Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Anyone any ideas why a combined sink and hob produces static.
Almost every time Lynda touches the cooker she gets a static shock and jumps back
It does not matter even if the van has been stood for days she still gets them, we have no carpets down in the van so it isn't that.
I have threatened to fasten one of those earthing straps that cars used to have on to her bum but she is not impressed.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Guess the cooker will be earth boned as its a gas appliance. Wifey and surrounding areas will not be tied to earth in anyway. More prevalent on hook up?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We used to mould a lot of carbon fibre and glass fibre parts and when you "crack them out" that's removing them from the mould tool it produced a lot of "static" if you were working at a steel framed bench at waist height it could give you quite a shock to the nether regions. I used to put a strand of carbon fibre inside my shoe and let it trail on the floor, carbon fibre being a good conductor of course.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
laneside

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
As suggested above its the person that carries the static the cooker/sink only gets the blame as it sends it to ground.

Martin

Thanks, that makes sense, I thought it was the other way around.
She sits on the long seat and shuffles to get off and so charging herself.

Hey will a pair of hob nailed boots help her?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks, that makes sense, I thought it was the other way around.
She sits on the long seat and shuffles to get off and so charging herself.

Hey will a pair of hob nailed boots help her?
Only if the nails go right through:LOL:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Sounds as if the appliance is being used as the main earthing point , which if it is , its dangerous and wrong .

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Sounds as if the appliance is being used as the main earthing point , which if it is , its dangerous and wrong .

No... what was said is that the hob is likely bonded to the earth which is quite normal both at home and in mh.
Whether it was or not it would still be possible for a static discharge I imagine..
Andy

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If it's a non (mains) electric hob you could break the earth bond, else get wifey to discharge herself first though a metal instrument.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
If it's a non (mains) electric hob you could break the earth bond, else get wifey to discharge herself first though a metal instrument.
What you mean like @Tootles :rolleyes: ....
28093.jpg

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Dry skin allows static to build up so moisturising hand cream is a good idea. I also find that allowing the charge to disperse slowly by touching the van interior wall first before touching metal stops the crackly shocks.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Only if the nails go right through:LOL:
Hi.
First wife used to complain that i had her running around in circles,so i nailed her other foot to the floor as well....
Tea Bag

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Anyone any ideas why a combined sink and hob produces static.
Almost every time Lynda touches the cooker she gets a static shock and jumps back
It does not matter even if the van has been stood for days she still gets them, we have no carpets down in the van so it isn't that.
I have threatened to fasten one of those earthing straps that cars used to have on to her bum but she is not impressed.
Reducing static shocks
You need to look to the sources of static electricity to reduce your penchant or inclination for getting shocks. Since it is difficult to know the exact source of the static electric charges, you need to do some experimenting to reduce the problem as best you can.

Increase humidity
Static electricity is more active when the air and materials are dry. The humidity is normally lower in the winter, and heating the house further reduces the humidity. Also, locations with a desert climate usually have very low relative humidity.

One thing you can do is to use a humidifier to raise the humidity in the MH. That may help a little. Also, having a plant or plants in the MH (just remember to water!) helps increase the humidity level.

Moisturize skin
Some people have very dry skin that may cause the buildup of static charges, especially in the winter. One thing to try is to use moisturizers or lotions on your skin. The only problem with that, of course, is that you might have to put it all over your body...........................:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

You can experiment with different types of moisturizers and in different locations......:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle: Perhaps just putting lotion on you hands may be sufficient, since shocks and sparks usually come from touching objects with your hands..........;););)

Clothes on skin
Some clothing materials, such as polyester materials, cause more static electricity than others when they rub against your skin. If you have a problem with static electric shocks, you might try wear 100% cotton or wool clothing.

Since women often wear undergarments made of nylon or other synthetic material, they should try cotton items to see if it gives them relief from the shocks........:)

Clothes on other materials
When you slide out of a car/MH or off furniture in the MH, you can create static electricity if the combination of materials is right. Try putting a cover on the seat and changing the materials or your clothes.

