Starter battery replacement advice please (1 Viewer)

me you and pogo 2

Free Member
Aug 16, 2016
Bolton Area - Westhoughton
Funster No
MH
Vantage SOL
Exp
ex-caravanner & ex-biker
image.jpg
Hi,
Please can you advise which battery would best for me, I think we need a new starter battery for our Fiat Ducato 2.8 JTD engine.

The current battery is rated 90ah and 840 cold cracking amps.

Should I get a replacement with these specs or take the opportunity to "upgrade" to a better battery?

The battery tray looks like it will take a larger battery.

I saw this one on line, any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards
Dave

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I would have a look here: https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk
Excellent service and the web site suggests a price match/beat offer.

Interesting..
I just tried the site.. Put in my reg,,
Van is similar to the OP's a 2.3 2012 Fiat Ducato.

All the recommendations it gives me are all lower spec than those of the original. 68-74 amps and 570-680 cranking...
Prices look ok but they dont seem to quote like for like as per the original.

Found this one..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Found this one..
That's a good battery, according to my research. I never bother with the 'enter your registration' process when dealing with stuff for the motorhome, as they rarely produce suitable results!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
That's a good battery, according to my research. I never bother with the 'enter your registration' process when dealing with stuff for the motorhome, as they rarely produce suitable results!

I think I have seen it mentioned in a past post.. Mine is now almost 6 years old and starting to show some low voltage even with solar fitted... Thinks a new one will be needed for the winter.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
i always use the "opportunity" of failure to fit the highest capacity battery that will fit , as have found over the years that the battery lasts longer the less hard it has to work as lead acid doesn't like deep cycling .

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
The first question is 'is starting easy' if it is you may not see much benefit from a higher CCA or AH rating. My gut reaction is to go for a like for like replacement. If starting is difficult you may well get some relief from a chigher CCA and AH battery as I may well give the engine a better kick over than you are getting just now. Spending more does not always give better performance.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I wouldn't touch a battery that didn't have known maker name on it - all the rest just have a fancy sticker - would you buy it if said Micky Mouse? you have no idea what you are buying.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I wouldn't touch a battery that didn't have known maker name on it - all the rest just have a fancy sticker - would you buy it if said Micky Mouse? you have no idea what you are buying.

Good idea in principal but even the big names these days can buy boxes from China and put sticky labels on them. The real question is just how good their quality control is.

OP
OP
me you and pogo 2

me you and pogo 2

Free Member
Aug 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Vantage SOL
Exp
ex-caravanner & ex-biker
Hi and thanks for all of your advice, comments and recommendations.

I decided to go for the Varta H3 (100ah, CCA 830) as discussed above, I called Battery Megastore just to make sure that the it is compatible, dimensions etc before I purchase it. Very helpful and I asked about delivery charge and it was an extra £7.50 making it £113.95.

One further quick look on eBay before ordering and the exact same battery from the same company - Battery Megastore was only £107.95 including free next day delivery, so I purchased it via eBay this morning.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Varta-H3-...770646?hash=item41be12b296:g:tmQAAOSw8-xZzN9A

So I will have a little job to do tomorrow now!

Thanks once again to all.

Regards
Dave

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hope your battery is easier to replace than my Hymer !
Bent knees, straight back and arms outstretched with weight of battery on the ends = long soak in the bath afterwards

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
(y)
I have the ebay link saved.. will wait to make sure yours fits, pretty certain it will..
Then I will get one ordered, mine wont last this winter..

OP
OP
me you and pogo 2

me you and pogo 2

Free Member
Aug 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Vantage SOL
Exp
ex-caravanner & ex-biker
Hi,
Great service from Battery Megastore, arrived on time. The carrier emailed and sent a text with the ETA.

It took me about 30 minutes to remove and fit the new one.

8mm nut on the negative and 10mm on the positive.
10mm bolts on the battery tray clips.

Disconnected the negative, wrapped it up and tucked it away.

Pulled the battery forwards a little to make access to the positive a little easier.

Be aware of the plastic tray under the battery, I tried to lift the battery and tray out together without realising that there is a drain plug at the back connected to the tray, so I levered the battery out of the tray and on to the wood using a heavy duty large screwdriver. The new battery went straight on to the original tray and fits perfectly.

I used a bit a scrap wood to help take the weight and to slide the battery out. Straightforward enough and not too heavy to manoeuvre and lift out and in.
1.JPG
3.JPG
2.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG

Reconnected, bolted everything back up and fired the engine up!

Regards
Dave

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Just a bit of advice on vehicle battery (please). Ours failed to start the van (Ducato 2.3) this morning on the marina carpark in Whitby - sorry that's irrelevant! Luckily got a jump start from another 'vanner. So now I'm looking to buy the same Varta battery as has been suggested.
BUT, a couple of months ago on the last long outing we had the smell of bad eggs which I think was coming from the vehicle battery situated under a panel on the floor in the cab.
Question - Am I right that this smell comes from the sulphuric acid boiling in the battery? In which case, does that mean a battery fault or could it be an overcharging fault caused by something else?

Thanks
John

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Just a bit of advice on vehicle battery (please). Ours failed to start the van (Ducato 2.3) this morning on the marina carpark in Whitby - sorry that's irrelevant! Luckily got a jump start from another 'vanner. So now I'm looking to buy the same Varta battery as has been suggested.
BUT, a couple of months ago on the last long outing we had the smell of bad eggs which I think was coming from the vehicle battery situated under a panel on the floor in the cab.
Question - Am I right that this smell comes from the sulphuric acid boiling in the battery? In which case, does that mean a battery fault or could it be an overcharging fault caused by something else?

Thanks
John

Strongly recommend you read up on this quickly, there are plenty of threads about this with dire warnings. If uncorrected this fault could kill (you or your MH). The gas and fire risks are not to be underestimated. (y)

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Vanman and Dave for the advice. I'm doing exactly as you both suggest. Trying to get hold of a Auto-Electrician as we speak.
Many thanks (y)

Musicboy

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
fulltiming since 2003
Sometimes ya get bad egg smell ftom the catalyst. Maybe ???

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We had a Bosch Silver engine battery fitted quite early in our 11 year ownership of the last MH and it never let us down. I'm led to believe that Varta batteries are made in the same factory and all that's different is the stickers on the outside. We've got a Varta leisure battery anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back