Starting to plan my new van/truck

Discussion in 'Self-Build Motorhomes' started by Gromett, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +29,031
    You might be right on the rust. but every square bodied merc I have seen over a certain number of years old has the tin worm round it's lower regions... I honestly do not want to go down the route of another panel van no matter the make if I can help it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +29,031
    Sorry didn't respond to thsi point. The CL's are very accomodating of pretty much any vehicle in my experience. My current van looks very commercial, it is very shabby and tatty looking and never even raised an eyebrow. I have seen all sorts on the CL network (y).

CC main sites are a different matter altogether though ... I have had problems on one CC site but never on a CL.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +29,031
    Considering using an IBC tank for my water. Will need to get the truck weighed after the rear doors fitted to see what size I can fit.

https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/ibc-containers/ibc-tanks.html?potable_yes_or_no=887

The plan would be to only partially fill this when on the road. But when I book into a site for 2-4 weeks I fill it to the top. Will have a similar sized waste tank.
    Having a months supply of water and grey tankage would make my life so much better :D

• Like it Like it x 1
  4. veevee

veevee Funster

Ratings:
    +1,767
    If you have very large tanks partially filled it may be a good idea to have baffles fitted as X kgs of water sloshing from side to side is mighty powerful

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +5,417
    • Like it Like it x 1
  6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +29,031
  7. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,745
    Exactly my thoughts too ... internal baffles are a must but it could make cleaning awkward.

• Like it Like it x 1
  8. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +29,031
    Cleaning? What's that? :p

I have never cleaned my fresh water tank as it is always in use.

9. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +29,031
    If I was putting 600L or 1,000L tank in a 3.5T van then yes absolutely. However in a 7.5T truck that is likely to be close to it's full weight, 600L of water is not likely to cause that roller coaster ride feeling you get in an unbaffled tank. My current van weighs in at under 3.2T and I can carry up to 160KG of water in an unbaffled tank. This equates to 5% of the vehicles mass. In my truck it would be 8% of the mass for a 600L tank. If I go for the full 1,000L and I start to feel the effects of the sloshing I will go for the pipe method of baffling. Basically you get some 4-6" flexible pipe normally used for french drains and just push a bunch of it into the tank. It doesn't reduce the capacity by a huge amount but stop the sloshing immediately.

But to be honest, even If I go for the 1,000L tank I will never carry the full amount of water. I will probably be carrying 200L at most as that is about 7-10 days supply for me. 200L is only 2.6% of the total mass of the vehicle so definitely won't have any effect on the vehicle.

I have looked at the cost of a baffled tank previously but they cost way more than a palletised and caged IBC rated for potable water.

What I will be doing though is getting the palletised version of the IBC and using some 5mm plate steel on the underneath of the truck and the same going through the legs of the pallet. These will be joined by 10mm stainless steel threaded rod to hold it securely down. It will be located right at the front of the truck hard up against the bulk head to prevent inertia related issues.

It is something I have considered before and for this build.

I wasn't happy about putting the unbaffled tank I currently use in my van, but after a few weeks of concern I never noticed any sloshing effects so don't worry about it so much.

Thanks for the suggestion though (y)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    • Like it Like it x 2
  10. veevee

veevee Funster

Ratings:
    +1,767
    Roundabouts and such like are a problem, 200 kgs of water hitting one side of a tank and then the other may cause problems for the tank fittings, ie those fittings connected to and inside of the tank.

If I were to build another camper (not likely though) I would baffle a tank. Our current 120 ltr tank in a B680 Hymer is audible at roundabouts when the water level is less than 75% full. I like your idea of the French drain type pipe, use them a fair bit for their original purpose. They are surprisingly effective too.

11. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,745
    @Gromett ... any further developments?

12. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +29,031
    Still saving. Going to take quite a few months to get it together. I am now aiming to start building in March 2019. Going to try and get £10-12K together before I start so I can take 2 months off work to do the build.

• Like it Like it x 1
  13. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Ratings:
    +5,719
    I bet you end up doing some work in that time, self employed never usually get it to work like that.

14. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +5,417