Starting to plan my new van/truck

Discussion in 'Self-Build Motorhomes' started by Gromett, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Ratings:
    +5,719
    Don’t think you have to worry about what drivers say as your not getting to be doing that many miles like a delivery driver. Condition and spares price and availability would be higher on the list.

2. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +5,417
    Parts is quite a important thing as some of the Ivecos are have a few NLS items .

Having a background that was involved in transport for a good few of those years , my first choice would be the DAF .

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,745
    @Gromett ... just a thought, have you ever driven one of these types of trucks? I appreciate that you won't be moving so much but if they aren't that 'nice' to drive as your current van you might regret it ... o_O

4. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +29,031
    Yes, I have driven one or two plus did 3 days training in 18T one as well.

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +29,031
    Sorry NLS?

Thanks, that is reassuring (y)

6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +29,031
    When the drivers mention reliability and comfort I tend to listen. I won't be doing 10's of thousands of mile a year but I do the occasional long trip to rallies etc.

7. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,745
    NLS ... no longer supplied/supported?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  8. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +29,031
    Back to the drawing board on my plans..

I just found this video to see what is under the box.

I was going to have the bathroom/toilet and kitchen in the front 2 metres of the truck. However because I need to mount the black waste tank directly under the toilet this is not possible.
    Later models have an exhaust/pollution management system on the other side to the fuel tank.

Looks like I will need to wait until I get mine to figure out the layout. There is also some variability in the height of the inside of the box which means I won't know if I can have a deep enough double floor for grey/black tanks inside yet as well. I will just have to be patient :(

9. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Ratings:
    +5,719
    Would it not be best to have waste tanks outside and insulated rather than inside , in case you ever have a leak etc ?

10. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Ratings:
    +29,883
    I've often thought of doing something similar but here that truck , @ that age,would cost you a minimum of 10k euros with the average being 15-16k + average kms around 500k. :(

11. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +29,031
    The plan is if I can make a tall enough false floor is to have the grey waste inside. Whatever I do the black waste will be outside.

12. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +29,031
    I have been looking at trucks at that age and mileage for around the £3.5K to £4.5K. If I have to go a little older I will.
    I am not spending a huge amount on my first truck conversion in case it doesn't suite me. If it does suite me I will be saving up for a much newer truck and doing another conversion in 4-5 years.
    Having full timed for 8 years in a very small van I am not 100% certain the large truck will suite me. But only one way to find out (y)

13. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,565
    Karl, I keep reading and I'm not convinced a good older Hymer that you could customise would be better in the long run. You would have more room than you have now, it would be winterised all sites CL's would be accessible to you,if you got a keeper you could personalise it to suit you.
    Just my ramblings :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +29,031
    I don't want to move to another panel van based vehicle that is even older than my existing one. I am looking for a base vehicle that is at least 4-5 years newer than my existing one. If I was to go for another panel van I would be looking for one that was in the 2011-2012 year range to give me another 8 years. I just don't have a £20K budget at the moment. Also it would be a sideways move as I wouldn't gain any space and would actually lose payload. With a truck because they are industrial I am prepared to go for a little older as they are much more ruggedly built. A 2007 Hymer would cost me around £20K and I am looking at a budget of half that in reality.

The beauty of a self build is I get a newer base vehicle with a customised layout and in the case of a truck I get a lot more space..

Thanks for your suggestion though (y)

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

Ratings:
    +592
    Look out for mobile library vehicle for sale, usually DAF 7.5 toner will have a side (hab) door and heating already fitted. They are always low mileage and not driven by idiots

16. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +29,031
    Already answered that one I think :p

17. veevee

veevee Funster

Ratings:
    +1,767
    Converted a Mercedes T2 Panel van, 609D LWB which allowed plenty of payload and had a cruising rear axle for economy. Here's a later T2 in bus form but the panel van version is around too, SnapOn used to use them a lot.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-56-...932853?hash=item1ece866435:g:lAAAAOSwbtNaAZqT

Most rugged vehicle ever had, with the bulkhead left in as secure as you ever would need. Unbreakable and servicing and parts available all around the world.
    Was also available in 709D and 809D form for extra power and payload but a rear axle working too hard at 70 mph which affected economy.

Only one drawback, compared with a box or a coach built it's a little narrow, but we managed to live in it for 3 years in some very demanding places and for 2 people it had all the space you could need.

Our second choice at the time was the Iveco 7.5 tonne panel van, pretty robust too but didn't have the familiarity with garages in remote places and the parts service that Mercedes has.

Our LWB van was 7.3 m long and under 3m high if my memory serves.

• Like it Like it x 1
  18. ianthebuilder

ianthebuilder Funster

Ratings:
    +26,984
    That merc looks perfect for a conversion,,,

• Like it Like it x 1
  19. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +29,031
    I have converted a bus before, it was a nightmare for many reasons. Mercs are notorious for rusting which is not ideal for a fulltimer. To be honest the big very square box on the back of an industrially built truck are very attractive otherwise I would stick with an Iveco panel van.

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  20. veevee

veevee Funster

Ratings:
    +1,767
    Not trying to convince you Gromett just adding a suggestion (which isn't the bus bodied version). Spent most of my working life in various areas of the motor trade and the T2's didn't have that reputation in the circles I moved in but bow to your experience.

ps: Because you are reliant on CL's or campsites I think that a box van shape may cause you problems of acceptability as boxes certainly have a commercial vehicle look. Where's as a very large panel van is already half way to looking like a MH. Just an opinion mind.