You could try spraying things with an anti-static spray, such as is used to prevent static cling. However, I'm not sure how long the anti-static spray lasts or if continued use can discolor things so be careful.

Pajamas and sheets

If your pajamas and bed sheets are the type of materials that create static electricity when rubbed together, you can be bothered with shocks all night long on a dry winter night. If you have dry skin, the problem can be amplified.

Try using pajamas and/or sheets made of different materials. Cotton does not seem to develop as much static electricity as some artificial fibers.

Soles of shoes
People get shocks from walking on the rug in the MH ( I know you said no rugs in your MH ) Certain synthetic rubber soles on shoes create a lot of static electricity. Experiment with different shoes.

The reason you build up static electricity usually comes from walking on a rug with certain types of shoes, when the weather is very dry. Static electricity is more common in the winter, because the air is often dry.

On a day that you get a lot of sparks, you can experiment walking on the rug with different shoes to see what type of soles create the most (or least) static electricity. This could be a shocking experience.....:)

Body chemistry
Individual body chemistry has a significant impact on how electric current affects an individual. Some people are highly sensitive to current, experiencing involuntary muscle contraction with shocks from static electricity. Others can draw large sparks from discharging static electricity and hardly feel it, much less experience a muscle spasm.

Also, some people see to have a tendency to build up static electric charges in their bodies. The problem may be due to their body chemistry, such that their blood has an excess of ions. One theory is that too much salt in your system causes that problem. Another theory is that your system is too acidic.

Preventing shocks
The only way to prevent getting a painful static electric shock when you touch a metal object or other electrical conductor is to ground yourself to drain off those excess static charges.

Use a static shock eliminator
There are devices on the market that can be used to drain off static electric charges from your body. They have simple electronics that slow the discharge of electrons and prevent a spark.

static_shocks_reducing_eliminator_keychain.jpg

Static shock eliminator fits on key chain

Discipline needed
You really need discipline to remember to ground yourself before touching metal objects of conductors. However, if static electricity shocks are a major problem with you, the extra effort should be worth the trouble.

Now after this shockingly long read, go boil the kettle and see what happens

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@laneside are we right to assume that you don't get shocks? If so then it must be just down to something specific to your wife, but if you BOTH get it and your hob has an electronic ignition etc I'd get it checked out!

My hubby used to be really bad with 'shocks' one day he bent down to stroke the dog and a massive spark jumped from his hand to the dog's nose ... poor thing ran a mile as it hadn't a clue what had happened and wouldn't go near him for days!

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Since women often wear undergarments made of nylon or other synthetic material, they should try cotton items to see if it gives them relief from the shocks........:)
See, I told you it was those knickers. :whistle:
Ger em orf, quick. :LOL::LOL:

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Totally of no help whatsoever to the OP, but someone may find this more extreme example of static build up interesting.

Way back in the early 90s when I lived at the coast, I volunteered with the RNLI and as part of our lifeboat crew training, we carried out regular offshore winching exercises with colleagues from Air Sea Rescue.
We were warned very early on that as the winchman was lowered to our boat, never to make a grab for them to assist them aboard, until they had first "earthed" on the water.

I never saw it go wrong, but helicopter rotors can generate high levels of static electricity around the aircraft and which apparently could physically blow a person out of the boat if the winch cable was not earthed before anyone coming in to contact with it !!

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Years ago we had a teletext machine at work on hire from Radio Rentals (remember them??) It had an attached keypad which I kept blowing up because I had lots of static. RR rep got fed up of coming to replace it and as I was the main user instructed me, before using it, to "discharge myself against the wall", which I always thought sounded quite rude!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Earthed or not is a red herring - a large metal object has sufficient capacitive connection to ground (without a physical connection) to discharge static.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back