Start of a new Journey. (1 Viewer)

Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Hi There, Have just registered on this site so will introduce myself. I am South African came to the UK in August 2015 with a plan to explore Europe and eventually drive back to South Africa after 5 years.
I bought a Landrover Defender 110 hard top in 2016 which I completely stripped and rebuilt with new galvanised Chassis, Bulkhead and all new Puma doors. We have travelled a bit with it and its been great but I'm African and a bit of a sissy when it comes to the cold, Sleeping in a roof tent in the UK winter is definitely not for warm blooded Africans. I decided I needed something that I could live/cook indoors so I bought a defender 130 which I again completely stripped and rebuilt again with all galvanised parts. I then built a demountable camper that fit on the rear. This was really great, then we started reading a lot of forums and watching a load of you tube clips of people travelling, Well this has now changed my mind and we have decided to spend a year touring across the US, Canada and Alaska before shipping the vehicle back to the UK and driving back to South Africa. With this in mind I decided that the Defender 130 was too small for a 2 year expedition, and I needed a toilet and shower if I was going to spend extended times away from campsites boondocking so to speak.
Ive now Procured an Australian Ex Defence force U1700L Unimog. It was used for carrying a 13ft container across rough terrain4x4 off-road so has a torsion free flatbed. This is great to use as a base to build a camper on. So that is where I am at the moment, Ive got a quote to have the camper built on the rear but its a hard pill to swallow at £24k just for a shell. So Ive reached out to some commercial body builders for a quote to build a refrigerated box on the back, if no luck there I may resort to self building a box on the rear.
Ill start a thread when Ive decided ow to progress.
Regards
Shayne

Attachments

• Mhambi.jpg
    Mhambi.jpg
    487.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2783.JPG
    IMG_2783.JPG
    347.3 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Dankie Boedie. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This sounds like it could get interesting but to keep us informed and ask any questions you're going to have to subscribe to the forum.
You only get 5 free posts then you can only read and not respond.
By transferring fifteen British pounds to the bosses secret bank account will give you a whole year of access to the forum.
See 'SUBSCRIBE' at the top of any page for details.
Well worth 15 quid.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Welcome aboard.

Spent most of the 70's in RSA touring in a VW Kombi, inbetween work commitments.

Amazed how much you've crammed in since 2015. Looking forward to following project number 3 :D2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back