Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
:) Anyone have any favourite viewing spots.......that don't involve 3 mile hikes? :rolleyes:
Realise it's a bit early yet but like to plan (y)

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
The Somerset levels in January/February - I've been three times now and been lucky on one where millions of starlings whirled into a vortex and appeared to get sucked into the ground - magic! And this was after the amazing flocks' assembly and flight dances in the gathering dusk.

OP
OP
W

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Were you in the motorhome ? if so where did you park up.
Have been down there but were in a friends car.......... and the parking at that particular spot was very busy.
Would live to find somewhere within walking distance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We used to get thousands and thousands of starlings every autumn in the estate I live in. Last few years hardly any :(

Where have they all gone?

OP
OP
W

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
:) I think the numbers have decreased over the past 30 years or so . They are now protected, and listed as a conservation concern?
Have not heard a mobile phone tune for years :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Gretna. on the English Scottish border, seen them on a few occaisions

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Just north of the Wildfowl Trust at Slimbridge there are reed beds which attract spectacular flocks throughout the winter. Numbers have halved since the eighties though.(n) A local uni has just started a survey into the decline of the Starling and hope to come up with some answers so that they may be protected.(y)

OP
OP
W

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Just north of the Wildfowl Trust at Slimbridge there are reed beds which attract spectacular flocks throughout the winter. Numbers have halved since the eighties though.(n) A local uni has just started a survey into the decline of the Starling and hope to come up with some answers so that they may be protected.(y)

Can you actually view them at dusk if you walk along the canal or is it too far from there?

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Can you actually view them at dusk if you walk along the canal or is it too far from there?

In the past we have watched them from some high ground which overlooks the reed beds. Don't have a sat nav or a detailed map so my apologies for being unable to give you a specific location. Wait out for a bit though and I'll look on OS maps online.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Just had a quick reminder look and Frampton-on- Severn and St Mary's Church ring a number of bells with the canal a good route to the reed beds as you suggested. (y)

OP
OP
W

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
(y)Thanks for that will put on the list for somewhere to go this winter.
:)I just find them truly mesmerising.
:D Even better put to music...... fascinating to see the ? falcon/sparrow hawk in amongst them.
Jude

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
From the mainland side of the causeway out to Lindisfarne. Not a HUGE flock but still great fun to watch coming down to roost.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
(y)Thanks for that will put on the list for somewhere to go this winter.
:)I just find them truly mesmerising.
:D Even better put to music...... fascinating to see the ? falcon/sparrow hawk in amongst them.
Jude

The local Peregrine hangs about on a large buoy out in the estuary where the gas barge that blew the old railway bridge up foundered. When she gets in amongst them the flight becomes frenetic. She's successful about twice in five stoops on those occasions we've been privileged to witness the hunt. Will definitely go back this winter too to have a look, and thanks for getting our last remaining old grey cell working. We had nearly forgotten this wonderful place ourselves. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back