Static van lpg cooker (1 Viewer)

Dec 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi folks I'm midway through my self build conversation and have been looking at cookers. My wife wants a full size cooker. My question is I have been offered a nearly new 50cm lpg cooker from my friend who is scraping their static I realize that the ignition system is 240v and not 12v. Is this the only difference between touring band and static vans if so could I install one in my campervan and either convert it to 12v or use the 240 as I'm installing a invertor along with solar panels.

Is it that simple or am I missing something any help and suggestions would be much appreciated

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
If you do install it I think you’ll be elected chef for any meets!

Serioisly, I can’t see why it wouldn’t work, apart from taking up a heck of a lot of extra room, but I wouldn’t bother with connecting the 240v. Just use a gas igniter or gas lighter. We did this on the boat for year ps with no problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Tonydom
Dec 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have been looking at the dimensions of the cooker in question against a spinflo/Thetford full caravan cooker it's been sold in Argos for £179 it's the Bush AG56SB Free Standing 50cm 4 Hob Single Gas Cooker and the the Bush one is only 10cm deeper than purposes built caravan cookers but around £320 cheaper I'm trying to find out the weight difference

OP
OP
Tonydom
Dec 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just found the weight 36.5 kilos for Bush oven

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I Don't know what the build quality is like on the cooker from the ststic, but do you think it will stand up to the bumps and vibration of travelling in a moho ?

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
It will be fine and replacing the ignition unit should not be a problem, are you sure it's 230v? a lot of domestic cookers are battery ignition

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Our static has a 240v ignition, can’t see a problem if doing without it and lighting the gas another way.

OP
OP
Tonydom
Dec 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Regarding the build quality hadn't thought of that but I'm getting it for nothing so no big loss. I will double check the ignition voltage Argos are selling it new for £179 it's the Bush AG56SB 50cm Single Oven Gas Cooker - Black538/8631 if anyone has the time to take a look and tell me what they think.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I've had a look and it is 230v so you can either convert it or light it with a gas lighter. If not on EHU the oven light will not work.

I see you have now run out of free posts, if you pay to become a full member you can get more help. Either way good luck with your project

OP
OP
Tonydom
Dec 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
That's me subscribed took out a years subscription to see if I like campervaning lol anyways thanks for your help I'm looking for reasons not to use the ex static cooker but in all honesty I can't really justify £500 for a Thetford when I have been offered the Bush for nowt.
Plus this conversion cost is like a run away train lol

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Hi and welcome, lots of info here on self builds, have a search. I did think of doing it once but chickened out, so much to think about. But the joy of being able to say "I did that". So good luck and if you need help ask here, there are so many people that have faced similar problems you will nearly always get some advice.

Deleted User
I think you need to find out what the Bush oven will need in terms of ventilation and installation as it is designed to be used in a house with a lot of natural air flow.

Thetford require a certain amount of airspace and air flow around the cooker and therefore area needed to fit it is bigger than the cooker. The installation requirements will be spelt out quite clearly for the Thetford to take into account air flow and ability for unburnt gas to safely escape etc. Would you have all this information available for the Bush oven.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Tonydom
Dec 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
@ borderland I will try and find out that information and compare it with the Thetford thanks for pointing that out

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back