBLEM with statins

Statins
do not reduce or block cholesterol. What they do is cause the transfer of cholesterol from the blood stream into cells. Thus the blood cholesterol lowers.

Cells are poisoned by statins because statins block the making of isoprenoids from mevalonate.

Isoprenoids (a.k.a. prenol lipids) are a large and diverse class of over 25,000 molecules. Our bodies are protected with these cell-friendly molecules that are made from mevalonate. They are essential for our cells to replicate and renew.

Mevalonate is cell food made from the food we eat. It travels down the mevalonate pathway to make cholesterol and isoprenoids – both of which stimulate cells to grow, replicate their DNA and divide into two cells. DNA must replicate before cells can divide. Without cell division we would die. Statins block Mevalonate production.

Reductase is one of the enzymes made by cells. It converts food into mevalonate. Statins disable reductase, thereby blocking the Mevalonate Pathway, which is an important metabolic pathway within the body. It plays a key role in multiple cellular processes. DNA or cells cannot replicate without an intact mevalonate pathway.

If you are taking statins you are being systemically poisoned by a toxic chemical product - a mycotoxin. Statins are derived from disease-causing food mould – a fuzzy cobweb-like fungus. Every cell in your body has been exposed to the toxin. The more potent the statin, the faster your cells die.

THE ANSWER

Recovery from statin poisoning begins with eliminating other poisons.

Eliminate water polluted with chlorine and/or fluoride. Drink only bottled spring water.

Eliminate any food or drink that has a long shelf life. Their preservatives and additives can be toxic. Pasteurisation kills nutrients like vitamin C and the B vitamins.

The following foods should be avoided: -

· White flour in any food

· White or processed sugars of any kind in any food

· White potatoes

· White rice

· Anything with corn syrup or high fructose corn syrup

· Nitrate-containing meats

· Anything containing MSG or hydrolysed protein

· Anything containing partially-hydrogenated oils

· Corn or corn products (most corn is now genetically modified)

· Soy or soy products (most soy is now genetically modified)

· Anything with ‘modified’ or ‘GMO’ on the label

· Artificial Sweeteners

· Artificial Preservatives

· Artificial Dyes

· Frozen Food except meat or fish

· Meats that have not been raised on certified organic farms

· Canola Oil, Vegetable Oils, Corn Oils

· Hydrogenated (or trans fat) oils of any kind

· Roasted Nuts

· Blue Cheese

· Alcohol in any amount of any description

· Recreational Drugs

· Off the shelf Snack Foods

· Fizzy Drinks

I must confess that I've not adhered to all the advice above but I have been off statins for several months now with no noticeable problems arising from not taking statins.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I did quite a lot of research last year with regards to statins and, in an attempt to help others, would like to share my findings: -

THE PROBLEM with statins

Statins
do not reduce or block cholesterol. What they do is cause the transfer of cholesterol from the blood stream into cells. Thus the blood cholesterol lowers.

Cells are poisoned by statins because statins block the making of isoprenoids from mevalonate.

Isoprenoids (a.k.a. prenol lipids) are a large and diverse class of over 25,000 molecules. Our bodies are protected with these cell-friendly molecules that are made from mevalonate. They are essential for our cells to replicate and renew.

Mevalonate is cell food made from the food we eat. It travels down the mevalonate pathway to make cholesterol and isoprenoids – both of which stimulate cells to grow, replicate their DNA and divide into two cells. DNA must replicate before cells can divide. Without cell division we would die. Statins block Mevalonate production.

Reductase is one of the enzymes made by cells. It converts food into mevalonate. Statins disable reductase, thereby blocking the Mevalonate Pathway, which is an important metabolic pathway within the body. It plays a key role in multiple cellular processes. DNA or cells cannot replicate without an intact mevalonate pathway.

If you are taking statins you are being systemically poisoned by a toxic chemical product - a mycotoxin. Statins are derived from disease-causing food mould – a fuzzy cobweb-like fungus. Every cell in your body has been exposed to the toxin. The more potent the statin, the faster your cells die.

THE ANSWER

Recovery from statin poisoning begins with eliminating other poisons.

Eliminate water polluted with chlorine and/or fluoride. Drink only bottled spring water.

Eliminate any food or drink that has a long shelf life. Their preservatives and additives can be toxic. Pasteurisation kills nutrients like vitamin C and the B vitamins.

The following foods should be avoided: -

· White flour in any food

· White or processed sugars of any kind in any food

· White potatoes

· White rice

· Anything with corn syrup or high fructose corn syrup

· Nitrate-containing meats

· Anything containing MSG or hydrolysed protein

· Anything containing partially-hydrogenated oils

· Corn or corn products (most corn is now genetically modified)

· Soy or soy products (most soy is now genetically modified)

· Anything with ‘modified’ or ‘GMO’ on the label

· Artificial Sweeteners

· Artificial Preservatives

· Artificial Dyes

· Frozen Food except meat or fish

· Meats that have not been raised on certified organic farms

· Canola Oil, Vegetable Oils, Corn Oils

· Hydrogenated (or trans fat) oils of any kind

· Roasted Nuts

· Blue Cheese

· Alcohol in any amount of any description

· Recreational Drugs

· Off the shelf Snack Foods

· Fizzy Drinks

I must confess that I've not adhered to all the advice above but I have been off statins for several months now with no noticeable problems arising from not taking statins.
Quackery and scaremongering.
Statins are derived from disease-causing food mould? I suppose we should all reject antibiotics then?
I've also done a lot of research into statins and one thing I've noticed is that "experts" that come out with lists like that are almost always "doctors" of Chiropractic or acupuncture or some other quackery.
If you can produce peer reviewed scientific literature that supports ALL of the above "Recovery from statin poisoning" it will be worthwhile debating.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back