startmonkey 400 (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Any one have one? Are they as good as it says?
Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> startmonkey400 will automatically start delivering 400 Amps of continuous power.

Have you seen the size of those wires !!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
My thoughts too Brian
Take a look at 400amp jump leads Link Removed

We use 700amp + leads for large diesel engines with flat batteries
G

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
i don't have one of these but they a an established company with some pretty good products..a quick check shows some excellent reviews.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Peak starting current is only for a second or so. The wires will get warm but there may well be some sort of cut-out to protect them.

My concern is at that price it would be cheaper to carry a spare battery and some jump leads.

OP
OP
cranky
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I was thinking of the weight, which is minimal, but I see it will only start up to a "small commercial" size van. I have just bought a Clarke jump start 400 which will start up to a 4 litre diesel but its bloody heavy so I wouldnt want to carry it far!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I was thinking of the weight, which is minimal, but I see it will only start up to a "small commercial" size van. I have just bought a Clarke jump start 400 which will start up to a 4 litre diesel but its bloody heavy so I wouldnt want to carry it far!

Yeah.. I have one if those.. I don't put it in the van now... Never needed it and it really is far too heavy..

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My concern is at that price it would be cheaper to carry a spare battery and some jump leads.

Don't we all carry at least one spare battery !!

I sometimes throw in the jump leads.

A leisure battery must store more electricity than a piddling little lithium battery. Looking at the gadget and my RC model drive batteries I'd take a guess at 5 to 10AH.

At a pinch you would not even need jump leads, any old piece of flex from leisure battery to starter, hold in place for a few minutes ( but not if it gets too hot ) then give it a go.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Like Brian says we all carry a L/B so either a spanner or jump leads job :thumb: certainly not £200 -- if your van battery's flat it's flat for a reason so pay around £80 / £100 and buy a new battery and save yourself 100 quid and a lot of hassel :thumb:I have always found every jump start pack I have ever owned I have never used but end up lending it to people who needed a new battery :Doh:
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

thats because it contains a proper battery....albeit a motorbike one at around 20ah....unlike that other thing with a Polymer Lithium Battery which sounds like it belongs in a torch.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
There are holes in the write up on startmonkey page but don't discount Litthium batteries too quickly

http://www.skyrichbattery.co.uk/

I've seen these in use on race cars, at the last meeting at Loton Park there was a chap with an Evo5 clad in mini bodywork and his engine developed a fault and wouldn't start. He cranked this thing over and over and over for minutes at a time and at one point moved the car several yards on the starter motor and the battery never showed any signs of fading. Chap in question sells them, here's his website:

http://www.skyrichbattery.co.uk/

D.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There are holes in the write up on startmonkey page but don't discount Litthium batteries too quickly
D.

How can you discount Lithium, they had the first 100 mph lap of the TT course this year with an electric bike. That's an average speed of 100 mph for 37 miles so topping 150 mph regularly.

But they aren't magic, a tiny lump like this thread started with cannot hold that much energy. In the race bike a lot of the total weight and bulk is the battery.

This motorcycle one is interesting. Lithium batteries are very temperamental. One badly designed pack downed the whole fleet of the Boeing Dreamliner. Same with laptops bursting into flames. They need very careful charging and discharging so how they can produce a drop in replacement for a motorbike is puzzling, it must have some serious electronics inside to monitor charge and discharge.

I know of cases of modellers charging Lithium in their car boots and the whole car going up in flames. I have a Lithium battery flameproof hold fro transporting my batteries.

And to be really thought provoking, every phone, every laptop, every tablet comes complete with a Lithium battery.

I deliberately abused a failing ebike battery, even I was shocked at the way it lit up spurting flames.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back