Starting Issue Iveco Strange one (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
So today I went to start the bus (Niesman Flair) Iveco based 2012.

When I turned the ignition I just got a click. (auto box) .

Now most would say that's a starter motor issue. But it doesn't seem to be. Battery was fully charged, loud click from somewhere. but keys out, re-inserted tried again and same, then again, then no issue starts fine.
Now four or five times out of five, starts no issue. then the same, click,

However, I have noticed that if I ever so slightly back the key off in the ignition after the click, it turns over?

Not too worried as it does start but just a bit bemused by it.

Any ideas? gueses to the cause.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
It sounds like your pre engage may not be pre engaging fully and therefore not closing the main starter motor current contacts...
That could be damaged teeth preventing full engagement over parts of the flywheel..
Andy..

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Or could be faulty ignition switch??

Cheers James

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Or could be faulty ignition switch??

Cheers James
I'm leaning this wat.

Faulty starter, bad earth cable, bad park switch on gbox, obviously dodgy battery.
Problem is with the above is why would it behave this way? it's the obvious pointers but If the starter was faulty, winding back the ifnigtion key just a tad makes it work, bad earth cable, seems more possible but why would it still start if I just back the ignition off? Battery is fine and charged and when the issue isn't there it starts fine.
its boggling.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Worn or burnt sliding contacts in the ign switch Paul. Most likely burnt and will get worse before total failure. .
If it starts repeatedly when backing off the key it can't possibly be the starter, earth wires, gearbox inhibitor switch or anything.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Worn or burnt sliding contacts in the ign switch Paul. Most likely burnt and will get worse before total failure. .
If it starts repeatedly when backing off the key it can't possibly be the starter, earth wires, gearbox inhibitor switch or anything.
that's what I was thinking.

As it's new, as in commenced today, I will keep an eye on it. just been out and it started no issues.

pretty sure everything else is fine as like you say it starts no issue.

Macca1954

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
1st port of call is check the earth or make a new one. Costs nothing

May 21, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair
Exp
Since 2010
I’ve been having a similar issue with my 2010 Iveco based Flair for a while.
Ignition lights every time but every so often starter won’t engage. Turn key off and on again and generally away it goes. Sometimes hold it in start position for a few seconds and the starter then engages.
My local commercial garage who service a lot of these Iveco bases reckon it’s more than likely the starter solenoid.
I have a new starter in the shed but before I got round to fitting it the problem seemed to have stopped for a while. Of course as soon as we came away on this trip it’s manifesting itself again. I’ll change the starter over the winter and clean up all connections. If that doesn’t fix it then I guess the next suspect could be the switch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back