stargazing (1 Viewer)

Jonny5

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Funster No
I can remember my dad buying a telescope at an auction around 30 years ago (probably for peanuts) and letting me and my brother mess around with it. Now Im the Dad and my 6 year old is obsessed with space and the natural world (look out Brian Cox). Anyway I wouldnt mind stowing a telescope and a book or two on how to use it in our Burstner Argos so I could try to look at a few planets and a galaxy or two with him when we are out and about in the van.

Any advice on where to start as I have not a clue.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
They do stuff at the dark sky place at kielder forest , think they do things at autumn half term. Something to do with the cycle but it’s a good time to see stars, I am no expert but quite fancy it myself.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
@Jonny5 I bought this book at Waterstones for £6.99,it's a very easy guide to what you can see each month and also explains "stuff" about the cosmos. The main advantage of it is you can look up at the heavens and hold the book up too and it's a really easy way to identify constellations, stars and planets. I bet there's a phone app somewhere that let's you do the same, but who doesn't like a book ? :)
20190401_101739.jpg
20190401_101834.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Depending on your budget, I would be looking at something with at least a 6” aperture for planets and galaxies, however, there is lots to look at with a smaller decent telescope.
I would also recommend “Turn left at Orion”. Brilliant book that will show you how to find night time objects easily.
As for apps, Sky Safari or Distant Suns are very good. They are paid for but there are many free apps around that show basic stuff.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back